The Truth Is Strangler Than Fiction

Other non Stranglers stuff here

Moderator: StanInBlack

Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

The Truth Is Strangler Than Fiction

Post by Rodney Blackstaff »

Have you ever had one of those experiences, when totally out of the blue, something with a Stranglers connection, pops up and smacks you in the face (figuritively not literally!). Two nearly memorable events have enriched my life in recent years and so whilst sat out on me decking with a cool Caffrey's to hand and one of Belgiums finest imitation 'havanas' in my mouth, I thought I would share these with you and in some way they might enrich your lives and lend themselves to spawn any more such happenings, being repeated on this forum.

About 7 years ago we holidayed in the far reaches of Cornwall. During this particular holiday, my wife wanted to go to the Eden Project, so being the dutifull husband that I am, we went (no arguements this time). When you actually get there, if you are not paying attention you could think that it's a fabric of someones imagination, as the place is in the bottom of what I would say is a 'hole in the ground'. Anyway, we goes in and walk down to the bottom of this hole where the biospheres are. Now it's a bloody hot day, which for a holiday in this country is not your typical weather of late, but hot it was, so we go into this 'big greenhouse' and it even fucking hotter! We walk around, nice plants and loads of little animals, which we can't find (must have been too bloody hot for them as well!) Anyway, wifes having a good time, so are the kids, so I'm having one as well. Then we goes into the second glass thing and would you believe it, it's even hotter and in this one you can climb up to the top on the landscaped rocks and paths which fill the bloody thing. So off we troop, up to the top where you can stand by the roof and admire the waterfall that they have built also. It was on this route march up the hill, that my attention was drawn to a familiar sound, one of those moments when you think, "fuck, I know that but what is it?" Didn't help that my ears were leaking sweat, which muffled the sound, but I could definatley hear something very familiar. My eldest also heard it and just as she turned to me I said, "That's Peaches!"
Well it was infact the bass line from Peaches, but plain as can be we could hear those beautifull notes. That was it, I had to find out where this was coming from, so we made our way to the top and then on our decent, it stopped, only to be replaced but some more music of unknown title. We made our way out into the fresh, hot air and followed the music, till we came to an area where these sounds were coming from. There we found a band, well not the type of band I normally go to see, these tallented musicians made thier music on rubbish. One of them bands where they use bottles, tubes, dustmins and the such like to make music by hitting them. The bass sound was played by a guy who had around half a dozen, big plastic pipes and he hit them with table-tennis bats on an open end, to make the sound. Bloody good this band was too. When they had finished I asked the chap, if it really was 'Peaches' I had heard or had the heat gone to our heads. He confirmed this to be true, stating also that whilst he was not a great fan of the band he knew of them and just loved the bass line to that song. He then confirmed that they would be back on in 30mins and would indeed be playing the same music as before, so we went off, cooled down, well as much as we could and then returned to see the performance. And low and behold they played the song with the Peaches bass-line, and I was right up at the front!!! (no Gizz, didn't have me camera - pree digital days!)

Ok, if you have made it this far then here comes no.2.

Earlier this year my wife, 2 sons and my good self holidayed in Majorca (this again was the wifes idea, payement for too many concerts in recent years). We had a lovely time, wasn't that hot but was comfortable t-shirt weather for the 2 weeks. One of the places we visited was the 'Caves De Dracs', which I must admit was a joint decision as I wanted to go there also. There's something intriging and serene about underground caves, and they're very cool (heat wise) places to go. In this set of caves, you wind yourself down to a natural undergound lake and at this lake they have erected a load of seating where you are asked to sit down, great idea that, seats for sitting on. Anyhow, once everyone is seated the lights go out and the lake lights up - brilliant! Then you hear this music slowly moving acroos the water and then appears 2 little boats. On the first boat is a lady playing a harpsicord and in the second is a string quartet, and they both glide past, very slowly whilst playing classical music.

Come on you know what's coming next don't you!

Yep, as they go past the front of the audience so they start playing 'Fred and George'! Absolutly amazing that they had even heard of it, let alone play the bugger, but there as plain as the ear can hear, in cool conditions, was the JJ classic 'F&G'. OK so it wasn't exactly an original JJ compisition, but the music he borrowed from that other bloke, who was quite famous in his own right, Choppin wasn't it?

So there you have it, starnge things happen when you least expect them to. Thank you for listening and be inspired to share you life enhancing moments with the rest of us.

Take care, best wishes

Rodders
I see your outstretched hand through the closing door
But it's a far better thing I do than I have done before
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Great stories Rodders, thanks for posting.
Claireinblack
kent
Ian9331
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Ian9331 »

Nice Rodders. Good post.
jbinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jbinblack »

That's just like what happened to me the other night, I chanced upon an irate caterpillar.
Trust in God, but lock your car
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

Good one Rodders!

:lol:

Are you sure it was a cigar you were puffing on, like?
This can't be undone

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Great stories Rodders!

No camera :?: :roll: :shock:

:lol: :lol:

icecube- :lol: :lol:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

icecube wrote:

well you should know, we shared a room together

Rodders
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Rodney Blackstaff wrote:
icecube wrote:

Rodders

You guys.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Claireinblack
kent
Rodney Blackstaff
Ugly
Ugly

Claireinblack wrote:
Rodney Blackstaff wrote:
icecube wrote:

Rodders

You guys.....

:lol: :lol: :lol:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve_1WpQiVk8
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

Rodney Blackstaff wrote: