Feature Classic Rock

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: Feature Classic Rock

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 13:13
8088 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 13:05 Since when does "not really" mean "I agree" ?
When it's in the context of answering literally the exact the question that you've asked, evidently. I'd rather focus on the fact that we're - incredibly - in agreement for once than your comprehension abilities, though.
We agree on lots of things StanInBlack but generally you won't acknowledge that.

But to illustrate the use of "not really"

"I bet you are looking forward to the weekend!"
"Not really."

That means no - he disagrees.

If you want to get the last word in feel free - this is beyond tedious.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 13:20 "I bet you are looking forward to the weekend!"
"Not really."
That's because in that particular context, and in response to that particular statement, "not really" would be a disagreement. Obviously.

(You're correct that this is beyond tedious, though. Tellingly, it's also a line of conversation you started)
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I understood Stan's post and thought his opinion was clearly presented.
It would have been even better if "not really" was replaced with "I agree, it doesn't really".
Literacy is fun and we should all be lifelong learners.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

parasiteinblack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 14:00 It would have been even better if "not really" was replaced with "I agree, it doesn't really".
Agreed.

So many of StanInBlack's disagreements with me start with the words "Not really" so that's why I was blindsided to any other interpretation but having read it again with fresh eyes it does indeed scan as being in agreement.

So in this instance I apologise for being hasty and incorrect.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Next we will be having discussions on when to use "affect" or "effect", or even worse, what is the plural of crocus!!!!
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

It's always wonderful when someone wades into a dead discussion a month too late.
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

StanInBlack wrote:It's always wonderful when someone wades into a dead discussion a month too late.
It's also wonderful when someone comments on said wading in to that dead Discussion.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 11:47
StanInBlack wrote:It's always wonderful when someone wades into a dead discussion a month too late.
It's also wonderful when someone comments on said wading in to that dead Discussion.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 10:33
theraven1979 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 09:36 AS and Dreamtime are classic 80s Stranglers and arguably contain some of the 80s greatest singles. A worthy addition to the Stranglers back catalogue
Yup, agreed. "Skin Deep" and "Always the Sun" are as evergreen as "Golden Brown" for me, in the sense that I've listened to those tracks hundreds upon hundreds of times and I'm still not bored of them. Also, Dreamtime for me ranks as one of The Stranglers' finest albums ever - there is literally not one track on that album that I would skip.
Agreed too about Dreamtime not one bad track and there's not many album's that can say that,La Folie's right there too for me it will always be a very special album in my life at that point in time with 81-82 being my best london gigs with this band that can never be repeated at the Odean and Palais so in a certain way La Folie nicks it for me because that was their tour to that album in my best times in London.But yes for me Dreamtime is too one of those special albums where like La Folie i never skip a track,which reminds me just why i'm a true MK1 fan at heart if you haven't seen it already watch on youtube stranglers EMI boardroom london 1982...just a great interview but with no Dave in a time this band was at their peak i think.