I got into the Stranglers in......

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

I got into the Stranglers in......

pre-77
7%
77-82
67%
83-87
11%
88-90
2%
91-95
3%
96-2000
2%
2000 onwards
8%

Total votes: 295

PjInBlack
Rats Rally

Post by PjInBlack »

i listened to one of my dads greatest hits cd's and fell in love with the band since then i'v bought all their cd's!
PjInBlack
Rats Rally

Post by PjInBlack »

that was 2005 i think cos i weren't aware of norfolk coast comin out
GripGavin
SHAKESPEARO

Re: I got into the Stranglers in......

Post by GripGavin »

I was born in 93 so I'm really sure when It clicked, I was my Dad playing the Albums in the House & He Had The Greatest Hits 82-90 Video
dan-electro
Ugly
Ugly

Post by dan-electro »

September 1979. My brother came in from school with a borrowed copy of "Rattus" and put it on his turntable. He played side 1 to me and I was hooked!! I then bought the "Duchess" single from a mate a couple of weeks later for 10p!! This was followed by the "Nuclear Device" & "Harry" EP. I got both in a "bargain bin" in my local Chemist shop for £1. Happy days!! :grin:
Hugh - "We had gangs of skinheads coming along trying to cause problems and stuff"
Rick Wakeman - "How did you deal with it?"
Hugh - "Our bass player used to jump off the stage and beat the shit out of them!"
magnus
Down In The Sewer

Post by magnus »

In 1977.

Bought Grip/London Lady of a guy who played in a Swedish punk band (Asta Kask - they still play today and did a US tour recently).
He had loads of obscure singles. Chelsea, 999, Sham69, London, Cockney Rejects and so on. I think there even was a band called Armitage Shanks (like the urinal).

/Magnus
Alexinblack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Alexinblack »

Although I had seen the Stranglers a few times before, 2008 was the year I really got into them.
Five Minutes
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Five Minutes »

1979 when Duchess came out.

I was 11.
Last time I came here a friend of mine just got triple-jacked over a steeplehammer and jessop jessop jessop jessop jessop
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

1978. My mate at school got me into them. We went to his brothers mates house once on this council estate and he said listen to this boys. And he played Down in the sewer at full volume. It sounded awesome and the album sleeve was superb. He gave my mate a copy of No More Heroes because he wasn't keen on it. We played it non stop for weeks round my mates house. I could never have played it in my house with those lyrics, I was only 11! I remember buying Black and White when it came out and I just could not stop playing it. I then finally got a copy of Rattus but I hid it away from my family because of Ugly! I then somehow forgot about the Stranglers (I was young!) and only got back into them when Golden Brown came out. I have followed them ever since.
paulwilko
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by paulwilko »

79 for me, a friend lent me Rattus, on cassette, remember them! Next thing I knew I had bought X certs & was at Wembley stadium to see them with the Who, I was 14. :grin:
AndyMatthews
Rats Rally

Post by AndyMatthews »

'77 for me. A mate of mine told me that this "new band" were playing No More Heroes on Top of the Pops and wanted me to tell him what I thought. Watched it and persuaded Mum to pop into Boots the Chemist ( :shock: )to buy it for me that weekend. Got NMH Album for Christmas. Saw them for the first time in 79 in Birmingham and the rest is History.
senafoxx
SHAKESPEARO

Post by senafoxx »

Probably '78 for me....bunch of us were listening to one of my mates big brother's copy of Rattus....can remember listening to Ugly and Sewer for hours....wasn't easy in those days to convince my parents that i MUST HAVE a copy of Rattus\Heroes etc....!! :lol:
Ribery
Rats Rally

Post by Ribery »