1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
dacinblack
SHAKESPEARO

Re: 1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by dacinblack »

may 1977, guildford civic hall, £1.25 for the ticket. Far too long ago to remember details, but do recall, that the band had spent time removing the seating, only for it to be put back. Then at the request of Mr cornwell, the audience, removed them again, which i think left the band being banned from the civic, for a number of years
Good days !
BikeinBlack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by BikeinBlack »

My first gig was also my first Stranglers gig. It was at the Taunton Odeon Sept `79, three days before my 17th birthday. I think it was the first date of the Raven tour.I was already into the Stranglers by then but none of my mates wanted to go, that wasn't going to stop me going though.I rode the twelve miles to Taunton on my old suzuki AP 50 moped,it was freezing. I remember parking outside & seeing all the punks queing up outside :smile:
When i bought my ticket i remember thinking i don't wanna be gobbed on by all the punks down the front,so i had an upstairs ticket :oops: (it was my first concert) good view though.

I didn't have the Raven album at the time as it had only just been released,so i didn't know any of the new songs.

I do remember the big raven backdrop with the eye lit & the amazing lights shining out over the crowd from under the platform Jets drumkit was on. There were also lights surounding Daves keyboards which pointed upwards so when turned on it looked like Dave was behind bars. 8)

Another thing that stuck in my mind was Hughs massive baggy trousers :lol: Oh & the uncut strings on his guitar which he was famous for.

Bought a T shirt after the gig,it was black with the raven head in an orange velvet kind of material on the front.Looked great but after a few washes came off leaving the raven head grey. :( Still got it somewhere i think. Anyone remember those?

Ahh... the memories :wink:
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Brilliant mate! Same era as me..welcome YOUNG man :wink:
LONDONLADY66
SHAKESPEARO

Post by LONDONLADY66 »

My first live experience of the Stranglers was the first Tube TV show which I got into by tricking the security saying I had come up from London and was meant to be on the guestlist. The nerve you have when you're 17! I got my Grip single signed too & JJ said I looked 'too young to have that single' 8)
My first proper gig was at Newcastle City Hall on the Feline tour. I managed to get a cheap ticket off a tout but missed the first 2 songs! I remember standing on the seats at the front although most seats had been 'removed' by the end of the gig! Next on the tour was the 2 nights at Hammersmith which ended up as 1!!!
Glad they're a four-piece again!
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

LONDONLADY66 wrote:My first live experience of the Stranglers was the first Tube TV show which I got into by tricking the security saying I had come up from London and was meant to be on the guestlist.
Now that is coooool!!!! Great story....Punk lives! 8)
johndunrob
SHAKESPEARO

Post by johndunrob »

being from guildford, my first stranglers concert was at guildford civic hall 1977, bloody hell where'd the time go
Lloydonceinblack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Lloydonceinblack »

My first Stranglers' gig was also my first gig: The rainbow 1.11.79 on The Raven Tour. They'd already played two nights there earlier in the tour but, luckily for me, added an extra date; a life-times' gigging was born. Still at it all these years later (that picture is of me crowd surfing at a British sea Power gig last year); only last week I was moshing at The Wedding Present in Portsmouth.

That first gig was a completely mind-blowing experience for me. The tickets were £3.00 and we had to ask one of our dads to write a cheque for £12 and send it off to the box office. We were four 15 year old school mates, all impossibly excited about being up in London together. We were upstairs in seats, but as soon as the first strains of Dave's mullah impression at the start of Shah Shah started up (I can't believe he did it live!) we were out of our seats and jumping. The bloke in front of us sitting with his arm around his girlfriend didn't appreciate it, but then he had long hair so we thought he was a tosser (I'm a bit more tolerant these days). It was sooo loud, but also pin sharp and so much better than listening to the album (no matter how good it is). We had the classic "last train" dilemma towards the end, but I'm proud to say we stayed. It was a long walk, but we were high as kites on this new drug: live music, so it didn't matter.

When discussing this with someone the other night, they asked me who the support band was, but we were too busy trying to persuade the barman to sell us a drink (we each bought our own - no one could afford to buy a round!) and generally soaking up the black-leather atmosphere in the foyer to bother with them. Can anyone help? I know they were supported by The Enid and Modern English at some of my earliest gigs, but I don't think it was them at the very first one.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

Great first post Lloydonceinblack. Like the picture - good to see that you're mellowing with age :!: ;-)

As for the support band on 'The Raven Tour' I can't help ya. I went to the Derby date with some mates but I think we missed the support band. I'm sure someone on here will have the answer.
tugg speedman
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by tugg speedman »

My first gig was the la folie tour 1981 I was a youngling 14 at the rainbow. I was totally blown away. I was standing on Hugh's side(off course) my last one was ally pally 90. I have seen various clips on you tube off mks 2-3-4 and i am pretty glad i didnt return I will keep my memories thanks. great forum by the way.
IN THE FAAAAAAACCCCCCEEEE
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

tugg speedman wrote:My first gig was the la folie tour 1981 I was a youngling 14 at the rainbow. I was totally blown away. I was standing on Hugh's side(off course) my last one was ally pally 90. I have seen various clips on you tube off mks 2-3-4 and i am pretty glad i didnt return I will keep my memories thanks. great forum by the way.
Nice one Tugg :!:
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

ThruBeingCool wrote:Great first post Lloydonceinblack. Like the picture - good to see that you're mellowing with age :!: ;-)
Seconded, nice memories there 8)
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
Barracuda
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Barracuda »

Saw an advert in music press for The Old Codgers at Nashville combined with rummours of Battersea warm up , this was only second gig in then young ish life . Crowd queuing outside venue and a triumph m/ cycle , join queue and doors at side of venue open to reveal Strugglers sounding checking ........gain entry to hallowed hall and then entertained by Pinpoint who feature Arturo lurker on vox and guitar ...they have great song called Richmond ..castigating posh london suburb ....place getting rammed and eureka the famous 4 arrive ...set features alot of black and white ..definitely sweden ..jj forgets words during ugly , Fee Waybill from tubes sings straighten out . End up standing on table and Lemmy is nearby , later informed by friend that geeky speccy guy is Patti Smith's guitarist .State of euphoria maintained for several days . :grin: