Gigs July 1978?

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
Alan A Hillier
The Man They Love To Hate

Gigs July 1978?

Post by Alan A Hillier »

Jim

Having a quick butchers though your gig archive for 1978 I noticed that there is no info after the B&W Tour ended in the Canaries. I just had a long conversation with my brother Steve who, along with Johnny Gatward, went on this summer tour of the USA. This was a ‘showcase’ tour with Gigs through July at the Whiskey a Go Go in LA, the Sunset Marquee on Sunset Strip and other Gigs in San Francisco. Prior to the US trip there were a few other gigs in Estoril Portugal and Lubliyana Yugoslavia which are not mentioned.

The one thing he is absolutely categorically certain about is that prior to these US gig at the end of the black and White on 22.6.78 in Erlangen, Germany Hugh was found on the floor pissed as a proverbial newt, was eventually sobered up and still managed to play the gig (Class) . I asked how pissed was ‘pissed’ and .he replied “when we found him in his hotel room and he was completely unconscious with his strides around his ankles and could not be woken”..
That’s pissed.(A scoop for you there Jim)

I’ll try and get a bit more info on these gigs , but don’t hold your breath because his memory is much worse than mine.

What was I talking about?

Al
TO INFAMY AND........................... BEYOND
Dom P
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by Dom P »

Hey Al
Any info on The Raven tour of Europe, late November 1979? That's pretty scant too, and there's info coming in on gigs in Bordeaux, etc, not on Jim's mega list... any of the Boys go on that trip?
Dom P
"I think you guys are going to have to come up with some wonderful new lies, or people just aren't going to want to go on living." -- Slaughterhouse-Five
doninblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Gigs July 1978?

Post by doninblack »

Alan A Hillier wrote:The one thing he is absolutely categorically certain about is that prior to these US gig at the end of the black and White on 22.6.78 in Erlangen, Germany Hugh was found on the floor pissed as a proverbial newt, was eventually sobered up and still managed to play the gig (Class) . I asked how pissed was ‘pissed’ and .he replied “when we found him in his hotel room and he was completely unconscious with his strides around his ankles and could not be woken”..
That’s pissed.(A scoop for you there Jim)
Al
Classic. That might explain why when I once asked Hugh about the band playing in Coleraine in 1977, he just replied, "Don't remember". :wink: