Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by Palais81 »

Forgot to add the mighty Genetix to my epic favs. Whoops!
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 21:41
Jon the Impaler wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 20:29 It's a shame when something has been anticipated for 9 years and it then does nothing .I've been waiting 9 years to eradicate the Giants memory , luckily for the most part it's done it for me. Like I have said though , you can't please all the people all the time . I would rather the band go out on this than Giants ......and my thoughts on that one over time haven't got better .
I do think it's a better record than Giants, which didn't meet the standard I would have expected from the band coming after records like Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI. Dark Matters doesn't reach that standard either - and it certainly doesn't meet the level of expectations I had given that it's been almost a decade in the making - but songwriting-wise it clears the pitifully low bar set by Giants, even if in terms of musicianship it sadly remains the last time you got to hear the combination of Black/Burnel/Greenfield in action. It bears repeating, but Jet is sorely missed on Dark Matters - with each member of the definitive Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield that the band loses, the more the band loses part of its unique chemistry, identity and soul.
JJ has only just said that their chemistry is better than ever where they take the highs and lows together as a band and are close mates too.I think they have plenty of soul with a 47 year identity to their name, so it's probably stronger than ever because the media and the public think it's amazing that after all these decades they are still together who still get on so well, which is rare i think in the music industry at any point in time.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

laurie wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 20:24
Bear Cage wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 19:39 I’m still listening as an album and not skipping tracks, so nothing that disappointing. Least favoured track is Down, but it’s ok. Last Men on the Moon and particularly No Man’s Land stand out as truly impressive.

Overall I think it’s the best new release I’ve heard for a while, not quite up there with the Stranglers very best, but not far behind.
An ok album at best
To say its not far behind the Stranglers very best is surely a joke
No its not a joke, some feel it's up there and I agree, it's a different band now but I think it stands up to anything they have done,IMHO of course. Lt kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

I agree that nothing will ever compare to what MK1 had but Jet's retired now and the band in 2021 is how it is who are i think still writing the right sort of material and style of a song for the times in 2021 from a veteran band, i can't see what else they can do today,but that's just take on it.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 15 Sep 2021, 23:57, edited 2 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Palais81 wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 22:57 Dark Matters flows really well. That is why I keep playing the whole album rather than skipping tracks, a bit like the old days when all we had was vinyl. Also, another good indicator- I keep turning the volume up. So good to hear JJ's bass as it should sound (unlike many albums in the past) especially his playing at the end of Breathe. Anyway, as far as I am concerned , White Stallion joins my Stranglers epic favourites: Sewer, School Mam, Toiler, Walk on By, Relentless and...shhh La Folie
Therefore the wait has been worth it. Happy days indeed.
Sir great post, agree with all you say. Lt kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Palais81 wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 22:57 Dark Matters flows really well. That is why I keep playing the whole album rather than skipping tracks, a bit like the old days when all we had was vinyl. Also, another good indicator- I keep turning the volume up. So good to hear JJ's bass as it should sound (unlike many albums in the past) especially his playing at the end of Breathe. Anyway, as far as I am concerned , White Stallion joins my Stranglers epic favourites: Sewer, School Mam, Toiler, Walk on By, Relentless and...shhh La Folie
Therefore the wait has been worth it. Happy days indeed.
Yep agree too especially with the ending of Breathe like you say and White Stallion is right to join the classics too, but maybe not quite some of the Mk1's but still bloody good though.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 23:37 JJ has only just said that their chemistry is better than ever
In terms of the band members getting on with each other it may very well be, but that obviously was NOT what I was talking about.

Also, given how hot the mastering on the new album is, I'm not sure it's a good sign if someone has to keep turning it up, and JJ's bass sound on "White Stallion" and "No Man's Land" is a very weak approximation of that early bass sound that JJ is most known for. Christ, they got closer to it on Giants than they do on this.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Just comparing Last Men on the Moon to Mercury Rising from Giants amongst others.

Hmm, Jim is quite low in the mix isn't he? Whether it's the overall reverb or whatever messing with the clarity I don't know. I would have liked to have heard a different overall mix on Dark Matters. Drums up, rhythm guitar down (or thinned?) - just to see.
Let's Boogie
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

laurie wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 20:24
Bear Cage wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 19:39 I’m still listening as an album and not skipping tracks, so nothing that disappointing. Least favoured track is Down, but it’s ok. Last Men on the Moon and particularly No Man’s Land stand out as truly impressive.

Overall I think it’s the best new release I’ve heard for a while, not quite up there with the Stranglers very best, but not far behind.
An ok album at best
To say its not far behind the Stranglers very best is surely a joke
Nope, my opinion may change with time when the freshness wears off, but currently I thing DM is comfortably in their top 10 albums, but not top 5.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Rather than go into the songs ad nauseum, looking at it as a whole I think it is a great record. It is a huge improvement on Giants.
I think that the vocal delivery form Baz on some tracks is excellent and he seems to have matured as a a singer. Some innovative guitar work, some great bass lines and some of the keyboards are amongst Dave's best.

I'd really like to see a quick follow up of some sorts.
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 09:36 Rather than go into the songs ad nauseum, looking at it as a whole I think it is a great record. It is a huge improvement on Giants.
I think that the vocal delivery form Baz on some tracks is excellent and he seems to have matured as a a singer. Some innovative guitar work, some great bass lines and some of the keyboards are amongst Dave's best.

I'd really like to see a quick follow up of some sorts.
Sir I seem to agree with so much people say, so again great post, I think its Baz best Guitar and vocals, on Giants I think he was to loud in the mix, but his guitar on new album is sublime and his vocals fit perfectly, I think he knows his limitations and works to his strengths, I'm not slagging him off, but it's my perception, he's doing the really menacing and the sublime reflective vocals to, Breathe reminds me a bit of Barbera from Suite with the perfume part lyrics, he would be embarrassed but I think Baz is a big softy really? In a good way, obviously about someone very close to him? Or it just may be abstract, but that guitar bit at start gets in your head in a good way, I would say Baz has truly found his mark now, such a shame that it's going to be the final album? Or likely it will be,even the band can't say at the moment, they should just enjoy all the positive feedback from fans and others and I know they will be chuffed to say the least. Lt Kudu. :smt006
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

1. Water
2. The Last Men
3. Breathe
4. And If You Should See Dave
5. This Song
6. No Man’s Land
7. White Stallion