Guildford g-live 12th March 2013 Review

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
zingiber
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Guildford g-live 12th March 2013 Review

Post by zingiber »

Great review - glad to hear that it was quieter than usual, cos I did wonder. Now I'm really wishing I was going to a few more of them!
No cheese, no gig.
s.harris
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by s.harris »

Bag Lady wrote:A quiet gig last night, I didn’t come out with ringing ears and it took ages for the crowd to get going. But a brilliant fix for the addicts. I really liked the set list. WWTW and Tank were particular favourites of mine. Relentless missed the mark though, too fast perhaps? I’m willing to give it a second chance though but will have to wait until Friday for that. JJ’s vocals were special and he was definitely in one of those weird cheeky moods that added sparkle.

A bit of a home match for me. I had a good chat with Shauniblack :smt006 pre-gig as we watched all the people navigating the foyer stairs and I saw my neighbours come in. Luckily I avoided too much contact with a PTA dad but no doubt he will add this to his two topics of conversation about me (drinking pints and my children’s names…). Post gig was a quick catch up with people, walk to the station and home after a 5-minute train ride… or at least that was the plan. Wouldn’t life be dull if it was too predictable?
:smt006 Nice too finally meet you at last, hope to see you soon at a Hugh or Stranglers gig. You can point out some more family members :wink:

All the best

Shauninblack.
'Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining'
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

My review.A great one already but another perspective.I decided to do this one last minute (as I knew Jet was going to be playing).Arrived to catch the Godfathers last song half way through (to little to judge).21.15 the PA plays the fantastic intro (Waltzinblack).A great start with a really good version of "Toiler",Keyboards sounded good and jim did some nice tom work during this song (A bit of a tribute to Jet).I won't mention the set to much as it has been mentioned in the excellent review on here.So let's have a few more observations.As has been said JJ looked a bit spaced out,and of course due to his knee problems no jumping and only a few kick's.As has been mentioned the crowd were very tame.It was a mixture of hard core fans and casual punters.The weakest song of the night was GB IMHO,it was just plodding and the keyboards didn't sound great.That's the negative bit.The band played really well and tight.But they really were a lame crowd,maybe Tuesday night blues.A mention must go to Jim who does a fantastic job on drums.I first saw him in Brussels last year and was impressed.Anyway moving on MSD seguing in to EF,meant only one thing the arrival of the legend that is Jet Black.As was said earlier he came on to a distinct lack of the Jet Black chant etc.But I doubt he cared,then he takes his hat off,adjust's himself then procedes to thump out the amazing tom tom driven drum pattern that is Genetix.He didn't miss a beat,but he seemed to be gasping for breath a bit,but then settled down.This was my high point of the evening to hear that fantastic song and to see the master play it with a total mastery of his craft was worth the ticket price alone.Then followed by a up tempo version of English Towns.The spirit on stage was great between all the band,I even saw Jet smile at JJ.The highlight's for me were of course "Genetix" but others were "Toiler" and the closer "Tank" fantastic to see Jet & Jim together and see their different styles.The sound mix was very good IMHO a good balance.When JJ did his bass thing at start of "Heroes" I think people did feel it.So all in all a really enjoyable night (slightly tainted) after the gig by the Jobsworth security chap.I had a really short margin In order to get the last train back to Salisbury.I wen't to pick up my jacket from the cloakroom area and the security chap wouldn't let me go ahead.So I had to wait 10 minutes behind others queing up.That meant I would have missed my connection to Salisbury.So a special mention to Jim an R.A.F chap from Swindon who gave me a lift to Guilford station and meant I got home OK (Your a star).To sum up I am so glad I made the effort to see this gig.A great set and a great venue IMHO.I look forward to Salisbury & Croydon.PS Jet black's Remo snare head was on sale at merchandise stall for £50.00.I might have been tempted If I had the cash on me,but that's life.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by elvisintheclouds »

Nice review greatkudu 8) I thought English Towns was great!
Thank you very much
EiTC
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

elvisintheclouds wrote:Nice review greatkudu 8) I thought English Towns was great!
Than'ks for that.It was a good night.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Greatkudu wrote:
elvisintheclouds wrote:Nice review greatkudu 8) I thought English Towns was great!
With a bit of luck, I may be able to make Salisbury too! 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

elvisintheclouds wrote:
Greatkudu wrote:
With a bit of luck, I may be able to make Salisbury too! 8)
Well ticket's are going well 1100 capacity,it will be a great night as Salisbury doesn't get bands of the calibre of The Stranglers,I am doing, do it yourself promo for this gig as I want as many people as possible for the band,they came in 1998 when they weren't doing so well,but amazed they are coming here.I have been taking posters and small card ads to as many places as I can to inspire the casual fan etc.I am amazed at how many people I have spoken to who say "The Stranglers" are they still going".Amazing.
elvisintheclouds
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Greatkudu wrote:Well ticket's are going well 1100 capacity,it will be a great night as Salisbury doesn't get bands of the calibre of The Stranglers,I am doing, do it yourself promo for this gig as I want as many people as possible for the band,they came in 1998 when they weren't doing so well,but amazed they are coming here.I have been taking posters and small card ads to as many places as I can to inspire the casual fan etc.I am amazed at how many people I have spoken to who say "The Stranglers" are they still going".Amazing.
Tickets booked 8)
Thank you very much
EiTC