Bonds - NY

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Bonds - NY

Post by Mad Hatter »

Jim,

I've just come across a concet that is said to be recorded at Bonds in New York dated 20/6/81. The set list is similar to those around the same time, but there are also some interesting changes, such as Wog being included (which was not included in others around this time). I have no reason to doubt hte validity of the gig. Just thought you'd like to know for the gig archive.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Re: Bonds - NY

Post by theraven1979 »

You sure it`s not

10/21/80....the Stranglers....Ritz Club, New York, US
FM Broadcast....Cass....Analog Unknown....90 min....A-
Intro, Hallow To Our Men, I Feel Like A Wog, Toiler On The Sea, Hanging Around, Down In The Sewer, Who Wants The World?, Tank, Nuclear Device, Genetix, The Raven, Four Horsemen,

Can`t remember them playing Bonds? Can remember the Clash doing it (in the same year and same month)

Jim

Mad Hatter wrote:Jim,

I've just come across a concet that is said to be recorded at Bonds in New York dated 20/6/81. The set list is similar to those around the same time, but there are also some interesting changes, such as Wog being included (which was not included in others around this time). I have no reason to doubt hte validity of the gig. Just thought you'd like to know for the gig archive.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Bonds - NY

Post by Mad Hatter »

theraven1979 wrote:You sure it`s not

10/21/80....the Stranglers....Ritz Club, New York, US
FM Broadcast....Cass....Analog Unknown....90 min....A-
Intro, Hallow To Our Men, I Feel Like A Wog, Toiler On The Sea, Hanging Around, Down In The Sewer, Who Wants The World?, Tank, Nuclear Device, Genetix, The Raven, Four Horsemen,

Jim

Mad Hatter wrote:
Jim,

The track lisating I have is as follows:

1 Waltzinblack
2 Down in the Sewer
3 Five Minutes
4 I Feel Like a Wog
5 Threatened
6 The Raven
7 Just Like Nothing on Earth

I have also been told that there is also a recording in existance which has the next 3 tracks Thrown Away, Who Wants the World and, Second Coming. Once you add this into the equation, it starts to have some similarities with the set they played in Toronto a few weeks earlier.

It's definatley not the Ritz NY.

Paul.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Hmmmm maybe they played Bond's just before The Clash then? Part of a punk month?!! Might be right - maybe I read that somewhere?

Jim
icecube
Ugly
Ugly

Post by icecube »

In this gig Hugh makes reference to the "nappynee" performance (which I took to mean matinee).
So if they played there twice on the same day it could account for the odd tracks that don't quite fit with the set for the rest of the tour ie: they mixed it up a bit.

Just a thought!
This can't be undone

gazincumbria
Rats Rally

Post by gazincumbria »

I knew I'd seen a mention of the Bond's gigs somewhere in a copy of Strangled! This is from Vol.2 Issue 6:
"The end of their long tour was delayed by a week(a piss off for our homesick Europeans) when Bonds,New York,the last gig on the itinerary,mismanged its ticket sales. They sold too many for their own capacity in Clash tickets(who were booked just before The Stranglers). The New York fire officals moved in to close the club and consequently all gigs were delayed as extra dates were tacked on to take up the overflow. Still,I believe The Stranglers were compensated. "

Cheers

Gaz
"I've been too honest with myself I should have lied like everybody else"
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

Thanks for that Gaz - nice bit of research!
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

So did the gig go ahead then and is that recording correct?!

Jim
Mad Hatter
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Mad Hatter »

theraven1979 wrote:So did the gig go ahead then and is that recording correct?!

Jim
Having read the article again, it does confirm that their tour was actually delayed, which suggests that they had to stay in America in order to complete the tour at Bonds, NY. Therefore, I would say that the gig did go ahead on the 20th June 1981.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Any chance someone could upload this?

Jim
gazincumbria
Rats Rally

Post by gazincumbria »

Mad Hatter wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:So did the gig go ahead then and is that recording correct?!

Jim
Having read the article again, it does confirm that their tour was actually delayed, which suggests that they had to stay in America in order to complete the tour at Bonds, NY. Therefore, I would say that the gig did go ahead on the 20th June 1981.
Hi,
It does indeed look like the gig went ahead;here's a quote from 'A Multitude Of Sins' p.202:
"CUT TO:NEW YORK,1981
I'm sitting backstage at Bond's with a beer,watching Diana Ross and Gene Simmonds from Kiss playing pinball in front of me.The Stranglers have just finished a show there and Bob Ellis,our present manager,is Diana's ex-husband."

Cheers
Gaz
gazincumbria
Rats Rally

Post by gazincumbria »

Mad Hatter wrote:Thanks for that Gaz - nice bit of research!
You're welcome mate :-)

Cheers
Gaz