B&W Vs The Raven - Production/mix

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

B&W Vs The Raven - Production/mix

B&W
42%
The Raven
58%

Total votes: 69

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Seems to have cropped up in topic recently so into the booths people!

Which one has the best production or mix in your opinion.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
strangled87
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by strangled87 »

i've heard some of the tracks off the raven and it seems incredible, but since i havent actually heard the whole album i went with b&w.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

As I put in my post The Raven is quite simply superb.

I don't think theres anything that could be done to make it any better...
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
GRIFF
Ugly
Ugly

Post by GRIFF »

Just to reply to gizzards post, I would like to hear a different mix of the raven. To say it cannot be bettered is a futile attempt to say the possible is impossible. It is a very tasty specimen. Lets replicate the J.E. theory(yes him again!) Re-record , as J.E. would have liked to have done to I.T.N. Different approach, and angle, but with the same arrangements. Let Baz do the biz, then let them consider a reworking/mixing of the Meninblack as their next project.......with full strings and orchestration :booze: :booze:
Griff
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

GRIFF wrote:Just to reply to gizzards post, I would like to hear a different mix of the raven. To say it cannot be bettered is a futile attempt to say the possible is impossible. It is a very tasty specimen. Lets replicate the J.E. theory(yes him again!) Re-record , as J.E. would have liked to have done to I.T.N. Different approach, and angle, but with the same arrangements. Let Baz do the biz, then let them consider a reworking/mixing of the Meninblack as their next project.......with full strings and orchestration :booze: :booze:
Nah sorry Griff!

Leave it just as it is....
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
evonx
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by evonx »

I'd like to have Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime rerecorded really but then again why would they? It would be a waste of time and money, better try and come up with some great new stuff!
As for the poll: I don't really prefer one or the other, both sound really good and for me the whole sound really fits the songs on both albums.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Rich
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Rich »

GRIFF wrote:Just to reply to gizzards post, I would like to hear a different mix of the raven. To say it cannot be bettered is a futile attempt to say the possible is impossible. It is a very tasty specimen. Lets replicate the J.E. theory(yes him again!) Re-record , as J.E. would have liked to have done to I.T.N. Different approach, and angle, but with the same arrangements. Let Baz do the biz, then let them consider a reworking/mixing of the Meninblack as their next project.......with full strings and orchestration :booze: :booze:

Sacrilege. Wash your keyboard out, Griff, and say 'Hail MiB' twenty times to free yourself from sin. Repent, I say repent.

:cool: :notworthy:

Rich.
Black and White becomes........
daniellameijvis
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by daniellameijvis »

I would have liked them both. :-) :-)
DANIELLA
shah
The Raven
The Raven

Post by shah »

Though the Raven is the ultimate lp, I feel that Black and White is crisper.

The sound on Nice and Sleazy is so clean and immediate.
The Raven sounds a little muddy in places. I feel that it could be remixed to be brighter. Longships sounds the best to me.
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...go go...
shah shaaah...
spaceace
Rats Rally

Post by spaceace »

I love B+W but you can't compare it to the Raven for production really, the Raven stands on it's own in that field, I don't think they bettered it as a body of work. :wink:
Sancho Panza
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Sancho Panza »

I voted for The Raven but it's just becuase I like the album slightly better.
I think both albums have the appropriate production, B&W has a stark, warts and all, "playing in your front room" kind of quality (demonstrated by JJ's bunged up/flu affected vocal on Threatened, "this is how it is, like it or lump it"). This form suits the material down to the ground.

The Raven should be left alone and never tampered with, even adding extra tracks on the end of reissue cd's spoils it.
Martin Rushent may have had a few fallouts with the band but we wouldn't have these classics to enjoy without him and Alan Winstanley.

Perhaps I should just invest in a decent turntable again and dig out my vinyl.
ffursbit

Post by ffursbit »

Black & White every time. While The Raven is the more interesting album in its experimentalism (is that a word??), I think B&W has the edge over it with better songs, great production, a menacing edge (that they never managed to replicate after), in other words, a band at its peak. Can't be a coincidence that the B&W material sounds better than ever in their live outings these days.