BEST THING ABOUT PAUL'S DEPARTURE

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

BEST THING ABOUT PAUL'S DEPARTURE

No more blondes in the band
5%
Baz's singing
9%
JJ singing more songs
57%
Another new era..it's the anticipation of things to come
19%
Not having to fork out for the SBE DVD
1%
Hopefully it won't be YEARS before the next album
5%
Harmony will come to the forum
1%
Arguing about who is actually the lead singer
3%

Total votes: 177

Burn e 77
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: BEST THING ABOUT PAUL'S DEPARTURE

Post by Burn e 77 »

NOT RETURNING!
H. Cornwell :wink:
Something better change!

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I wonder what have happened if he had stayed? Would Giants have been very different? Also would the band have been so successful with Glastonbury appearance etc?

Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

jason wrote:I wonder what have happened if he had stayed? Would Giants have been very different? Also would the band have been so successful with Glastonbury appearance etc?
its an interesting one because the band were starting to get more recognition when NC came out, however maybe going back as a four piece could be the main reason why they have gone on to play at Glastonbury and other big festivals.

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx »

I cannot believe the return to a four piece made that,much impact apart from here
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by StanInBlack »

The best thing about Paul's departure is that people are slowly beginning to realise that he was actually a superb singer and did some great stuff with the band. I can't say that I've ever been fond of some of his stage antics (the open shirt, the finger clicking and pouting and all that bollocks), but I'm finding myself actually beginning to really fucking miss him on record.

Josh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Josh »

evonx wrote:I cannot believe the return to a four piece made that,much impact apart from here
StanInBlack wrote:The best thing about Paul's departure is that people are slowly beginning to realise that he was actually a superb singer and did some great stuff with the band. I can't say that I've ever been fond of some of his stage antics (the open shirt, the finger clicking and pouting and all that bollocks), but I'm finding myself actually beginning to really fucking miss him on record.
Seconded on both counts.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye

kjblack
Rats Rally

Post by kjblack »

StanInBlack wrote:The best thing about Paul's departure is that people are slowly beginning to realise that he was actually a superb singer and did some great stuff with the band. I can't say that I've ever been fond of some of his stage antics (the open shirt, the finger clicking and pouting and all that bollocks), but I'm finding myself actually beginning to really fucking miss him on record.
I don't think his singing talent was ever in doubt but he threw the group dynamic out of kilter. When Paul left I had no internet access and actually went to see the Stranglers not knowing they were once again a four-piece. The gig was a revelation and completely revitalised my waning support for the band. I don't know why it worked so well, but it did. It's a bit like the famous Lennon quote about Ringo Starr not even being the best drummer in the Beatles never mind the business, but his personality complemented the other band members.
A more significant departure was John Ellis because his songwriting was taking the band further and further from the Stranglers sound and Norfolk Coast was the start of the comeback.
Baz "looks" like a Strangler and I'm more than happy with his singing and playing but people on here are now taking small shots at him too and the truth is that only JJ, Dave and Jet are exempt from criticism.
Paul, JE and Baz had impossible tasks but had (and have) a right good go at filling the huge void left by Hugh's departure.

aldinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by aldinblack »

kjblack wrote:
I don't think his singing talent was ever in doubt but he threw the group dynamic out of kilter. When Paul left I had no internet access and actually went to see the Stranglers not knowing they were once again a four-piece. The gig was a revelation and completely revitalised my waning support for the band. I don't know why it worked so well, but it did. It's a bit like the famous Lennon quote about Ringo Starr not even being the best drummer in the Beatles never mind the business, but his personality complemented the other band members.
A more significant departure was John Ellis because his songwriting was taking the band further and further from the Stranglers sound and Norfolk Coast was the start of the comeback.
Baz "looks" like a Strangler and I'm more than happy with his singing and playing but people on here are now taking small shots at him too and the truth is that only JJ, Dave and Jet are exempt from criticism.
Paul, JE and Baz had impossible tasks but had (and have) a right good go at filling the huge void left by Hugh's departure.
agreed on all accounts. I went to see them for the first time in a long time on the suite tour soon after Roberts left. And I was amazed - for me the stranglers were back. And I started going regularly again. Paul, yeah good singer but can't say I miss him at all, although I do realise that this line up is not the best songwriting one.

Anybody coming in would get criticised for something. Only the original 4 cannot - if Hugh gets any criticism then it's usually related to him leaving the stranglers.
I Hate You !

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx »

JE did not write anything post -WIR
Baz "looks" like a Strangler
He looks like a member of the 4 Skins or the Business 8)

Seriously, Baz gave the band a new load of energy when he joined since the last years of the 90s were a bit bland I suppose.
Still, John and Paul wrote a couple of good songs too and kept the band alive when JJ took a step back in the 90s.
Anybody coming in would get criticised for something. Only the original 4 cannot - if Hugh gets any criticism then it's usually related to him leaving the stranglers.
Totall true although we can also criticize Hugh for murdering his classic stranglers material at times.... :(
--eric--
and there i came

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

Alexinblack wrote:
jason wrote:I wonder what have happened if he had stayed? Would Giants have been very different? Also would the band have been so successful with Glastonbury appearance etc?
its an interesting one because the band were starting to get more recognition when NC came out, however maybe going back as a four piece could be the main reason why they have gone on to play at Glastonbury and other big festivals.
I don't think so - people aren't going to judge a band by whther they have 4 or 5 members - it was the quality of the songs over 2 albums - Norfolk and Suite that was picked up on , regardless of Paul going though - he still had input I guess in Suite , just didn't appear on the final version . We shouldn't forget he helped the band continue for 16 years or so and certainly introduced an energy they hadn't had live for many years . He is a good singer , maybe OTT at times , especially early on - his problem mainly was he wasn't Hugh , Baz has had it easy really being the bloke who replaced Paul , Paul had it hard replacing Hugh .
Lets not forget , no Paul ( and John Ellis for that matter ) in 1991 - no Stranglers now in all probabilty .
All quiet ..........

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

evonx wrote:
JE did not write anything post -WIR
Baz "looks" like a Strangler
He looks like a member of the 4 Skins or the Business 8)

Seriously, Baz gave the band a new load of energy when he joined since the last years of the 90s were a bit bland I suppose.
Still, John and Paul wrote a couple of good songs too and kept the band alive when JJ took a step back in the 90s.
Totall true although we can also criticize Hugh for murdering his classic stranglers material at times.... :(
If you ever get the chance - look up 4 Skins on Youtube - singer Roi Pierce , bloody hell he has only one eye these days , I don't know what happened but he's tattooed and looks as rough as hell ..... Baz looks an angel compared to him . If it was fisticuffs at dawn , I know which I'd put my money on - and it wouldn't be a chap from Sunderland .
All quiet ..........

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx »

You are absolutely right Jon, f*cking hell,nhe looks erm quite impressive

http://cinges.deviantart.com/art/Roi-Pe ... -142594428
--eric--
and there i came