1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: 1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by theraven1979 »

I quite enjoyed it

Jim

Alias wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Well said - If you think about it it's really up there with your first snog, first time you rode Alias!....

When you die and key parts of your life flash in front of you it'll be there - mark my words!

Jim
Well said sir.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

I did think I'd got away with that one too. :(
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

'Why are you so edgy, kid ?'
mantheylovetohate
The Raven
The Raven

Post by mantheylovetohate »

Alias wrote:I did think I'd got away with that one too. :(
Lowering the tone again? :grin:
Did someone say "Wonky"?
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

mantheylovetohate wrote:

I can just picture Jim too, on his bike, bumping down one of those
Hovis street, whooping with delight.
I'm a comedian and poet, so anything that doesn't get a laugh is a poem. B.Hicks.

"Further modulation of the frequency rotation, Triggered waveband activation - near elation"

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Cobbled streets!

Jim
Alias wrote:
mantheylovetohate wrote:

I can just picture Jim too, on his bike, bumping down one of those
Hovis street, whooping with delight.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Alias
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by Alias »

Nae nickers.

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Secunded!

Great post Barracuda!

Got some pics at home of the Nashville gig with Fee Waybill on stage with the band.
theraven1979 wrote:Ruddy hell! "State of euphoria maintained for several days" I'd still be walking round to this day with a permanent semi :lol:

Jim
Barracuda wrote:Saw an advert in music press for The Old Codgers at Nashville combined with rummours of Battersea warm up , this was only second gig in then young ish life . Crowd queuing outside venue and a triumph m/ cycle , join queue and doors at side of venue open to reveal Strugglers sounding checking ........gain entry to hallowed hall and then entertained by Pinpoint who feature Arturo lurker on vox and guitar ...they have great song called Richmond ..castigating posh london suburb ....place getting rammed and eureka the famous 4 arrive ...set features alot of black and white ..definitely sweden ..jj forgets words during ugly , Fee Waybill from tubes sings straighten out . End up standing on table and Lemmy is nearby , later informed by friend that geeky speccy guy is Patti Smith's guitarist .State of euphoria maintained for several days . :grin:
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
stubsinblack
SHAKESPEARO

Post by stubsinblack »

I think that the support band on the Raven tour were called Curve or something like that. My first ever gig (any band) was the Stranglers' Lancaster University gig on the Raven tour in 1979. First ever gig - no idea what to expect - went v early, queued up for ages and got to the front but was pushed back as the place filled up. They opened with 5 mins and the whole place went mad. I didn't have any of the records at the time so I only knew the singles from listening to the radio. They did one which slowed down at the end (must have been Burning Up Time) one with a very intricate drum pattern (obviously Genetix) and a couple with very high pitched ear-splitting keyboard parts which made my ears ring for days afterwards. I guess that these must have been Shah and Sleazy. They also did Duchess which was my favourite song from that summer and the reason I was there. If anyone has the full set list I'd be v grateful. We waited around afterwards to watch the fireworks and then got back stage to meet the band. Dave gave me a can of lager. They all signed my programme which was drenced with sweat. JJ drew a huge kn*b on the page with his picture. I still have it somewhere. The gig was filmed for the BBC's tomorrow's world because the band were using some sort of pioneering pyrotechnics control system. Years later (2008 I think - after the Shepherd's Bush gig) I was talking to Dave about this gig and he recalled that the fireworks didn't work properly. A few weeks later I bough a second hand copy of Rattus for 99p from Siren records in Lancaster and haven't looked back. When they returned to Lancaster Uni the following year, I knew every word to every song. I'll be at Hammersmith tonight to see them for the umpteenth time.
Rockula
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Rockula »

In 1976 I was 14 and got all my musical education from my Uncle Gordon who was a Prog/Yes/Deep Purple/Pink Floyd obsessive.

He worked for a record company in some lowly position that had only one advantage...free gig tickets.

So my first gig was The Who in Wales June 12th 1976.

My second ever gig was the Roundhouse July 4th 1976. I went with Gordon 'cause he'd been told the support band sounded like Deep Purple. They didn't. :grin:

I have to confess though, at the time, I was more into The Ramones set and thought Flamin' Groovies were the best thing. That changed with 'Rattus'.

I saw The Stranglers 11 times between 1977 and 1979, then once in Ipswich in 1981, then at the London Dominion in 1985 because my wife had never seen them being a few years younger.

I didn't see The Stranglers again until 1993 when I was sadly unimpressed and a bit deflated.

I was far more impressed when I was taken (dragged forcibly) to see them on the Norfolk Coast tour in 2004.

Last time I saw them was at Hammersmith last year. I took my daughter who was mightily impressed despite only having been born when 'Strange Little Girl' was in the charts.

So, there you have it, I've only seen my favourite band 17 times in over 35 years. What a lazy sod.

I've only just joined the Forums here because I've never been much of a 'joiner'. But I'm glad I have.
ManInBrown
Georgie
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Georgie »

First one was London Shepherds Bush in 2008. Better late than never.
Kathinboots
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Kathinboots »

Anniversary of my first gig today. March 17th 1990 at the Cambridge Corn Exchange. Wish I could be there tonight to mark the occasion but there you go.
Boogie now, Dave!
CFCstrangler93
Down In The Sewer

Post by CFCstrangler93 »

Georgie wrote:First one was London Shepherds Bush in 2008. Better late than never.
my first time as well, i was 14 then :smile:
Save up and get my very own SLR