Dark Matters v Giants

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Dark Matters v Giants

Post by StanInBlack »

ricam wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 23:14
StanInBlack wrote:
ricam wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 22:56 He's a big boy (no that's not a Freudian slip).
I love it how you felt the need to attach such a transparent disclaimer to that obvious Freudian slip Image Clearly, this mental picture you've built up in your imagination is meeting your expectations :smt005
No Stan.
It's just a joke.
You know, a joke?
To burst the bubble of pomposity.
When you constantly post against the mk 5 stranglers, don't be surprised if you get a kick back now and then.
I'm not the first (or last) who will take issue with your views on the mk5 Stranglers.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
Oh come on, ricam, there's no need to be so coy about it :lol: Only you and you alone can come to terms with these thoughts and feelings you're having... amazing what comes out when you're on the cognac, eh? :smt005
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 22:01
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 21:28 What I can't get is why Mercury Rising gets so much stick on here
Because Baz's vocal on it is so fucking ridiculous to the point where I don't ever want anyone to catch me listening to it.
I thought it was just me that loathed it , a few others that maybe didn't like it much . I do find it completely unlistenable , but it's just personal choice/ taste ......shows how bad it is though because I can listen to The Exploited and totally enjoy them .
All quiet ..........
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Must say that on the whole I like DM , a few not so keen on ( the slow one's of course ) . Now it maybe that I like it so much because it isn't Giants , in the same way I liked Coup over WIR , but there are a few decent songs on this one. Far too soon to be even considered classics , only Relentless in recent....ISH years has got that honour imo , that was instantly classic Stranglers .
All quiet ..........
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 06:17
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Sep 2021, 21:28 What I can't get is why Mercury Rising gets so much stick on here
Because Baz's vocal on it is so fucking ridiculous to the point where I don't ever want anyone to catch me listening to it.
I thought it was just me that loathed it , a few others that maybe didn't like it much . I do find it completely unlistenable , but it's just personal choice/ taste ......shows how bad it is though because I can listen to The Exploited and totally enjoy them .
I quite like MR but only really for JJ, Dave and Jet's parts.
It's one of JJ's best basslines in 21st Century Stranglers and sounds great, Dave's synths are sounding cool and reasonably MIB-ish, and Jet's doing some interesting stuff on the drums because I think he's using a pad as well as his standard kit. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I'm not bothered about Baz's bits, the intro is simultaneously boring and confusing cos I neve know where the start of the bar is until the drums kick in and I don't really like the overblown solo. I'm never a huge fan of Baz's vocals anyway so I would have been much happier if Dave had sung it.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Are Baz's vocals that bad on that track? I haven't noticed.
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Jon the Impaler wrote:
Well it just proves again that everyone hears things differently. I really like MR and think its one of the better ones on Giants.
Yes there are times when Baz's vocal limitations show themselves, but not really on this track IMO
I Hate You !
painter in black
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by painter in black »

I think breathe is a classic!
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

painter in black wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 14:34 I think breathe is a classic!
It is definitely a grower, didn’t stand out first time I listened to DM, but I think I like it more with each play of the album
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I quite like Breathe but it doesn't sound Stranglersly enough maybe?
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote:I quite like Breathe but it doesn't sound Stranglersly enough maybe?
Reminds me of The Doors...Crystal Ship or Haycinth House maybe.. anybody help me?? I hope Stan will recognise it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 26 Sep 2021, 10:11
jason wrote:I quite like Breathe but it doesn't sound Stranglersly enough maybe?
Reminds me of The Doors...Crystal Ship or Haycinth House maybe.. anybody help me?? I hope Stan will recognise it.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yes I know what you mean. It's a decent track but not one of my faves on the album at the moment.
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

jason wrote: 25 Sep 2021, 15:28 I quite like Breathe but it doesn't sound Stranglersly enough maybe?
I don't feel any of the album is particularly traditional Stranglers sounding , it's as different to anything as WIR was , but I don't think it suffers too much for that anyway . I loved Norfolk and Suite BECAUSE they had much traditional Stranglers on them , hated Giants because though traditional in places I just found it patchy at best and abysmal in places ....and even worse than that at times . I guess DM shouldn-t particularly be judged by past standards as it's different ....though I do exactly that myself 😀, it's pretty much a standalone .I can understand and sympathize with Stan , it's a shit when you wait for ages and end up disappointed , I tried to like Giants , gave it 6 months of trying but other than Freedom and possibly 15 steps there is no reason to go back , in fact there is good reason not to go back😑. I like DM as I have said , it's not among my top one's yet but it's good , has its faults ( 3 slow one's or near accoustic) but good outweighs bad easily for me ,Breathe I don't see me ever liking much , it's like the jazz stuff I loathe , just not what I listen to and at least if it is to be the band's last studio album , at least they can say that once again they got into the top 10 for the first time since Hugh era . I don't see another album in them now , time , effort , idea's I think are all against them now......but at least if it is they go out on a high , Stan of course may say otherwise
All quiet ..........