Worse Stranglers "career move"

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Worse Stranglers "career move"

Following up Golden Brown with La Folie
39%
Sweet Smell Of Success
3%
"American's have smaller brains"
4%
Aural Sculpture
3%
To continue after Hugh
14%
Euro-dismal
1%
Getting on the wrong side of the media
18%
Lack of decent publicity
9%
Something else (see below)
8%

Total votes: 185

Alex
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Alex » 14 Aug 2004, 12:35

ThruBeingCool wrote:Worst career move they ever made was the decision not to swear in their songs.....

think about it, the first four albums were littered with foul language, 'shit', 'fuck' & 'fucking' being the most common ones (although I'm struggling to think of anything on 'Black & White'.doh!)...also used 'Wog' which didn't harm them!...

....next time they really use foul language on their albums (apart from a little 'fuck!' on 'Money') is on 'Norfolk Coast'! One of the band's most critically acclaimed albums more than likely due to the use of 'fuck' on 'Into The Fire' & 'Sanfte Kuss'

imho!

My advice to The Stranglers: Swear more on record in future, guys! You're called 'The Stranglers'..please try & act a bit 'ard and live up to the image for chrissakes!..
:upyoursmatey:
:D
3 x cnuts, 1 x twat and a couple of assholes for the next album please.
look I've got a microphone, I can speak about 2000 times louder than any of you idiots, alright!.....However loud you shout........SHUT UP!!...YA BUNCH OF MORONS !!!!!

DannyL
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by DannyL » 15 Aug 2004, 17:02

They should've recruited Billy Idol...
No love in a thousand girls.

Ice
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ice » 16 Aug 2004, 22:27

For me, it's definitely 'getting on the wrong side of the media'. Might've been cool at the time to show you're not a band to be slagged off or messed with but it's haunted them ever since which is why they've never got the recognition they deserve.
Deadly with make-up on...

philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn » 19 Aug 2004, 01:39

Yep..

Beating up, tieing up and otherwise pissing off media types who subsequently moved up the food chain. Ice is right...except I also remember that at the time the pistols were going through record Co.s on an almost weekly basis, wrecking hotels generally causing riots (espacially on the US tour which was utter chaos from beginning to end) and cultivating an image of mayhem - to no downside apart from more $ and more sales.

The stranglers (despite the fact that at the time it seemed extremely cool) were more focussed in their mayhem and the focus regrettably ended up being on a series of worms who turned and bit them in the arse later.

My humble guess is that JJ was more thin skinned about the media than err...jet, dave ?? and was perhaps a little pro-active in the approach to managing the message !! It seems from my reading he got down to nailing individuals...bad move- pistols could be written of as a general whirling tornado - JJ got personally under a few peoples skins - start of a longstanding grudge match...
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...

evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx » 19 Aug 2004, 09:00

the people voting for "continue after Hugh" have obviously never seen and heard them live post 1990

as for JJ and the press - I've Been Wild is all about that isn't it?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came

philjxn
Ugly
Ugly

Post by philjxn » 21 Aug 2004, 01:58

Yup...deliberate but somewhat belated signal of a sorta truce.
Freddie Laker showed them what to do...

whatonearthamidoing
SHAKESPEARO

Post by whatonearthamidoing » 05 Oct 2004, 12:50

The more I think about it the more I recon that it must have been stopping swearing... After all Hugh invented the clitoris didn't he?
I recon that the explicit bla bla label slapped on a cd is a must have accessory to boost sales. Like on American idiot, really wet swearing like oops we forgot to swaear, quick shove a couple of quick fucks (nice) in this song, got sticker got result. Acually I quite like Green Day, not quite punk tho, whatever that is.
All I want for Christmas is world domination, not too much to ask, is it?

65-1047435260

Post by 65-1047435260 » 07 Oct 2004, 23:40

I think there biggest mistake was not splitting up. Perhaps then they could have reformed and got loads of media coverage and sales and actually have been credited with their rightful place in British Music History rather than being bloody ignored by everyone else!

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool » 24 Oct 2004, 00:05

On reflection...and after a lot of deliberation, I now think that the worst career move The Stranglers ever made was.......

...not to continue with STRIPPERS in their live performances!

More tits & ass please!

The Stranglers without sexism! ?! Unthinkable!

:doh:

Alenyx
Rats Rally

Post by Alenyx » 26 Jan 2005, 13:50

male ones please :p

Edited By Alenyx on 1106743867

Richt
Down In The Sewer

Post by Richt » 27 May 2005, 13:36

Ok, following up GB with LF was a mistake, Tramp should have been the choice, but somehow I just don't think the later output would have given them much more "chart" time anyway.

spaceace
Rats Rally

Post by spaceace » 18 Aug 2005, 03:46

Continuing as The Stranglers without Hugh...as they clearly weren't.