I got into the Stranglers in......

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

I got into the Stranglers in......

pre-77
7%
77-82
67%
83-87
11%
88-90
2%
91-95
3%
96-2000
2%
2000 onwards
8%

Total votes: 283

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling » 23 Feb 2006, 03:35

1977 when I was just 10.
Didn't get to see them while 1981 when I was 14.
Seen em 72 times.
:-)

Old Codger
Rats Rally

Post by Old Codger » 01 Mar 2006, 22:55

Was 77 as far as I remember, mate of mine had The Jam, In the City, The Vibrators and Rattus, we played them at high volume in his room. He went down the Jam road and I went down the Stranglers road.

Funny that the Vibrators connection would surface again with JE and Euroman Cometh and then later as a band member.

Think my NMH LP has a Woolies sticker inside from November 77, first gig was Stafford Bingley Hall in May 78 and then the biggie that left me buzzing for years was Battersea in September 78.

Was 16 at the time, remember also being in to Souxsie but was not a big punk.

Loved the Rubettes before this :oops: 'Sugar Babee Lurv.....' :oops:
Are these the devil, are they four (again)?

Mitch K
Rats Rally

Post by Mitch K » 04 Mar 2006, 11:20

Was 'aware of' Peaches & NMH but it was Nice n Sleazy that really caught my ear, bought Black & White on release, and immediately (well - paper round wages permitting) caught up with Rattus & NMH

First gig was Brid Spa Sept (?) '78 Black & White tour skids supporting.

Mitch "I was fifteen and I fookin loved every minute of it" K.
Robinson Crusoe - worked hard all week and was buggered by Friday

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 04 Mar 2006, 12:18

Got into them in 79 when I was 15 but did not get round to seeing them live until 81.

Was brought up on Live X-cert which I kept listening to over and over again and before long, was stocking up on their vinyl as much as I could.

When I listen to "Feline" I think, "this is the same band that brought us Rattus". When I listen to "Dreamtime", I think, "this is the same band (bar a couple of personnel changes) that brought us "Norfolk Coast".

Awesome. :P
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

Post by Guest » 04 Mar 2006, 13:29

Mark got me into the Stranglers at Southgate College in 1981 and then met you lot and went to Hammy Odeon etc with you - Ahhh good days

:grin: :grin: :grin:

MULLY
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by MULLY » 04 Mar 2006, 15:51

I got into them in '77 after seeing their performance of 'Go Buddy Go' on TOTP - it was the whole talk 4th form assembly in school the next day. Had a ticket to see them play Belfast later that year but the gig was cancelled - they were the first 'major' punk band to dare come over to Northern Ireland - but the authorities were too scared to allow them to play!! Had to wait until '78 to see them play (see reviews & pics in BUT 1)

Fuckin' blew me away (as this was my first 'real' gig) - after that I was buying every release and purchasing any back catalogue singles I hadn't already got - and so started what I now consider 'my pension fund'!!! Thats if I ever could bring myself around to selling off my collection - which anyone who knows me seem to think would be highly unlikely, in fact, it has been mooted that it will probably be buried/cremated with me.

Alhough - if I don't sell it off at some later stage to keep me warm in winter in my latter years, it may get passed down to the next generation of MiBs out there.
Allow me to re-arrange your face, sometimes I'd really like to get to know you better

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 04 Mar 2006, 17:54

Theresurearealotofthem... wrote:Mark got me into the Stranglers at Southgate College in 1981 and then met you lot and went to Hammy Odeon etc with you - Ahhh good days

:grin: :grin: :grin:
It seems like yesterday. But it wasn't. It was 25 years ago. But it still seems like yesterday.

8)
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.

Post by Guest » 04 Mar 2006, 19:59

Yeah Cheers for making me feel old Cookie

:lol:

Like whatever !! Whatever that means ???

:roll:

PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon » 04 Mar 2006, 20:13

Theresurearealotofthem... wrote:Yeah Cheers for making me feel old Cookie

Like whatever !! Whatever that means ???

:roll:
I am picturing myself at 85 years of age, in an old folks home with my iPod on, saliva dribbling out of my mouth but with a toothless grin to the toon of "Something Betta Change". :lol:

Skin Deep
Rats Rally

Post by Skin Deep » 06 Mar 2006, 16:04

...in the summer of 77.

On holiday in Tillicoultry (near Stirling) with my folks (I know, I know...I was twelve, OK?) and we were staying in a kind of youth hostel place along with about 40 french students, some of whom were exceedingly attractive young girls - "Bring On The Nubiles". Sorry. Had to be said.

Anyway, in the common/games room of this place they had a record player (remember them kids?) and on constant rotation was the Peaches/Go Buddy Go 7 inch. I was a convert and never looked back. I still have a thing for french girls too! :lol:
"Life shows no mercy."

Post by Guest » 06 Mar 2006, 19:58

Skin Deep - Do you live anywhere near Fish's Studio in Haddington?

Cookie - Don't forget the Nubile young nurse to help wipe up the dribble !!!

Skin Deep
Rats Rally

Post by Skin Deep » 06 Mar 2006, 22:20

Theresurearealotofthem... wrote:Skin Deep - Do you live anywhere near Fish's Studio in Haddington?
I guess I must do but I don't know where it is. I'm 5 minutes from the town centre near the Railway Hotel.

I did see him getting the groceries in at Tescos once though. :lol:
"Life shows no mercy."