Feature Classic Rock

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

alaninblack
Rats Rally

Re: Feature Classic Rock

Post by alaninblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 19:56 "In One Door", "Head on the Line", possibly "Here and There" - it was a great songwriting period for them.
I could not disagree with this statement more, it was awful in my opinion. Listening to AS for the first time was such a disappointment for me back in the day. I've barley listed to AS, Dreamtime and 10 over the years and almost consider them to be Hugh solo projects. I really cant stand the "whimsical" feel of that period.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

AS and Dreamtime are classic 80s Stranglers and arguably contain some of the 80s greatest singles. A worthy addition to the Stranglers back catalogue

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 09:36 AS and Dreamtime are classic 80s Stranglers and arguably contain some of the 80s greatest singles. A worthy addition to the Stranglers back catalogue
Yup, agreed. "Skin Deep" and "Always the Sun" are as evergreen as "Golden Brown" for me, in the sense that I've listened to those tracks hundreds upon hundreds of times and I'm still not bored of them. Also, Dreamtime for me ranks as one of The Stranglers' finest albums ever - there is literally not one track on that album that I would skip.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

The songwriting during the Aural Sculpture period was first class for the most part. For me the rot set in around Dreamtime, though there are some strong songs there too.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Both Aural and Dreamtime are great IMO. They are obviously different to what came before, perhaps they are a bit "more Hugh" in terms of the songs & vocals, but in terms of instrumentation they are most definitely all 4 original members "singing"
This is the one bit where I disagree with JJ when he recently said that DM is their "first grown up album", cause these 2 are "grown up" if you wanna put it that way..
I Hate You !
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

aldinblack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:21 Both Aural and Dreamtime are great IMO. They are obviously different to what came before, perhaps they are a bit "more Hugh" in terms of the songs & vocals, but in terms of instrumentation they are most definitely all 4 original members "singing"
This is the one bit where I disagree with JJ when he recently said that DM is their "first grown up album", cause these 2 are "grown up" if you wanna put it that way..
Given what they sounded like pre-punk, the 'softer' years aren't really that much of a departure are they?

It is a bit silly JJ trading off on the 'grown up' and post Dave angle when he's pushing 70 and is a grandparent and has lost both of his parents etc - as if he wasn't grown up years ago?
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

8088 wrote:
aldinblack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:21 Both Aural and Dreamtime are great IMO. They are obviously different to what came before, perhaps they are a bit "more Hugh" in terms of the songs & vocals, but in terms of instrumentation they are most definitely all 4 original members "singing"
Given what they sounded like pre-punk, the 'softer' years aren't really that much of a departure are they?

It is a bit silly JJ trading off on the 'grown up' and post Dave angle when he's pushing 70 and is a grandparent and has lost both of his parents etc - as if he wasn't grown up years ago?
yeah exactly, I can see the point he was trying to make, but he's kind of doing himself a bit of an injustice IMO cause they did "grown up stuff" decades ago..
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:26 Given what they sounded like pre-punk, the 'softer' years aren't really that much of a departure are they?
Not really. I see Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime as less of a departure as more as a return to the more melodic songwriting they were doing at the very beginning of the band, just with the production values of the time. Having said that, at the time only the really seriously dedicated would have been aware of material like "Charlie Boy", "I Know It", "My Young Dreams" etc., so to a lot of people it must have seemed like a departure even though in hindsight it wasn't.

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:48
8088 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:26 Given what they sounded like pre-punk, the 'softer' years aren't really that much of a departure are they?
Not really. I see Aural Sculpture and Dreamtime as less of a departure as more as a return to the more melodic songwriting they were doing at the very beginning of the band, just with the production values of the time. Having said that, at the time only the really seriously dedicated would have been aware of material like "Charlie Boy", "I Know It", "My Young Dreams" etc., so to a lot of people it must have seemed like a departure even though in hindsight it wasn't.
You've disagreed with me and said the same thing :lol:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:52
Eh? You said "the 'softer' years aren't really that much of a departure are they?" and I said "not really", meaning I agree with you (for once). Comprehension skills are everything.

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:57
8088 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 12:52

Eh? You said "the 'softer' years aren't really that much of a departure are they?" and I said "not really", meaning I agree with you (for once). Comprehension skills are everything.
Since when does "not really" mean "I agree" ?
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 13:05 Since when does "not really" mean "I agree" ?
When it's in the context of answering literally the exact the question that you've asked, evidently. I'd rather focus on the fact that we're - incredibly - in agreement for once than your comprehension abilities, though.