Best Post 1990 Album - Stranglers or Hugh?

All the ongoing Polls are in here - make sure you`ve voted on all of em!

Best Post 1990 Album - Stranglers or Hugh?

Stranglers In The Night
4%
Wired / First Bus to Babylon
No votes
About Time
7%
Written in Red
No votes
Guilty / BHBEBS
33%
Coup De Grace
3%
HiFi
4%
Sons of Shiva
No votes
Norfolk Coast
45%
Beyond Elysian Fields
5%

Total votes: 76

ThruBeingCool
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by ThruBeingCool »

wadey1 wrote:BEYOND ELSIAN FIELDS!!!
latest stranglers offerings not so good, only the odd song (In the End....oh thats it). cornwell is the song writer. hes still got the goods as a song writer, hence the coolness of BEF. the current line up couldnt write a good tune if they tried, especially cos bon jovi wannabee would be howling through it.
What an utter load of bollox! (well o.k. Hugh's stuff IS good, I agree) but your views on The Stranglers ....:roll:

'In The End' is a latest offering is it?

The youth of today...tsk! :wink:

SHIT!...I fell for it! :( ..Here we go again! the same old debate with a different title!

I should know better :shock:
Last edited by ThruBeingCool on 13 Mar 2006, 00:02, edited 1 time in total.
yellowcakeuf6
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by yellowcakeuf6 »

gizzard wrote:In fact all Stranglers albums then Hugh's
Seems fair. (MoR Morrisey wishalike!) :twisted:
Skin Deep
Rats Rally

Post by Skin Deep »

Easy peasy, lemon squeezy. Norfolk Coast.

Now I love Hugh, I really do. But for me none of his solo work measures up to his time as a strangler. I still like it though.

Norfolk Coast is really a return to form (I know it's a cliche, but it's true, it is, it's true!). So it might not be the Raven, but it is immensely enjoyable nevertheless.
"Life shows no mercy."
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

NORFOLK COAST - superb album. IMHO, wins by a mile. That's why it's going to be so difficult to better it. But they will ! :twisted:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
suchi
Ugly
Ugly

Post by suchi »

Hi Fi….. Hugh still sculpts out a good tune.
Isolate the critisism and pass it on.
FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by FenDale »

Norfolk Coast - Hugh's solo stuff has never done much for me even when he was still in the band.
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
wadey1

Post by wadey1 »

The Stranglers since 1990 arent the stranglers anymore. only since norfolk coast have they sounded anything like the stranglers. in the night and the rest sound like an unsigned soft rock band sending in demos. and by putting IN the End in there i mean that is the last GOOD stranglers track i recall. nowadays the stranglers do sound "stranglery" (made that word up, good innit?) but they just dont have the songs. GOLDEN BROWN< HEROES, PEACHES, ALWAYS THE SUN... these are the some of the best songs ever written, nevermind the best stranglers songs. and who sang em and wrote most... Hughy. without him there are no good stranglers songs. PERIOD!!!!
PaulinLondon
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by PaulinLondon »

wadey1 wrote: and who sang em and wrote most... Hughy. without him there are no good stranglers songs. PERIOD!!!!
Achtung !

Himmel !!

Dive, dive, dive !
:roll:
"Madame, Be in no doubt as to the seriousness of your position". The Day of the Jackal, 1973.
FenDale
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by FenDale »

Wadey has dangled the bait, but then I re-read what (s)he'd written and I thought that really there's no point geting into all this again.

What I would say to Wadey is go to a Stranglers gig and tell me you don't enjoy it, that's what it's all really about as the past's gone and won't come back, accept it!
If Karen Carpenter had eaten Mama Cass' sandwich they'd both still be alive today!
LAIDBLACKINKENT
Down In The Sewer

Post by LAIDBLACKINKENT »

Norfolk Coast nothing else comes close..Wadey you are sent to the Sin Bin..
Have you all got your Crackerjack pencils
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Aye, maybe he has though. I`d also urge any fans out of touch with Hugh to go see him again as in the last few years he's come a long way.

Jim
FenDale wrote:Wadey has dangled the bait, but then I re-read what (s)he'd written and I thought that really there's no point geting into all this again.

What I would say to Wadey is go to a Stranglers gig and tell me you don't enjoy it, that's what it's all really about as the past's gone and won't come back, accept it!
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
nickinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by nickinblack »

Guilty the best.Best from The Strangs,a toss up between In The Night and Norfolk Coast.
Jim,I think Wadey deserves some extra points. :lol:
behold the stranglers bring you aural sculpture