BEST THING ABOUT PAUL'S DEPARTURE

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

BEST THING ABOUT PAUL'S DEPARTURE

No more blondes in the band
5%
Baz's singing
9%
JJ singing more songs
57%
Another new era..it's the anticipation of things to come
19%
Not having to fork out for the SBE DVD
1%
Hopefully it won't be YEARS before the next album
5%
Harmony will come to the forum
1%
Arguing about who is actually the lead singer
3%

Total votes: 177

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Re: BEST THING ABOUT PAUL'S DEPARTURE

Post by StanInBlack »

Well, I can't speak for anyone else but when I'm listening to the records, the way someone "looks" is kinda irrelevant. I think Baz sounded fine on 'Suite XVI', and that album alone had me looking forward to seeing what they came up with next... and even though I thought Retro Rockets was god-awful, I still thought they were doing something similar to what they did with 'Norfolk Coast'... i.e. taking their time over things, making sure that they came up with the best album they could possibly make. When 'Giants' came out, it had a different effect... I wanted to hear the tracks with Paul singing 'em. I also don't think it was the best album they could have possibly made at that point, either. Gigs come and go, but records stay around forever, and I'd rather have a lasting document with a singer who is a joy to listen to.

toilerinblack
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by toilerinblack »

for me its baz taking over the vocals and at last him bringing in some very good ideas and songs and returning them back to the more raw mk1 days havent had it for 15 odd years since hughs departure ....well done baz.....thanks

StanInBlack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by StanInBlack »

Voted for "Hopefully it won't be YEARS before the next album" :roll: :roll:

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx »

eturning them back to the more raw mk1 days havent had it for 15 odd years
so you missed the whole Norfolk Coast frenzy?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

Josh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Josh »

evonx wrote:
22 May 2020, 11:34
eturning them back to the more raw mk1 days havent had it for 15 odd years
so you missed the whole Norfolk Coast frenzy?
Now, now, Eric, I don't think much gets past our friend toiler. :lol: Joking aside though, I don't think the band have had as much success & exposure as they did with Norfolk Coast since Hugh left. Despite JJ asserting that Giants was their most successful album since the MK1 days, there's not much to back that up.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye

parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Josh wrote:
22 May 2020, 12:40
evonx wrote:
Despite JJ asserting that Giants was their most successful album since the MK1 days, there's not much to back that up.
Yes, I think that's almost complete tosh. Giants charted higher than the others but if we're using that metric then it wasn't successful as In the Night or About Time... It'd be interesting to know which sold more out of those three...
Perhaps 2012 was more successful in terms of festivals and touring than 2004 was? Not really down to the quality of the album though.

Norfolk Coast was so clearly the most successful album since MKI I don't know how he can claim otherwise. They toured it all over the world, it put them back on the map after the wilderness years, the reviews were loads better, they were back on TV and radio and they had two minor hit singles from it. Plus at least one track from it made another "best of" compilation which went top 40 not long after.

As much as the fans raved about Suite and PR leaving it wasn't as successful, and neither was Giants...
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Gotta agree NC was their pinnacle really. Collectively NC beats Suite and Giants hands down IMO

Jim

parasiteinblack wrote:
22 May 2020, 15:17
Josh wrote:
22 May 2020, 12:40
evonx wrote:
Yes, I think that's almost complete tosh. Giants charted higher than the others but if we're using that metric then it wasn't successful as In the Night or About Time... It'd be interesting to know which sold more out of those three...
Perhaps 2012 was more successful in terms of festivals and touring than 2004 was? Not really down to the quality of the album though.

Norfolk Coast was so clearly the most successful album since MKI I don't know how he can claim otherwise. They toured it all over the world, it put them back on the map after the wilderness years, the reviews were loads better, they were back on TV and radio and they had two minor hit singles from it. Plus at least one track from it made another "best of" compilation which went top 40 not long after.

As much as the fans raved about Suite and PR leaving it wasn't as successful, and neither was Giants...
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx »

Collectively NC beats Suite and Giants hands down IMO
Agreed. NC was not as good as those first line ups classics but, if any album post 1990 comes close it definately is NC.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came