More Powerful bass line

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Which bass line is more powerful and ear catching (it's a word yeah) out of my two favourite ones

Peaches
56%
Deadringer
44%

Total votes: 87

ALV2500
SHAKESPEARO

Post by ALV2500 »

Goodbye Toulouse all day long !

AL
maineman1963
SHAKESPEARO

Post by maineman1963 »

Has to be Down in the Sewer but so many to choose from !
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole, just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock and roll
paulinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by paulinblack »

I wonder whether Summat Outanowt will feature in a poll like this in years to come ?

Paul
G-L-O-S...Living in a flood plain!
Mazec
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Mazec »

Hell, these two options are simply not enough. I can think of at least 20 Stranglers tracks with completely memorable, unique basslines:

Sometimes, Sewers, Tank, Sleazy, Sweden, Death and Night and Blood, Ice, Loss Angeles, Baroque Bordello, etc. etc.

But given the choices available, I'd pick Peaches.
LUKEJAKE17
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by LUKEJAKE17 »

Mazec wrote:Hell, these two options are simply not enough. I can think of at least 20 Stranglers tracks with completely memorable, unique basslines:

Sometimes, Sewers, Tank, Sleazy, Sweden, Death and Night and Blood, Ice, Loss Angeles, Baroque Bordello, etc. etc.

the options have been made lower than used to be on here, there used to be more. yes! finnally someone mentions sweden! no-one ever mentions sweden too much anyway, but whenever basslines come up, no sign of sweden! that wasnt in the original list of options either. sweden is one of the best stranglers songs EVER!
jj burnel finnally kills bono!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n6qpRTb ... ers%201985

"ive just had earl gay and biccies at jj's house"
Mazec
SHAKESPEARO

Post by Mazec »

LUKEJAKE17 wrote:
Mazec wrote:Hell, these two options are simply not enough. I can think of at least 20 Stranglers tracks with completely memorable, unique basslines:

the options have been made lower than used to be on here, there used to be more. yes! finnally someone mentions sweden! no-one ever mentions sweden too much anyway, but whenever basslines come up, no sign of sweden! that wasnt in the original list of options either. sweden is one of the best stranglers songs EVER!
Strange, I didn't realize "Sweden" was so underrecognized. To me, it's one of the Stranglers' definitive early moments where they broke away from conventional songwriting to create a unique masterpiece.

Although the lyrics are clear enought for the most part, there's one line that has been troubling me for years, as I'm not sure what he's talking about:

"Big brother says it's the place to go"

Now, does he mean "big brother" in the George Orwell sense, is he talking about *his* big brother, or what?
ravenlunatic
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by ravenlunatic »

Mazec wrote:
LUKEJAKE17 wrote:

Strange, I didn't realize "Sweden" was so underrecognized. To me, it's one of the Stranglers' definitive early moments where they broke away from conventional songwriting to create a unique masterpiece.

Although the lyrics are clear enought for the most part, there's one line that has been troubling me for years, as I'm not sure what he's talking about:

"Big brother says it's the place to go"

Now, does he mean "big brother" in the George Orwell sense, is he talking about *his* big brother, or what?
From memory, I believe that Hugh's older brother had some experiance of Sweden, and that he had recomended the place to Hugh when he was considering where to continue his studies. Hence the line.
Vlads Left Nostril
SHAKESPEARO

Life changing

Post by Vlads Left Nostril »

I heard Peaches on the radio in the summer of '76 and it changed my life. I'd never heard a bass guitar played like that before and from then on I wanted to play the bass.

I'd been playing the guitar for a couple of years but it was the usual shit - Simon and Garfunkle and all that crap. Then suddenly - Peaches!!! Feckin excellent.

I played in many bands for years thanks to Peaches. Now I play in a top tribute band (to the Clash, can't find a decent keyboard player otherwise it would be the Stranglers - any offers??) called Combat Rock - see our videos on http://www.combatrocks.co.uk.

So, thanks to JJ and Peaches my life was ruined by rock n roll and debauchery and women and drink - thank Christ for that!

Therefore, it has to be Peaches although I'd say that JJ came up with other crackers like Baroque Bordello, Genetix, Nuclear Device, Turn the Centuries Turn, Goodbye Toulouse, Sweden, Freddie Laker and many, many more (til my fingers bled!!!)

Cheers JJ,

Mick.
Where's my other nostril?
yellowcakeuf6
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Life changing

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

Vlads Left Nostril wrote:Now I play in a top tribute band (to the Clash, can't find a decent keyboard player otherwise it would be the Stranglers - any offers??)
I believe 'Organ Grinder' tickles the ivories? :wink:

Amen to "Cheers JJ". :lol:
serya
SHAKESPEARO

Post by serya »

Dead Ringer grabs me at the start more.
serya
markorbit
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by markorbit »

Most POWERFUL bass line erm...

I wouldn't go for Peaches as that's pretty chilled out - the most identifiable yes.

I'll throw in JLNOE. Half the credit is Jet's though.

Oops I've just seen it's a poll with two options :smile:

In that case Peaches.
Let's Boogie
The Nosferatu
Ugly
Ugly

Post by The Nosferatu »

the end of straighten out
Cnut ? I think you're mistaken, it's CUNT.