Best Live release

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Best official live release

LIVE X CERTS
35%
DEATH AND NIGHT AND BLOOD
No votes
LIVE AT THE HOPE AND ANCHOR
13%
ALL LIVE AND ALL OF THE NIGHT
15%
SATURDAY NIGHT SUNDAY MORNING
1%
ACCESS ALL AREAS
1%
5 LIVE 01
6%
COAST TO COAST
3%
BBC HAMMERSMITH ODEON 81
19%
APOLLO LIVE (REVISITED)
4%
FRIDAY THE 13TH
2%
STRANGLERS AND FRIENDS LIVE
No votes

Total votes: 139

Jake
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jake »

I'm going for All Live its the ear I first saw them, its the best quality recording to my mind and also captures a classic live feel cracking rival versions to the studio versions with Always the Sun, Toiler and on the reissue Souls
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I guess it must be an age thing cos I voted for the same

Jim
Jake wrote:I'm going for All Live its the ear I first saw them, its the best quality recording to my mind and also captures a classic live feel cracking rival versions to the studio versions with Always the Sun, Toiler and on the reissue Souls
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
adam_neil
Ugly
Ugly

Post by adam_neil »

I've never really rated All Live, whilst it's good I much prefer the set lists of Hammy Odeon '81 & X Certs. Thats what it boils down to for me - the sound quality on all three releases is bang on perfect.
But when you have nuggets such as Family, How To Find...,JLNOE etc in my view the likes of Always The Sun, Was It You etc just pale in comparison.

I can happily listen to say Hammy Odeon 81 from beginning to end every time, like last week at 11pm was slowly frying an awesome Sirloin while demolishing a great Pinot Grigio and was trying my best not to pogo me tits off around the kitchen!

I must give a mention to some of Hugh's quotes from these 3 - absolutely hilarious.

"Someone say wanker, where is he!?" (obvious great quote)

"I have it on good authority that there's about five planets in alignment...!!" etc - pure Hugh..:lol:

"So if there's 30,000 people here & 21,000 free condoms were given out that means there's 9,000 wankers out there!" Classic. :lol:

Adam
Tried to wipe you from my memory
I miss the pleasure of your company
johnny sox
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by johnny sox »

bbc sessions 1977- 1982
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The intro to Toiler on "All Live..." on repeat - sheer bliss

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Claireinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Claireinblack »

I can't decide which i like best, so have loaded them all onto my i-pod, and will listen to them all on hols......

:lol:
Claireinblack
kent
Skin Deep
Rats Rally

Post by Skin Deep »

Live X-Cert by a mile !! Bloomin' marvelous !! :lol:

Guess it's an age thing as already said by someone. I'm 43 this year don't you know? :oops:
"Life shows no mercy."
devo
SHAKESPEARO

Post by devo »

what about the LIVE IN MILAN bootleg or THE TAMING OF HUGH AT POOLE,I've seen these on the net are they any good and what are they worth to pay.
Sir Grim
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Sir Grim »

This surely depends on which period Stranglers you prefer. I've voted for All Live, but Death comes a very close 2nd. I would have picked Hammy Odeon or Apollo for tracklistings, but I don't think the quality of the recordings does the band proud.
Throw away your crutch and be bold!
suite 35
SHAKESPEARO

best live release

Post by suite 35 »

Am gonna go for live x, which just whiskered it over hope and anchor.
This is mainly because its the first ever stranglers album i bought.
Oh, and the setlist/playing are amazing.
:grin:
I saw my love today, shes lookin old but so am i
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Best Live release

Post by Alexinblack »

Live X Cert and All live are too great live albums for me. Some great Hugh quotes on both of those albums.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: Best Live release

Post by Jon the Impaler »

X- Certs is the original and gives a fairly good account of the band at that stage of their career , I like it . Love the banter between Hugh and the crowd , something you don't really get much on the others .By th etime of All Night , the band had changed radically as had a lot of the set , plus you had the brass on some songs - new and oldies alike , I wasn't keen on the brass section .
5 Live is my favourite though , don't know whether its because of the amount of material plus many classics on there . The one's from latter days all seem very well produced and the sound is excellent - only one which is slightly dodgy in Coast to Coast , where Paul sounds a bit rough in places . There are so many official live CD's though these days , including the B&W one and similar , its a tough call .
All quiet ..........