All killer no filler'?

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

saminblack
Ugly
Ugly

All killer no filler'?

Post by saminblack »

Nine years ago on this forum I made the assertion that 'Giants' was all killer, no filler. I was rightfully ripped to bits by a Forum legend at the time and he turned out to be right. So, get ready because I am about to say the same about 'Dark Matters'. Let me explain....

Like you all, I have had a fair bit of time now to get to know, live with and further explore 'Dark Matters' and having passed the initial hyped up thrill of a new release - which can warp your opinion - it is with genuine pleasure that I can say that time is merely growing my conviction that this is a seriously good record. There are no bad tracks - and 11 tunes that all truly earn their place.

As a comparison, I remember that initial lust for life for 'Giants' - but it didn't last long. I remarked here after just two playings that it was 'all killer, no filler' and I now realise that was nuts: I mean 'Mercury Rising' was on it for starters. I hereby apologize for that and will apologize again if this assessment changes but at this stage I truly can't see that happening. Put simply there is nothing about this album to dislike and for once the many, many ecstatic magazine/paper/website reviews are spot on - this is a truly memorable and important album.

Ok let us look at a couple of the objections I have read here to this enthusiasm.....

The slower trio - 'The Lines', 'Down' and 'Breathe' - seem to get the biggest stick but I am staggered by that. The Stranglers have been showing since 'Princess of the Streets' onwards (and well before official releases of course) that you don't have to crank it up high to hit the mark and I relish this fascinating trio. 'The Lines' has the most beautiful, simple melody and I keep imagining it as a theme song to a tv show, 'Down' is another splendidly melodic and wonderfully sung tune which is like the 'Don't Bring Harry' of the 21st century for me and 'Breathe' is a majestic finale with a stirring musical ending which all reminds me of the hugely under-rated 'Too Precious'. Yep, all three 'slowies' are fast embedding in my favourites tray.

A big up also for the two early singles - 'Dave' and 'If Something' which don't impress some. If I am being honest I tnought both were great as singles but hardly classic material but I am pleasantly surprised to see that both are actually growing in my estimation and enjoyment now as they work so much better in an album context. I liked them both before - now I love them. It is the 'Dark Matters' effect.

The rest of the tracks are possibly less contentious but I would say that 'Payday' and 'No Man's Land' are both growers also with far more to delve into than first playings may suggest . Oh and as for 'White Stallion' - my initial choice of least favourite - I find it irresistible now and love it's quirky, OTT power and energy. I seem to be the only person who thinks of Muse every time I hear it - a band JJ has praised and clearly really admires - but that is no bad thing for me and I just like the whole crazy song now. I can see why so many fans think it is the best here.

The others we all know about and seem to be universally liked so no arguments there so that adds up to 11 great tracks and one great album. I genuinely think we should feel incredibly proud that 'our boys' have produced such an accomplished, eclectic, exciting and uplifting album at the twilight of their careers. Bands simply aren't supposed to pull out last album classics.

The best compliment of all I can give is that Mr David Greenfield would feel very proud of this. It is a wonderful testimony to a wonderful man and an unbelievable band.

Thanks for reading
X

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

They'll be called the survivors..you know why?....cos they're gonna survive
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: All killer no filler'?

Post by Greatkudu »

saminblack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 20:32 Nine years ago on this forum I made the assertion that 'Giants' was all killer, no filler. I was rightfully ripped to bits by a Forum legend at the time and he turned out to be right. So, get ready because I am about to say the same about 'Dark Matters'. Let me explain....

Like you all, I have had a fair bit of time now to get to know, live with and further explore 'Dark Matters' and having passed the initial hyped up thrill of a new release - which can warp your opinion - it is with genuine pleasure that I can say that time is merely growing my conviction that this is a seriously good record. There are no bad tracks - and 11 tunes that all truly earn their place.

As a comparison, I remember that initial lust for life for 'Giants' - but it didn't last long. I remarked here after just two playings that it was 'all killer, no filler' and I now realise that was nuts: I mean 'Mercury Rising' was on it for starters. I hereby apologize for that and will apologize again if this assessment changes but at this stage I truly can't see that happening. Put simply there is nothing about this album to dislike and for once the many, many ecstatic magazine/paper/website reviews are spot on - this is a truly memorable and important album.

Ok let us look at a couple of the objections I have read here to this enthusiasm.....

The slower trio - 'The Lines', 'Down' and 'Breathe' - seem to get the biggest stick but I am staggered by that. The Stranglers have been showing since 'Princess of the Streets' onwards (and well before official releases of course) that you don't have to crank it up high to hit the mark and I relish this fascinating trio. 'The Lines' has the most beautiful, simple melody and I keep imagining it as a theme song to a tv show, 'Down' is another splendidly melodic and wonderfully sung tune which is like the 'Don't Bring Harry' of the 21st century for me and 'Breathe' is a majestic finale with a stirring musical ending which all reminds me of the hugely under-rated 'Too Precious'. Yep, all three 'slowies' are fast embedding in my favourites tray.

A big up also for the two early singles - 'Dave' and 'If Something' which don't impress some. If I am being honest I tnought both were great as singles but hardly classic material but I am pleasantly surprised to see that both are actually growing in my estimation and enjoyment now as they work so much better in an album context. I liked them both before - now I love them. It is the 'Dark Matters' effect.

The rest of the tracks are possibly less contentious but I would say that 'Payday' and 'No Man's Land' are both growers also with far more to delve into than first playings may suggest . Oh and as for 'White Stallion' - my initial choice of least favourite - I find it irresistible now and love it's quirky, OTT power and energy. I seem to be the only person who thinks of Muse every time I hear it - a band JJ has praised and clearly really admires - but that is no bad thing for me and I just like the whole crazy song now. I can see why so many fans think it is the best here.

The others we all know about and seem to be universally liked so no arguments there so that adds up to 11 great tracks and one great album. I genuinely think we should feel incredibly proud that 'our boys' have produced such an accomplished, eclectic, exciting and uplifting album at the twilight of their careers. Bands simply aren't supposed to pull out last album classics.

The best compliment of all I can give is that Mr David Greenfield would feel very proud of this. It is a wonderful testimony to a wonderful man and an unbelievable band.

Thanks for reading
X

Sir what a fantastic post, well done and I agree with all you say. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

saminblack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 20:32 Nine years ago on this forum I made the assertion that 'Giants' was all killer, no filler. I was rightfully ripped to bits by a Forum legend at the time and he turned out to be right. So, get ready because I am about to say the same about 'Dark Matters'.
I just had to search back to find out exactly who this "forum legend" was (it was ThruBeingCool) and in doing so I noticed that right above that post was my initial review of Giants which was great to read as I noticed I'd given it quite a mixed review initially and my opinion has only changed in the sense that I think even less of it now than I did then. I can't imagine my thoughts on Dark Matters will change, either.
saminblack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 20:32 The slower trio - 'The Lines', 'Down' and 'Breathe' - seem to get the biggest stick but I am staggered by that. The Stranglers have been showing since 'Princess of the Streets' onwards (and well before official releases of course) that you don't have to crank it up high to hit the mark and I relish this fascinating trio.
Of course you don't have to crank it up high to hit the mark, but come on. None of those songs are in the same league as "Princess of the Streets" or "Don't Bring Harry" or even - to use a post-Hugh example - "In the End" ... They remind me more of basement tier stuff from Coup de Grace like "Known Onto Unto God" or "Miss You", just more clearer sounding and less cheap sounding.
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

Greatkudu wrote:
saminblack wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 20:32 Nine years ago on this forum I made the assertion that 'Giants' was all killer, no filler. I was rightfully ripped to bits by a Forum legend at the time and he turned out to be right. So, get ready because I am about to say the same about 'Dark Matters'. Let me explain....

Thanks for reading
X

Sir what a fantastic post, well done and I agree with all you say. Lt Kudu.
What a brilliant post.

I can hear Muse on White Stallion now that you have mentioned it and also a touch of Attack of the grey lantern era Mansun.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I don't hear Attack of the Grey Lantern-era Mansun in it at all. Muse, perhaps, but only in the sense of its bombast, not in terms of its quality. Muse actually do bombast quite well - unsure if "White Stallion" has enough to it to justify the bombast (I'm leaning towards "it doesn't") ...
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

Great post Sam.
I hope you're right and DM stands the test of time.
For what it's worth my favourite track at the moment is Water.
I think as a package the album is brilliant, the slower numbers work and are placed perfectly.
I buy still music from 'older' artists who aren't as relevant these days and DM stands up better than most.
It's still on in the car and will be until it properly sinks in. The Stranglers have done a marvellous job with this album and the good reviews are well deserved.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

I remember reading (several times) that Bax and JJ had something like 200 “ideas”. No Mans Land is one example of what sounds like a bunch of ideas melded into a song. Not a criticism- I bet that you look good on the dancefloor by the Arctic Monkeys is another one- just an observation.
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Boody
Ugly
Ugly
Location: Arse end of commuter land, always looking for an escape

Post by Boody »

I meant Baz… fecking autocorrect…
I can't help getting old. I just refuse to grow up.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

A great post Sam.
I would say that, although Giants may not have stood the test of time that well, it is still a very good and enjoyable Stranglers album (as are albums such as Dreamtime and About Time), just not up there with their very best (but what is).
I also agree for Dark Matters “there is nothing about this album to dislike and for once the many, many ecstatic magazine/paper/website reviews are spot on - this is a truly memorable and important album”; The Stranglers have stepped up with better songs that together make an excellent album that is closer to The Stranglers at their very, very best (which is no mean feat).
As you say Dark Matters is “all killer, no filler”, or to put it another way, simply a truly great Stranglers album, not quite their very best but close enough one would be churlish not to be congratulatory.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Cricklewood
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Cricklewood »

Ehh I'd never expect anything to be "all killer, no filler". Seems prone to setting yourself up for disappointment.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Boody wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 22:02 I meant Baz… fecking autocorrect…
The Typo Police were ready to strike Sir, Get a Grip Sir Please. Lt Kudu :smt005
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

This thread'll certainly be an interesting one to bump in the future :lol: