First Impressions

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 18 Nov 2004, 14:02

Can you remember what your first impressions were of hearing each album?

I remember the MiB album not really striking me as weird on first hearing. I remember sticking The Raven on me cassette player and wondering if the entire album was an instrumental until JJ starting singing. I remember thinking that Aural Sculpture was a very sophisticated piece - defo liked the brass and backing vocals I thought sonically it sounded really impressive. Heroes? Well that sounded pretty weird to me I remember thinking the organ was very OTT and it all sounded a bit acidic.

Weird how your perceptions change so radically with time?

I suppose you have to bear in mind that you were young when you first heard those albums and you perhaps didn`t analyse a song like you do now.

What about the rest of you?

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Sid Wainwright
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Sid Wainwright » 18 Nov 2004, 19:16

I first heard 'Feline' when I was 12 and remember being bitterly dissappointed that it didn't have any fast/aggressive material a la Tank/Heroes on it...eighteen years later I think it's great!

raveninblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by raveninblack » 18 Nov 2004, 19:32

I'll do this later when I've had time to reflect. :D
just hanging around

Mathew Stranglers

Post by Mathew Stranglers » 18 Nov 2004, 19:47

I didn't have a record player until 1983...its grim up north...and so every lp i had up till then was first heard at a friends house before they taped them for me...
so...Black and white i heard at Roger Parrish's house and i was transfixed by it...it sounded so ...menacing!...I heard RN and NMH at my Aunts house in Plymouth...That was the start of a 30 year love affair...(with The Stranglers...not my Aunt) The Raven I bought on cassette and vinyl and I can remember listening to it over and over and over in my bedroom looking out over the Welsh hills...magic! The truly magnificant La Folie...i heard at Rob Martins house when I was madly in love with their French exchange student Flo from Perpignan...I had sexual intercourse for the very first time as Hugh started to sing on Ain't Nothing to it...(I'd finished before the bass kicked in) And TGATTMIB I heard at Matthew Edwards house and if you're not blown away by Waltzinblack then its a bit of a poor show!

Ah...the memories!

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 18 Nov 2004, 20:07

You crack me up man - Good account that - It`s good reading people`s stories about where they were at such a time and such a place when they heard stuff

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

EddyBurnel
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by EddyBurnel » 18 Nov 2004, 21:05

It all moulds into hazy distant mind memory for me...my older bro owned the albums and I got into 'glers via him, this was when i was around 11 yrs old, so can't remember albums going on for the first time. All I know is that nothing came even close to the Stranglers for me as a child, teenager and beyond..what a band!

I remember the older bro turning down "Hanging Around" when visits from my mum's church friends were round .....and when aged 11 thinking "clitoris" on Peaches was a costume or something, not a love button.

I relished in the Vladimir sagas through my teen years, loved that story and the atmosphere of Midnight Summer Dream and European Female. I loved JJ cos he spoke French on records and always looked super cool.

I remember buying 10, going to see them for the first time in Bradford 1990.....how Hugh Cornwell could leave, just when I'd started to see them live...an ex-girlfriend came up to me in the street in York out of the blue and said "Hugh Cornwell's left the Stranglers"....my immediate reaction was that of indifference...maybe I never believed it......

Doesn't matter, cos we still have 'em...and Norfolk Coast. And I now like Paul Roberts...and Hugh's latest album is totally great too (apart from 24/7 and Harry Power).....

All looks very good from where I'm sitting/standing.

gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard » 18 Nov 2004, 21:18

My first Stranglers memory was as a 12 year old hearing Peaches, I remember thinking wow this is so different!
I Then listened to my cousins B+W and was totally blown away. The Raven got me into them big time and I've never looked back since!
The best Stranglers album ever no questions asked!
Each album therafter had so much to it apart from the music. I used to spend hours studying lyrics,pictures and even the credits.
The band were so much better than all the other bands around at that time and should have got mega huge but alas did'nt which is probably good as they would'nt still be about today..
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''

simoninblack2004
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by simoninblack2004 » 18 Nov 2004, 22:35

I worked in a Butchers on saturdays for 2 quid a day. Late 77, I decided to buy a Punk album, ( Iwas 13 then). I looked around Woolies or WH Smiths and saw NMH album. Looked at it and saw 'wog, bitching'etc and thought great, swear words, i'll get this one then! Played it, loved it! I was seeing a pretty girl near Christmas and she brought me rattus!! I was hooked!! B&W was brought round about day of release as i got the freebie 45. After a while, i knew there was something about this band, but as kids do, I decided to sell those 3 albums to a mate at school for i think 3 or 4 quid?
I played them one more time the night before and said, fuck that, these blokes are brilliant, in fact, fucking genius!!
Xcerts brought the day of release, straight home to play it, mom told me to turn the fucking crap down!!
Then of course, the best album ever, and first tour seeing the mib live...the raven!! Huge!! I was addicted, bedroom covered in band pictures and articles etc. Mom going mad telling me to take that shit of the bloody wall!!
Went to see them live for the 1st time in Oxford (where I was born) on that tour, took the wrong train, got there about 1 minute before they came on. Skinheads chasing us for our tickets, scared shitless but ran the fastest 500m ever!!
Then The MIB album.............my goodness, what craftery, originality!! Got into fights at school defending the best band in the world!! No one else liked them, they are crap!! Was all I heard!!
Girlfriend hated the band, friends hated the band, I loved them even more!!!
La Folie, Ok I thought, they are getting a bit wierd now huh??
This will never sell...i saw them a few times that tour, the people dressed as La Folie before the band came on...brilliant!! Another change in musical direction too.
feline, I was seeing this girl, brought it and played it at her house. Oh fuck me I thought, what have they done this time???? There's bloody acoustic guitars and stuff. where is the quirky shit?? Took me about 4 plays to realise how good and different this album was!

Aural Sculpture..indeed it was!! married now at 20 years old, wife quite liked them and I was addicted to dave's spectrum game. Great tour with the brass, good times still rolling.Got very drunk at home one day and started crying me eyes out listening to NorthWinds!! (hence NW-the fanzine!)
Dreamtime-still married-(just)-liked half the album straight away, the rest took a few weeks to get into, (Reap, mayan etc).
10, divorced now............saw them 6 times on that tour, stayed at the same hotel in reading next to the hexagon with the band, got very drunk with Alex and JJ! tey all had seperate cars and drivers, now i know why!!
Great album, special to me as i emigrated to Canada at the end of the tour, march 27th actually.
Hugh left while I was in canada, ex girlfriend was at ally aplly gig, i was devastated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Married again in canada, (still am!!) I love you Cindy!!!!
In the Night came out, mate sent it over to me, cried my eyes out when I first played it. What the fuck is this singer doing???
I hated it at first, couldn't accept the 'new'sound. Now quite like it, but took me 10 years!!
About Time-much better, liked the strings!! My boy (JJ) is getting older now and quite likes them!!
WIR-hated it then, and still do now, the only time I can honestly say that I haven't liked somehting the stranglers have done!! No more to say..........
CDG, I think its brill, and great to hear JJ again!! Should have seen me smile the 1st time I played it and heard JJ"s vocals, like cheshire cat i was!!
NC-Brilliant. faith totally revived, respect for paul now, great gig in Toronto in October, fun, fun fun again!!
Got 2 tattoos , a son called JJ, a patient wife and the best discography in the world, need I say more??
Hope you enjoyed that and excuse the typing my hands are tired now!!
Cheers,
Simon.
SIS Canada.

:wallbash:

Edited By simoninblack2004 on 1100814263
When you're alive they won't care what you said.
Coz everybody loves you when you're dead.......

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 19 Nov 2004, 00:21

Simon, that was a fucking excellent post! Talk about a 'soundtrack to our lives'..........

(I must add that my first reaction to 'CDG' was the the complete opposite to yours however!)

I just don't know really where to start with this thread. So much to say, so many experiences etc...but too idle & so crap @ typing! :booze:

raveninblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by raveninblack » 19 Nov 2004, 00:35

Rattus: Well, i know I only got this after Heroes, I think it was a chrissy prezzie. I'd got Peaches/ SBC and Heroes as well as the Heroes lp when they were released but this had to wait till xmas. In fact I think me old man got it for me. It just confirmed that this band were special, mean, moody AND melodic. From the opening bars to the last rats breath, it was full on,in yer face, aggression and bile.At the time I think the keyboards were what impressed me the most. Dunno why.

Heroes: I got this from Woolies pretty much as soon as it came out. I think it was my first ever LP. What a fuckin opening. The intro to Wog really creates the mood for the rest of the lp.And then the bass kicks in. Hard as nails! I was stunned. I was 14 at the time and this really was a life changing album.

B+W: Got it at lunch time on day of release, went into town with Ste Cooper and Neil Tatlock and we bought 3 copies, all with free singles. Went round to Tatties house cos it was nearest, put it on the stereo and what a fuckin record. They had one of them little white stereo things which was a bit tinny for me so I fucked school off and went home and stuck it on my fuckin huge valve powered radiogramme. Remember them things....what a fuckin sound it created , deep warm bass and LOUD! On this monstrosity the lp came alive!
This was a more dynamic lp, the lyrics were a bit more clever, the production was better, you could pick the lyrics out of the sonic assault. The feeling of menace was even more in yer face. And Dave had got real synths on the go as well.

more to follow.
just hanging around

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 19 Nov 2004, 00:46

I was 11 when the Stranglers mimed their way through Heroes on Dutch TV, next day I immediately got the single. It was like nothing I was listening to earlier (beatles, slade, top 40) and from then on my life changed. Got the NMH lp that christmas and bought Rattus some time later for 5 guilders at a second hand shop.
Skip to 1982. My schoomate Jan and me both are big fans (dressing in black which my father hated) and either at his or my house playing especially the raven and mib lps. We loved the weirdness compared to all other bands and that year april 9th we saw them live in Utrecht for the first time! Didn't like it much though that my mum actually liked GB and SLG....
Skip to late 80s. After Aural Sculpture I loose interest. I still buy the records and go to see them in 85 and 86 in Utrecht but find only a handful of songs interesting. Being more and more into darker music and hardcore stuff I find the strangs way too commercial.
Skip to 92 pleasantly surprised by In the Night which I bought almost by accident. Did not realize earlier Hugh had left!
Skip to 95 finally get to see mk 2 line up live. Have a great time but am a bit shocked by hyperactive PR.
Skip to 99, come on the net one day before the doc martens gig. Decide to go see them that tour. Thanks to internet been much more up to date of where and when there are gigs. See them as often as I can.
Skip to 04 still listening to Strangs almost daily. Obsessed some friends say. Whenever they let me listen to music they like I always go "yeah thats good stuff but it's not the stranglers" !
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 19 Nov 2004, 00:50

raveninblack wrote:They had one of them little white stereo things which was a bit tinny for me so I fucked school off and went home and stuck it on my fuckin huge valve powered radiogramme. Remember them things....what a fuckin sound it created , deep warm bass and LOUD! On this monstrosity the lp came alive!
First heard 'down In The sewer' on a radiogramme, round at my best mates house. His big bruv had a cool record collection which included 'Rattus' & he played me 'Sewer'. Mind blowing. One of the defining moments for me as a Stranglers fan. :;):