Pre-74 key dates?

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Pre-74 key dates?

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:22 Fleetwood Mac only played Guildford twice in the 60s as far as I can see, both in 1967. The other was Dec 14th at the Civic Hall, so I'd say 12th November 1967 was the one.
They also played Guildford (Godalming) 09 Mar 69 at the Gin Mill Club / Angel (where JJ also played in the late 60s)
Last edited by Bear Cage on 16 Sep 2021, 10:35, edited 1 time in total.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Some interesting bits and pieces here. Note they even refer to JJ and his dad's restaurant https://www.guildford-dragon.com/2013/0 ... mill-club/

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

theraven1979 wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:35 Some interesting bits and pieces here. Note they even refer to JJ and his dad's restaurant https://www.guildford-dragon.com/2013/0 ... mill-club/

Jim
That's where JJ playing there is listed.
Also mentioned in the comments below is Black Cat Bones (later became free) playing there in 67, as well as someone who worked at JJ’s parents restaurant getting a lift with him on his Harley.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

although as JJ referred to ‘sneaking in as a child’ the 67 dates seem more likely (or if he was a regular at the Gin Mill Club it could be Black Cat Bones in 67 and Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac in 69).
Maybe an entry covering 67-69 mentioning him seeing blues acts such as Black Cat Bones (Free) in 67 and Peter Green’s Fleetwood Mac (67 or 69) as well as JJ later playing at the Gin Mill Club?
Last edited by Bear Cage on 16 Sep 2021, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

JJ also went to see Duster Bennett ( a one man blues band) in said pub
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

JJ's on record as saying him and Hugh went to see Dr Feelgood at the Gin Mill Club but so far I'm unable to pin down a date.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:12 JJ's on record as saying him and Hugh went to see Dr Feelgood at the Gin Mill Club but so far I'm unable to pin down a date.
There’s some 75 Guildford Gigs, but can’t see any at The Gin Mill Club / Angel
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Bear Cage wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:19
StanInBlack wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:12 JJ's on record as saying him and Hugh went to see Dr Feelgood at the Gin Mill Club but so far I'm unable to pin down a date.
There’s some 75 Guildford Gigs, but can’t see any at The Gin Mill Club / Angel
I found something stating The Gin Mill Club later moved to the Plaza (Cinema) Guildford and this is where the Feelgoods first Guildford gig was, supported by Heritage. As they played the civic centre in Jan 75 I assume this must have been 74.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

From Richard Ashworth re Dr Feelgood and the Plaza.
"For the record, Mike & I as Wax Promotions along with Pete Newberry, put on the first Dr Feelgood gig at the Plaza in 1974. We also gave the (Guildford) Stranglers one of, if not their first gig at Farnborough Tech that same year. The Stranglers were as the hoarding read “strangtastic” but Dr Feelgood were in a different class, as I’m sure you’ll remember. Wilko played like three guitarists at once staring manically into the middle distance and the whole vibe was so different to the trends of the moment and yet so traditional… "
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

We used to eat in Floyds, The Mall, Clifton, late sixties. I remember someone with a guitar eating food in the front a couple of times but I never saw 'HIM' play it. My mother and Keith were friends, I think Keith said something like ...I feed him and look after him, he never eats anything.

Definetly before 1970, but after 1967, more like 69 I think. If HC was not in Bristol at this time then it was not him.