Bonds - NY

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

gazincumbria wrote:Hi,
It does indeed look like the gig went ahead;here's a quote from 'A Multitude Of Sins' p.202:
"CUT TO:NEW YORK,1981
I'm sitting backstage at Bond's with a beer,watching Diana Ross and Gene Simmonds from Kiss playing pinball in front of me.The Stranglers have just finished a show there and Bob Ellis,our present manager,is Diana's ex-husband."

Cheers
Gaz
I think that's an excellent quote you've found Gaz. Don't think there's any question that this did go ahead.

You never know when you are trading old concerts that are not known elsewhere - you have to trust the integrity of the other person. Thankfully in this case, it looks as tough it was good.

By the way, Jim, your gig archive is always my first reference point when I am trading concerts to see if gig did go ahead - you've got a great encyclopedia of knowledge there - thanks.
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

Nice work guys.

I'll make this gig available shortly but don't get too excited there are only 6 tracks on the version I have.
This can't be undone

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

No worries Hatter - I updated recently

Recently realised that the Stranglers played Eric's in Liverpool on its opening night. Updated accordingly. I`m updating it behind the scenes so you need to keep checking. I`m missing a fair few dates for years like 76, 78 etc so I need everyone's help.

It`s the most definative list to my knowledge - Although I suspect Jet's is better !!!

Jim
Mad Hatter wrote:
gazincumbria wrote:Hi,
It does indeed look like the gig went ahead;here's a quote from 'A Multitude Of Sins' p.202:
"CUT TO:NEW YORK,1981
I'm sitting backstage at Bond's with a beer,watching Diana Ross and Gene Simmonds from Kiss playing pinball in front of me.The Stranglers have just finished a show there and Bob Ellis,our present manager,is Diana's ex-husband."

Cheers
Gaz
I think that's an excellent quote you've found Gaz. Don't think there's any question that this did go ahead.

You never know when you are trading old concerts that are not known elsewhere - you have to trust the integrity of the other person. Thankfully in this case, it looks as tough it was good.

By the way, Jim, your gig archive is always my first reference point when I am trading concerts to see if gig did go ahead - you've got a great encyclopedia of knowledge there - thanks.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
nbm
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Bonds

Post by nbm »

I was at the Bonds show on June 19th. I have the original advert and ticket stub which I will scan and post.

Neal
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

Neal,

Ta
This can't be undone

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one Neal - what can you remember about the gig? Any recollections?

Thanks

Jim
nbm
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Bonds

Post by nbm »

It was a midnight show so I was well oiled by the time the Stranglers took the stage. Bonds was a great venue but nothing really jumps out at me. Can't believe it'll be 25 years. I attempted to upload the flyer and ticket to the gallery--don't know if it worked. There was the show on the 19th and two shows on the 20th including the matinee. I can verify that the gigs were postponed by a week due The Clash overcrowding issue.

Some of the earlier gigs I went to have more details that may also be of interest.

Complete list:

http://spaces.msn.com/nealkeel/blog/cns ... !584.entry

Neal
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

Nice one Neal. That's a healthy list of gigs.

I reckon the upload is for the matinee show on the 20th. What Hugh calls the "nappynee"
This can't be undone

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Nice one Neal - couldn`t see the scan but you`ve seen some cool gigs in your time

Jim
Zalucu

Post by Zalucu »

Where you get it???
dianekamikaze
SHAKESPEARO

Bonds Show

Post by dianekamikaze »

Hi-

I know this is an old thread, but I just joined this forum. I was at the Bonds show. It was the Meninblack tour & the label (Stiff America) had some kind of promotional contest - which I won... A questionnaire had been passed out and asked something like "what would you do if you met a maninblack?" I answered something quasi scientific, and can't remember how I found out that I won, but honestly I think I was the only one who entered! My "prize" was getting to go backstage. It was pretty crappy... I got to go backstage, the band had just finished playing - they were sweaty & tired, no one from the label took any responsibility by mentioning the fact that I was a contest winner or anything, so I just felt like an idiot.

I saw Hugh 3 nights ago in NYC and I told him briefly about that show; he asked me if we had sex that night...so I guess maybe that's why they were not enthusiastic - perhaps that's what I was supposed to get as a prize!

I was at every NJ/NY area Stranglers gig. I remember Skafish opening for them at Irving Plaza, them playing on the floor at Aldo's in Lyndhurst, and Club Creations in West Orange NJ to name some of them.

diane
paulinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by paulinblack »

If I were you Diane I think I would have smacked him!

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!