Black In Time

Listings, reviews of live gigs. The ultimate Stranglers gig archive.
blackinjac
Down In The Sewer

Black In Time

Post by blackinjac »

We all, it seem's from time to time reminisce about the good old days , but if you could drop back to a Stranglers gig and do one again in particular , which one would it be ? I have great memories of Livingstone in 1989 . The session before with a crowd of barmy jocks, who were extremely welcoming , the guy who threatened the landlord to put the Stranglers on the juke box, then belted out the opening to 5 minutes with his fists on the table , as around half a dozen pints leaped off the other end , the gig of course , all i can remember is 'Ships that pass in the Night ' with Hugh leading a sycronised 'hey' with the crowd ,magic, a dodgy nightclub , sleeping in the hire car with newspapers for blankets, a game of 50 a side football the following morning with a load of Bowie fans who turned up early to que for tickets , and then driving to Newport Sth Wales for the next gig , getting there just as the lads were getting off the coach.....Great times , great people ....
'Arise Sir Jet.....'
paulwilko
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Black In Time

Post by paulwilko »

October 79 @ the Rainbow, Raven backdrop, best gig ever, I'm sure this has something to do with me being an impressionable 15 year old, but nothing has come close since. :twisted:
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I can't talk about gigs in the 70s but one thing you don't witness that often these days is that static electricity that seems to trickle through the crowd at a Stranglers gig - particularly just before the band enter the stage and Waltzinblack fires up

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

blackinjac wrote:We all, it seem's from time to time reminisce about the good old days , but if you could drop back to a Stranglers gig and do one again in particular , which one would it be ? I have great memories of Livingstone in 1989 . The session before with a crowd of barmy jocks, who were extremely welcoming , the guy who threatened the landlord to put the Stranglers on the juke box, then belted out the opening to 5 minutes with his fists on the table , as around half a dozen pints leaped off the other end , the gig of course , all i can remember is 'Ships that pass in the Night ' with Hugh leading a sycronised 'hey' with the crowd ,magic, a dodgy nightclub , sleeping in the hire car with newspapers for blankets, a game of 50 a side football the following morning with a load of Bowie fans who turned up early to que for tickets , and then driving to Newport Sth Wales for the next gig , getting there just as the lads were getting off the coach.....Great times , great people ....
8) :P
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'
APOLLO79
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by APOLLO79 »

theraven1979 wrote:I can't talk about gigs in the 70s but one thing you don't witness that often these days is that static electricity that seems to trickle through the crowd at a Stranglers gig - particularly just before the band enter the stage and Waltzinblack fires up

Jim
Yep...pipe n slippers stuff now..well since PR left...either that or it's age....

but I can't decide between The Raven tour,WwtW tour,The Gospel gig and the La Folie tour. I was smitten. :smt007 ..one thing though,the crowds started to
lessen throughout that sequence of gigs... :?
'Can i have my mic stand back please?You might do yourself an injury and get it stuck in somewhere'