Personal MIB moments

Any `classic` topics will be moved here.
Bladders
SHAKESPEARO

Re: Personal MIB moments

Post by Bladders » 26 Jul 2013, 10:48

For me

Getting all their autographs at the back door of Canterbury Odeon circa 1980 I clearly remember Dave wearing a fur coat!

Getting a picture I painted of them in Art class at school published in the SIS magazine.

Jumping up on stage after the "off the record gig" inb Gillingham and getting a photo with Dave, then sneaking upstairs with a m8, where we were stopped by an old security guy who challenged us, I told him i was Hugh's brother and he let us through!, Got in the dressing room and sat and looked at some of JJ's art with him. The walking down the stairs into the foyer with the 4 MIB, with all my m8's outside staring at us.

Feeling like I was in a big world at the age of 18 watching them in The Rainbow in London. One of my first ventures into the City.

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 » 26 Jul 2013, 11:12

Good stuff Bladders

Jim
Bladders wrote:For me

Getting all their autographs at the back door of Canterbury Odeon circa 1980 I clearly remember Dave wearing a fur coat!

Getting a picture I painted of them in Art class at school published in the SIS magazine.

Jumping up on stage after the "off the record gig" inb Gillingham and getting a photo with Dave, then sneaking upstairs with a m8, where we were stopped by an old security guy who challenged us, I told him i was Hugh's brother and he let us through!, Got in the dressing room and sat and looked at some of JJ's art with him. The walking down the stairs into the foyer with the 4 MIB, with all my m8's outside staring at us.

Feeling like I was in a big world at the age of 18 watching them in The Rainbow in London. One of my first ventures into the City.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack » 26 Jul 2013, 11:12

Bladders wrote:For me

Great story mate.

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 15 Dec 2018, 10:47

Morning, just found this top thread, thought I’d ‘resurrect’ it cos I like it, musta missed it, might have even contributed to it, dunno not read it all yet but I like the story about JJ twatting the sieg heiling nazi skinhead cnut off the stage, nice one JJ.
Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n roll

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 15 Dec 2018, 22:20

derby62 wrote:
27 Sep 2011, 15:17
Thinking about this thread good memories keep coming back--it's Aug.1980 on the WWTW tour at Bath pavilion this was the
era when skinheads were causing trouble at gigs--they caused a few fights at Crawley on the second night of the tour the band
stopped and Hugh berated them--but at Bath JJ took slightly more drastic action--there was about 8 skins causing trouble and
the venues security were struggling to keep it in hand when one of the skins jumps on stage and if I remember correctly he
starts doing the sieg heil salute the band carry on playing when JJ launches a right hander on him and sends him flying through
the air and back into the crowd with this the skins are on their tails and to great cheers from the rest of the crowd gone
pretty quickly--JJ missed about 3 notes and carried on playing as if nothing had happened--classic moment :grin:
Thanks for that story derby62.
Brilliant, heh heh, dumb soft as shit Nazi Skinheads, well deserved, nice one JJ.
:smt023

Those 80’s gigs though were so ... dunno summat in the air, the feeling that summat was gonna kick off at any moment, there was plenty of violence and it was quite scary back then when I was just 14.
Most of the violence was coming from the stage though, that nutter on bass! Love him!
:smt007

Mercury Rising
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Mercury Rising » 23 Mar 2019, 22:30

derby62 wrote:
Thinking about this thread good memories keep coming back--it's Aug.1980 on the WWTW tour at Bath pavilion this was the
era when skinheads were causing trouble at gigs--they caused a few fights at Crawley on the second night of the tour the band
stopped and Hugh berated them--but at Bath JJ took slightly more drastic action--there was about 8 skins causing trouble and
the venues security were struggling to keep it in hand when one of the skins jumps on stage and if I remember correctly he
starts doing the sieg heil salute the band carry on playing when JJ launches a right hander on him and sends him flying through
the air and back into the crowd with this the skins are on their tails and to great cheers from the rest of the crowd gone
pretty quickly--JJ missed about 3 notes and carried on playing as if nothing had happened--classic moment :grin:
This is such a great thread and I love this story about JJ twatting the skinhead! It’s fantastic to read all your experiences folks.

Most of the last 35 years, I’ve had similar stories involving David Bowie. He’s my all time no.1. Seen him live almost 200 times all over the world and met him several times. Wonderful man. But, I’ve seen The Stranglers quite a few times, albeit only since around 2007 onwards (I think - I can’t actually remember when I saw my first gig). Seen three shows on this current tour and my biggest moment was meeting JJ and Dave just two days ago (21st March) after the Southend gig. I hugged JJ and he signed my poster (as did Dave). We had a bit of banter as he said, “can you hold it tight” and I replied, “careful, we’ve only just met,” which got a few chuckles from him and a couple of other guys who were there. As he got in the car I said, “see you tomorrow in Brixton” and he took my right hand and kissed it. Made my night!!!

What a lovely guy!

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 25 Mar 2019, 16:32

Mercury Rising wrote:
23 Mar 2019, 22:30
derby62 wrote:
This is such a great thread and I love this story about JJ twatting the skinhead! It’s fantastic to read all your experiences folks.

Most of the last 35 years, I’ve had similar stories involving David Bowie. He’s my all time no.1. Seen him live almost 200 times all over the world and met him several times. Wonderful man. But, I’ve seen The Stranglers quite a few times, albeit only since around 2007 onwards (I think - I can’t actually remember when I saw my first gig). Seen three shows on this current tour and my biggest moment was meeting JJ and Dave just two days ago (21st March) after the Southend gig. I hugged JJ and he signed my poster (as did Dave). We had a bit of banter as he said, “can you hold it tight” and I replied, “careful, we’ve only just met,” which got a few chuckles from him and a couple of other guys who were there. As he got in the car I said, “see you tomorrow in Brixton” and he took my right hand and kissed it. Made my night!!!

What a lovely guy!
Cool, JJ roolz and Bowie does too! Got all his albums but his last 2 - The Next Day & Blackstar were just like the best, brilliant! 2 of my faves albums from the ‘10’s, always playing those 2 albums.
It’s Cool there’s another Bowie fan on ere.
8)

aldinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by aldinblack » 25 Mar 2019, 17:02

Yes Blackstar is very good and well, what a way to end your life !

Could never make up my mind what my favourite Bowie album is. It's either gotta be Alladin Sane or Hunky Dory. Scary Monsters was great too, although I can't really stomach Fashion or Ashes to Ashes anymore these days..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I Hate You !

Mercury Rising
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Mercury Rising » 25 Mar 2019, 22:32

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 16:32
Cool, JJ roolz and Bowie does too! Got all his albums but his last 2 - The Next Day & Blackstar were just like the best, brilliant! 2 of my faves albums from the ‘10’s, always playing those 2 albums.
It’s Cool there’s another Bowie fan on ere.
8)
Yeah, they are great albums! I remember when The Next Day was released. The anticipation was electrifying. I was almost bouncing off the walls with excitement! The ten year gap since Reality in 2003 probably led to that cos it was just SO good to have him back! I have difficulty listening to Blackstar though. I know he left it for us as his parting gift but it's just so heartbreaking, although it is a FANTASTIC piece of work. His passing was one of the worst periods of my life. How the hell he created such a masterpiece under the conditions he faced beggars belief. A true artist in every sense.

Mercury Rising
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Mercury Rising » 25 Mar 2019, 22:37

aldinblack wrote:
25 Mar 2019, 17:02
Yes Blackstar is very good and well, what a way to end your life !

Could never make up my mind what my favourite Bowie album is. It's either gotta be Alladin Sane or Hunky Dory. Scary Monsters was great too, although I can't really stomach Fashion or Ashes to Ashes anymore these days..

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
As I replied above, I struggle sometimes listening to Blackstar. But I do love it. It's a wonderful album, just too sad.

As for deciding between Aladdin Sane or Hunky Dory for your favourite album, you've listed my top two! In that order! Aladdin Sane has been my favourite for years and the title track is my all time favourite track. Scary Monsters is brilliant, especially Teenage Wildlife. I'm gonna have the lyrics, "a real life adventure worth more than pieces of gold" as a tattoo on my right forearm (got blackstar on my left forearm) cos because of Bowie, I've had a real life adventure (following his tours all over the world between 1989-2004 and meeting him etc.).