Dark Matters v Giants

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Dark Matters v Giants

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 21:15
jason wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 18:50
Jon the Impaler wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 10:54

I never got the feel Giants was aggressive , but I think back then Killing Joke released their album at the same time .There was no comparison , I think I mentioned it too , the KJ one was blisteringly aggressive , the Stranglers (Giants ) seemed very tame , unadventurous , limp even .Chalk and cheese , but The Stranglers one was mega disappointing , even to the day now.
I don't particularly want really aggressive music from them now. Im not that keen on stuff like Summat etc .
Well on DM there are a couple aggressive ones the notable one being No mans Land, all the ones sung by JJ are mellow, Baz certainly does the menace well, but he's also showing his softer side, that was always one of the many features about the band, even on the first album you have something like Ugly and Princess, such diverse songs, so with DM you have an eclectic selection which is great for the fan and listener, I love Giants but I think the music is more interesting on the new album and more diverse, a song I'm really getting into now is Last Man on the Moon, some great Keys from Dave, wasn't sure about the altered Vocal effects at first but it works,and White Stallion is bonkers but in a good way, JJ can see where the threat is coming from? I agree with him, very astute man old JJ or old but young looking JJ. Lt Kudu.
Well in my view your post is SPOT ON! well said.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:This is such an awful way of comparing one album with another.
I have to agree Stan.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

theraven1979 wrote:Number of Times I've Played Giants: 3.5
Number of Times I've Played DM: 5

Jim
That's an 8.5 total...that means you can have 8 and one half Pints of Beer Tonight Jim.

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

Greatkudu wrote:
Bear Cage wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 23:03
StanInBlack wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 22:45 "No Man's Land" is about a stones throw away from "A Soldier's Diary" ...
A really fuckin long throw Image
I would say a great Rift Valley throw, the only thing they have in common is they are Baz in his full throttle menace mode, like a snarling Hyena, and I bet no one's ever said that before, I've had a close encounter with one in the Serengeti. Lt Kudu.
Luckily the Hyena saw your Tweed Jacket and + Fours and died laughing!!

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 19:29
Greatkudu wrote:
Bear Cage wrote: 23 Sep 2021, 23:03

A really fuckin long throw Image
I would say a great Rift Valley throw, the only thing they have in common is they are Baz in his full throttle menace mode, like a snarling Hyena, and I bet no one's ever said that before, I've had a close encounter with one in the Serengeti. Lt Kudu.
Luckily the Hyena saw your Tweed Jacket and + Fours and died laughing!!

Very Funny, it was more my head torch shone in the Hyenas eyes that saved me from a potential arm loss, but it was really just interested in food, Hyenas rarely attack humans, most attacks and there aren't many are when fools leave food in their Tents, was a case a few years ago, in a camp where Prince William was staying and the Hyena ripped through tent and did a lot of damage to the unfortunate victim, highly likely food was in the tent. And I was wearing shorts and fleece if I remember, oh and what a surprise a Stranglers fleece. Lt Kudu. :smt005
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I've played Giants recently out of curiosity and it isn't as bad as I once thought.Nine years is a slow burner.Patchy, as Baz admits,but I have promoted it from a 4 out of 10 to a 6.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 21:15 I've played Giants recently out of curiosity and it isn't as bad as I once thought.Nine years is a slow burner.Patchy, as Baz admits,but I have promoted it from a 4 out of 10 to a 6.
What I can't get is why Mercury Rising gets so much stick on here, its a good song, great bass line, keyboards, drum pattern and good vocal from Baz plus it's different to anything they have done before, I would say Boom Boom possibly weakest track but it's better live,they played it at the Brussels Festival in 2012,it sounded good, I play Giants quite regularly, I never play any of the albums with Paul except NC. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 21:28 What I can't get is why Mercury Rising gets so much stick on here
Because Baz's vocal on it is so fucking ridiculous to the point where I don't ever want anyone to catch me listening to it.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 21:28 What I can't get is why Mercury Rising gets so much stick on here, its a good song, great bass line, keyboards, drum pattern and good vocal from Baz plus it's different to anything they have done before.
I was beginning to think that it was just me who thinks that Mercury Rising is a great track. It's one of the few tracks that seems to reference the old whilst still sounding fresh. I listened to it the other day and I thought 'why didn't Dave take over the vocals for the chorus?'. Baz is almost imitating Dave. Anyway, yes I like it.
Let's Boogie
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

StanInBlack wrote:
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 21:28 What I can't get is why Mercury Rising gets so much stick on here
Because Baz's vocal on it is so fucking ridiculous to the point where I don't ever want anyone to catch me listening to it.
Just listen to it in the bath. With the bathroom door locked. Obviously turn the volume way down.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:54 I must admit I did think the same I'd say it's more of a close cousin of Soldiers Diary.
The compactness, the shifting time signatures, the war theme... I really don't get how anyone couldn't see the link between the two tracks. "A Soldier's Diary" is the better song, of course, even though the "don't really give a fuck" line gets my eyes rolling. It didn't out and out make me piss myself laughing like the first time I heard "No Man's Land", at least.
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

StanInBlack wrote:
theraven1979 wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 12:54 I must admit I did think the same I'd say it's more of a close cousin of Soldiers Diary.
The compactness, the shifting time signatures, the war theme... I really don't get how anyone couldn't see the link between the two tracks. "A Soldier's Diary" is the better song, of course, even though the "don't really give a fuck" line gets my eyes rolling. It didn't out and out make me piss myself laughing like the first time I heard "No Man's Land", at least.
Again, if you are going to piss yourself, the bath is probably the best place to be. Image

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk