1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: 1st STRANGLERS GIG

Post by Greatkudu »

Southampton Gaumont Feb 81,support Modern Eon.Someone shouted for "5 Minutes" Hugh replied "You can go home In five minutes".First song "threatened".And they played the best version of "Sewer" that I ever heard.
T.F.P.R.H.G
Rats Rally

Post by T.F.P.R.H.G »

i used to go with a girl who ditched me for one of the modern eons
they where from skelmesdale woolback cnt . bitter me surly not .
Last edited by T.F.P.R.H.G on 08 Feb 2014, 20:11, edited 1 time in total.
Saidagibb !
jaydee1964
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by jaydee1964 »

Speaking on behalf of my future soninlaw .I took him to Newcastle gig last year ,were off back this year too ..he's normally a metal head ...but he was converted that night he's never sweated so much ...on the way back to the hotel he's like .I didn't expect them to be that raucous .I said what did you expect golden brown 25 times lol

"The ending of the day.......brings the cccaaaalllllmmm,that you've been waiting for........."
strangledinAuch

Post by strangledinAuch »

Raven tour 1979

Brighton Centre

opened with 5 Minutes

couldn't believe my eyes or ears!
See You At The Bar
surferbhoy
SHAKESPEARO

Post by surferbhoy »

kjblack wrote:Hello guys, 1st post here (appropriately about my 1st gig.)
It was the City Halls in Glasgow, 1977. A magical night: JJ in leather, Dave in that jumpsuit, Jet a massive frame behind his drumkit and Hugh sporting a ripped donkey jacket. The set was most (if not all) of Rattus as this gig was pre Heroes but I remember Dead Ringer and Dagenham Dave making an immediate impression on me.
The stage was getting invaded throughout the night and eventually had to get stopped early during Go Buddy Go when there was so many pe ople on stage you could hardly see the band. Because of this gig the Stranglers were banned from playing in Glasgow but the ban was lifted later in the year for the first Glasgow Apollo gig. A city councillor called Bill Aitken who was responsible for the ban was at that show and Hugh got him picked out by spotlight and dedicated the next song to him - "Ugly!"
The Glasgow Apollo was the scene of so many great nights but I think that the more intimate setting of that first gig made it so special. Last week at the O2 I got a taste of that special atmosphere by dragging my middle aged body down to the front for a bit of pogoing during the encores. I know I sound like a lightweight but I did my best!
I was at this gig too. We gatecrashed the Commissionaire on the door to get in. Doubt if he ever got his hat back! I may be wrong, but I think it was The Cortinas who were the support band.
kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

surferbhoy wrote:
kjblack wrote:Hello guys, 1st post here (appropriately about my 1st gig.)
It was the City Halls in Glasgow, 1977. A magical night: JJ in leather, Dave in that jumpsuit, Jet a massive frame behind his drumkit and Hugh sporting a ripped donkey jacket. The set was most (if not all) of Rattus as this gig was pre Heroes but I remember Dead Ringer and Dagenham Dave making an immediate impression on me.
The stage was getting invaded throughout the night and eventually had to get stopped early during Go Buddy Go when there was so many pe ople on stage you could hardly see the band. Because of this gig the Stranglers were banned from playing in Glasgow but the ban was lifted later in the year for the first Glasgow Apollo gig. A city councillor called Bill Aitken who was responsible for the ban was at that show and Hugh got him picked out by spotlight and dedicated the next song to him - "Ugly!"
The Glasgow Apollo was the scene of so many great nights but I think that the more intimate setting of that first gig made it so special. Last week at the O2 I got a taste of that special atmosphere by dragging my middle aged body down to the front for a bit of pogoing during the encores. I know I sound like a lightweight but I did my best!
I was at this gig too. We gatecrashed the Commissionaire on the door to get in. Doubt if he ever got his hat back! I may be wrong, but I think it was The Cortinas who were the support band.
Can't remember the support band at all.
It was a strange choice of venue, more used to classical music concerts, and the bouncers (if you could call them that,) were well out of their depth.
Not at all like the Apollo!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Boing!

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Brixton 1990 on the 10 tour. Brilliant night but the only time I ever saw Hugh with the band. :(
villainblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by villainblack »

1979 Raven Tour Birmingham Top Rank 8)
Please allow me to re-arrange your face sometimes
I'd really like to get to know you better
db63
Rats Rally

Post by db63 »

Raven tour Manchester .
s.harris

Post by s.harris »

28th March 1987 Portsmouth Guildhall (Dream tour Pt 2)
'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining'
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

my first stranglers gig was at the Hammersmith Odeon in either 81 or 82, must have been on La Folie tour - and could even have been the one that was recorded & released on the live album.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
I Hate You !