Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by Bear Cage »

Greatkudu wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:39
droopsnoot wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:40
Greatkudu wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:10

I can't speak for Matthew but I'm sure he's happy with the situation and it will get more people listening to the original, so it's a win win all round. Lt Kudu.
He did post on Facebook that he was happy with the agreement for the credits.
Well I don't do Facebook but thats what I thought, more people will listen to the original now, I know I did, and one of his fave bands used his song, so what's not to like. Lt Kudu.
Disciples have also got their own album due out, which I’ve ordered on the back of listening to them after This Song. No doubt a few others will too.
https://www.themeninblack.co.uk/forums/ ... =7&t=23679
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Palais81
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Palais81 »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:38 Not sure about some of the vocal effects now on DM tbh, almost entering Do You Believe by Cher territory.
I know what you mean , but only for a couple of seconds. Unlike the dodgy voice effects on the song Meninblack and Just Like Nothing on Earth. Both of these songs would have been better without the effects. They even did the effects live on their 81 tour..
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 00:01
toilerinblack wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 23:37 JJ has only just said that their chemistry is better than eve.,
In terms of the band members getting on with each other it may very well be, but that obviously was NOT what I was talking about.

Also, given how hot the mastering on the new album is, I'm not sure it's a good sign if someone has to keep turning it up, and JJ's bass sound on "White Stallion" and "No Man's Land" is a very weak approximation of that early bass sound that JJ is most known for. Christ, they got closer to it on Giants than they do on this.
No i can't agree with JJ's bass being weak in No Man's land or stallion at all...no way is it weak in my view.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Palais81 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 17:11
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:38 Not sure about some of the vocal effects now on DM tbh, almost entering Do You Believe by Cher territory.
I know what you mean , but only for a couple of seconds. Unlike the dodgy voice effects on the song Meninblack and Just Like Nothing on Earth. Both of these songs would have been better without the effects.
Nah... :grin: It's part of the MiB charm!

I'm not so enamoured with the production/mix on DM, especially the more full-on tracks. IMO Giants was better in that regard and I agree with Stan that the bass sound on Giants (on tracks like MR) was better. No big deal though.
Last edited by markorbit on 17 Sep 2021, 20:48, edited 2 times in total.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

markorbit wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 18:15
Palais81 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 17:11
I know what you mean , but only for a couple of seconds. Unlike the dodgy voice effects on the song Meninblack and Just Like Nothing on Earth. Both of these songs would have been better without the effects.
Nah... :grin: It's part of the MiB charm!

I'm not so enamoured withe the production/mix on DM, especially the more full-on tracks. IMO Giants was better and I agree with Stan that the bass sound on Giants (on tracks like MR) was better. No big deal though.
Yes your right it's no big deal for me either i like DM and that's all that matters to me anyway, those who like it great those who don't that's totally their choice ,we all hear music very differently obviously.For me the bass is not better on Giants and this album is by far a better album from them from every angle for me anyway,but again it's only my take on it each to their own .
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

Breathe is a real grower. Rest of the album is still going strong for me too.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

My one gripe with Dark Matters is the artwork - I love the Easter Island statues as a concept but I find the excessive colour and effects overkill.

I think "less is more" always works for The Stranglers and would've preferred something more like this:

dms.jpg
dms.jpg (46.59 KiB) Viewed 972 times
MiB81
The Raven
The Raven

Post by MiB81 »

Not bad, but I think I would have went for summit a wee bit more like this...

...I'm making lists of all the people I love,
and all the cunts that should fuck off...
airflamesred

Post by airflamesred »

Is that not a stock picture of the Eagle nebula?

Anyhow, I can see White Stallion as a set opener
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 14:20 My one gripe with Dark Matters is the artwork - I love the Easter Island statues as a concept but I find the excessive colour and effects overkill.

I think "less is more" always works for The Stranglers and would've preferred something more like this:

dms.jpg
Yep totally better.
I’m not keen on the artwork and would have preferred something more minimal with less colour, perhaps with different typography too.

Post by 8088 »

airflamesred wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 18:31 Is that not a stock picture of the Eagle nebula?

Anyhow, I can see White Stallion as a set opener
Could be, or the Carina - def not Triffid or Horsehead.

Post by 8088 »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 20:19
8088 wrote: 19 Sep 2021, 14:20 My one gripe with Dark Matters is the artwork - I love the Easter Island statues as a concept but I find the excessive colour and effects overkill.

dms.jpg
Yep totally better.
I’m not keen on the artwork and would have preferred something more minimal with less colour, perhaps with different typography too.