1st STRANGLERS GIG

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

I was at that gig too. I remember, in particular, the number one fan who was invited on stage to sing 'Hanging Around'.

Who was that man :?:
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Birmingham Top Rank , Raven tour , 1979 . Opened with 5 Minutes . Brilliant . Saw The Clash afterwards at same venue ( few weeks or months after ) - weren't a patch on The Stranglers .
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Looking at the 1979 bit on here - didn't realise it was the day after my birthday I saw them ( 15th Oct at Top Rank , Brum ) . Long time ago , suppose you forget these things .
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

any more?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Old Codger
Rats Rally

Post by Old Codger »

Yes Jim,

Stafford Bingley Hall, 30th May 1978.

Went on the train, glorious sunny day. Got there early and queued for a while, treated to a soundcheck drifting out of the building which only got us going more.

Run in squeeze up the front, Steel Pulse come on, WTF is this? Some missiles hit the stage, they stop playing. Hugh comes on and says they are our guests and if you lot don't behave we're not coming on, oops, silence and best behaviour from the crowd.

Stranglers, awesome! Don't remember the set, do remember one stripper for 'Sleazy' though! So hot and sticky, bouncers spraying water everywhere.

Went home buzzing, got stuck overnight at Brum New Street which was a bit scary for a fifteen year old.

I just bought Handsworth Revolution on CD to replace the vinyl LP and twice a year I go to Bingley Hall for classic motorbike shows, I relive that
first gig as I walk round the place with a bit of a grin on.

With Battersea later that year, leaving school and other things happening '78 was a cracking year.

Cheers

OC
Are these the devil, are they four (again)?
Ice
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Ice »

Well, as you've opened this up again Jim...

Mine was January 1982 on the La Folie tour. I'd only been into the band for a few months or so and they just so happened to come to Swindon. I was only 13 at the time and it was my first ever concert.

I don't remember much about the songs but I've got the gig on cassette somewhere! I do remember being scared stiff at all these punks - everyone seemed so tall! (Yes, I know - they still do :smile: )

My mum and my sister took me and some friends. I think my mum was relieved when I came out at the end grinning from ear to ear in my [borrowed] red bondage trousers. She had just seen a skinhead swinging drunkenly from some railings outside the venue when he slipped off and almost cracked his head open.

The highlight was JJ pulling someone on stage and de-bagging him in front of everyone for spitting. I was absolutely agog - I thought there was going to be a riot!

I also remember we got stopped by the police on the way home (along the dual carriageway by Blagrove, which was actually being built, for those who know the area). They were looking for someone who'd committed a crime. My mum said she hadn't seen anyone suspicious and that we were on our way back from a concert and the copper replied, "Oh, you've been to see The Stranglers!"

I remember my second gig more which was a year later at Goldiggers in Chippenham - a BRILLIANT venue which was an old cinema. By then, I was well into the band and thought I was a veteran because I'd been before and my friend hadn't. :lol:

But better than both of those was the time (God, was it 81 or 82?) when we met them - can you imagine what it's like to be told that your favourite band is coming to your school??? Even the blokes were wetting themselves in anticipation. I can't believe I did it but I tried to peel a piece of rubber seal from the window on JJ's Porsche as a keepsake!!! :smt050 We waited for hours to see them and were finally rewarded at about 10pm. Given that it was the days of pound notes, my friend got JJ to sign one - she spent it several years later :smt072 :smt013

As someone else said, whilst I still get immensely excited about Stranglers gigs (and I don't about any other band), nothing beats having been to a gig back in their hey-day when you're just a child at school. I always felt quite superior to my friends who were into Wham and Duran Duran :smt029 and we had JJ to look at! :smt095 :smt054 :smt060
Deadly with make-up on...
Andrew
Rats Rally

Post by Andrew »

Norwich UEA - 14th November 1981.

I was 14 and it was my first gig. Support were Mr Spratts 20th Century Popular Motets of whom I remember nothing, and Taxi Girl (French band who I bought an album from at some point). I'd been a Stranglers fan for three years and this was like a dream come true - they'd provided a soundtrack to my life up to that point and I could hardly believe I would be seeing them. Bought a La Folie tour t-shirt after borrowing the money from my dad who was a security guard at the event, and stood with a mate near the back. Remember them coming on to the strains of Waltzinblack and how loud it all seemed. Can't remember much about the actual gig at all, the only songs I remember are "Non Stop" and "Meninblack"! Then suddenly it was over, the lights went on, and "La Folie" played on the sound system as everyone left. Definitely a great gig - just wish I could remember more of it!

One more thing, I remember looking at the ticket for weeks before the event as if it was something magical. I never got hold of a ticket stub after the event, but I can picture it precisely in my head. I must have looked at it so hard that it burnt onto my retina :)
Ice
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Ice »

I bought the gold & white La Folie scarf! :smt042
Deadly with make-up on...
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

These are superb. Keep them coming. 8)
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
BlackBalazaR
SHAKESPEARO

Post by BlackBalazaR »

9.2.81 Bristol Locarno

I was 15, sown on trousers and Chelsea boots (I looked like a rake!)
This was my first ever gig and I only had no more heroes album at this point and had heard X Certs.
I remember sitting on the back of the seats that lined the dance floor, and hanging on to the balcony above to stop myself falling into the crowd.

I don't remember the songs they played but I remember trying to shout out like the Xcert crowd :roll:
A glorious men in black t shirt was purchased (it had glitter) and my life was transformed.
There are still Hero's- we talk of them here.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

Ice wrote:
But better than both of those was the time (God, was it 81 or 82?) when we met them - can you imagine what it's like to be told that your favourite band is coming to your school??? Even the blokes were wetting themselves in anticipation. I can't believe I did it but I tried to peel a piece of rubber seal from the window on JJ's Porsche as a keepsake!!! :smt050 We waited for hours to see them and were finally rewarded at about 10pm. Given that it was the days of pound notes, my friend got JJ to sign one - she spent it several years later :smt072 :smt013
Ice,
They came to Malmesbury school 1983 if I remember correctly :?: .
God it was like the Beatles when they arrived screaming girls everywhere.
Had a chat with Dave there and he seemed quite bemused by this.
Check out Strangled from around the time for a review and pics(not mine :( I did write one but they already had one from elsewhere :( )
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
yellowcakeuf6
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

Ice wrote:Mine was January 1982 on the La Folie tour. I'd only been into the band for a few months or so and they just so happened to come to Swindon.
I was there.......... 8)
Ice wrote:I remember my second gig more which was a year later at Goldiggers in Chippenham
I was there too............ 8)

First one, which I won't go into too many details as I've already posted it on here (somewhere :? ), was Southampton Gaumont, Feb 81 on the Gospel tour. Notable for my thumping heartbeat as WiB started, purchasing a 'white' rattus T, meeting the band outside the stage door, with the rest of the Tidworth MiB, (Dave, wearing 'that' coat....which I stroked........ :shock: ), JJ calling me 'big-boy' :shock: :shock: and getting my copy of Strangled signed.

Oooh AND getting off with Alana Keylock............. :smt049 :smt049 :smt049

I seem to recall I saw Strangs, SLF and Siouxsie all within the space of 6 months at the Gaumont back in 81. Happy Days.