Feature Classic Rock

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Feature Classic Rock

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 09:06 But how do you take a photograph that somehow pretends recent history hasn't happened?
You can't, and that's why the picture unavoidably hammers home the fact that it ain't The Stranglers anymore, no matter the rationale for continuing.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 09:45
8088 wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 09:06 But how do you take a photograph that somehow pretends recent history hasn't happened?
You can't, and that's why the picture unavoidably hammers home the fact that it ain't The Stranglers anymore, no matter the rationale for continuing.
They may decide to call it a day after the tour? Who knows? But if they still want to write and record? It would be pointless not doing it under the Stranglers name as its a well known brand, I don't think changing it to JJ and Baz would get much interest and Jim is invested as he wrote lyrics to one song in the album totally and Co wrote another, so they have another writing source which is healthy I think? Some fresh ideas, the songs he wrote Is No Man's Land, that has a very current feel to it I think but contains classic Stranglers melody in chorus, so he is more than just someone brought in to play drums now. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:07 Jim is invested as he wrote lyrics to one song in the album totally and Co wrote another
He co-wrote one song on the album. One.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

But it hasn't been The Stranglers since 1990. I guess the needle on your Stranglerometer only dips into the red when the original member dial reads below 2 :lol:
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

8088 wrote:
But it hasn't been The Stranglers since 1990. I guess the needle on your Stranglerometer only dips into the red when the original member dial reads below 2 Image
I'm assuming it's been on red since 1990 but is now on pulsating crimson. Probably with a klaxon.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Post by 8088 »

ricam wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:34
8088 wrote:

But it hasn't been The Stranglers since 1990. I guess the needle on your Stranglerometer only dips into the red when the original member dial reads below 2 Image
I'm assuming it's been on red since 1990 but is now on pulsating crimson. Probably with a klaxon.

I took the batteries out of mine...kept waking me up :lol:
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:14
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:07 Jim is invested as he wrote lyrics to one song in the album totally and Co wrote another
He co-wrote one song on the album. One.
And how many songs on each of the Stranglers albums were genuinely co-written by Dave or Jet, does that diminish them as Stranglers, of course it doesn’t. They were an integral part of the Stranglers at the time that produced each album, as Jim is for DM.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.

Post by 8088 »

meter.jpg
meter.jpg (30.6 KiB) Viewed 473 times
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

1 member has died, another is very old and has ill health.

We should be thankful and celebrate that we still have a healthy JJ (and Hugh) who, with their younger friends /associates /band members can still record and play good music.

No the wheels have not fallen off anything, JJ and his friends are standing up and dealing with life, loss, and the passage of time, and are doing it with dignity and respect from what I can see.

It's up to them what they do going forward, time will tell ,

My only request now would be to fix the JJ and Hugh situation... not for musical reasons but just quit the nonsense and make friends....
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:54 They were an integral part of the Stranglers at the time that produced each album
Dave and Jet were an integral part of The Stranglers full stop. It was them, along with Hugh and JJ, that created The Stranglers' unique sound even if Dave and Jet weren't involved in the songwriting. A unique sound that had/has nothing to do with Baz or Jim, and that nobody else aside from those four particular people could create, no matter how hard anyone else tries. And it's a particular sound that will never again happen because one of them is dead, one of them is dying, and the other two can't stand each other.

In any case, Jim's lyrics to "No Man's Land" are pretty dire, and to be fair I thought that before I even knew he'd written them.
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

aldinblack wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 11:01 ...No the wheels have not fallen off anything...
1 member has died, another is very old and has ill health.

:smt038 My thoughts, pritty much exactly.
...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

8088 wrote:
meter.jpg
Brilliant. Image