Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Re: Dark Matters - Second Thoughts

Post by Josh »

jetblacksdad wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 09:36 Rather than go into the songs ad nauseum, looking at it as a whole I think it is a great record. It is a huge improvement on Giants.
This, 100%
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 21:41
Jon the Impaler wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 20:29 It's a shame when something has been anticipated for 9 years and it then does nothing .I've been waiting 9 years to eradicate the Giants memory , luckily for the most part it's done it for me. Like I have said though , you can't please all the people all the time . I would rather the band go out on this than Giants ......and my thoughts on that one over time haven't got better .
I do think it's a better record than Giants, which didn't meet the standard I would have expected from the band coming after records like Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI. Dark Matters doesn't reach that standard either - and it certainly doesn't meet the level of expectations I had given that it's been almost a decade in the making - but songwriting-wise it clears the pitifully low bar set by Giants, even if in terms of musicianship it sadly remains the last time you got to hear the combination of Black/Burnel/Greenfield in action. It bears repeating, but Jet is sorely missed on Dark Matters - with each member of the definitive Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield that the band loses, the more the band loses part of its unique chemistry, identity and soul.
I think the problem (?) With this one is it makes no attempt to be like an old Stranglers sound , in the same way WIR was .NC and Suite all had moments of retro Stranglers , and I loved those for that , overall both were as good as we could expect at this stage of the bands career .......they are never going to be as creative or brilliant , or have idea's like those early days , it was a unique combination .They have sort of gone with similar themes of political observation on Water and White Stallion as Shah Shah , Vietnamerica, Bear Cage and it's nice to see that , it's a bit more imaginative than a song about driving around Belgium 😁. Said elsewhere , I like this one , it's not typical Stranglers though there are two too slow or accoustic for my liking , would say it's a 7/10 where you would give the the first 4 albums 9ish , NC and Suite something like 8 , in perspective Giants for me would be a 3-4, it's that bad imo .
I don't know with this one if it will grow more , or once the euphoria has died down it will go the way of the last Damned one and I will soon find it boring.....not a bad one , but just boring ( The Damned one that is ) . I would still rate Relentless as the best post Hugh song with maybe Time to Die second, Big Thing , Norfolk Coast , Spectre, Sinister , Coup, Still Life then the best on this Water or White Stallion. I really don't get the fuss about Breathe , slow and too long , almost begging to be accoustic or jazz.....must go wash my mouth out for uttering those two words .
All quiet ..........
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Jon the Impaler wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 15:28
StanInBlack wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 21:41
Jon the Impaler wrote: 15 Sep 2021, 20:29 It's a shame when something has been anticipated for 9 years and it then does nothing .I've been waiting 9 years to eradicate the Giants memory , luckily for the most part it's done it for me. Like I have said though , you can't please all the people all the time . I would rather the band go out on this than Giants ......and my thoughts on that one over time haven't got better .
I do think it's a better record than Giants, which didn't meet the standard I would have expected from the band coming after records like Norfolk Coast and Suite XVI. Dark Matters doesn't reach that standard either - and it certainly doesn't meet the level of expectations I had given that it's been almost a decade in the making - but songwriting-wise it clears the pitifully low bar set by Giants, even if in terms of musicianship it sadly remains the last time you got to hear the combination of Black/Burnel/Greenfield in action. It bears repeating, but Jet is sorely missed on Dark Matters - with each member of the definitive Black/Burnel/Cornwell/Greenfield that the band loses, the more the band loses part of its unique chemistry, identity and soul.
I think the problem (?) With this one is it makes no attempt to be like an old Stranglers sound , in the same way WIR was .NC and Suite all had moments of retro Stranglers , and I loved those for that , overall both were as good as we could expect at this stage of the bands career .......they are never going to be as creative or brilliant , or have idea's like those early days , it was a unique combination .They have sort of gone with similar themes of political observation on Water and White Stallion as Shah Shah , Vietnamerica, Bear Cage and it's nice to see that , it's a bit more imaginative than a song about driving around Belgium 😁. Said elsewhere , I like this one , it's not typical Stranglers though there are two too slow or accoustic for my liking , would say it's a 7/10 where you would give the the first 4 albums 9ish , NC and Suite something like 8 , in perspective Giants for me would be a 3-4, it's that bad imo .
I don't know with this one if it will grow more , or once the euphoria has died down it will go the way of the last Damned one and I will soon find it boring.....not a bad one , but just boring ( The Damned one that is ) . I would still rate Relentless as the best post Hugh song with maybe Time to Die second, Big Thing , Norfolk Coast , Spectre, Sinister , Coup, Still Life then the best on this Water or White Stallion. I really don't get the fuss about Breathe , slow and too long , almost begging to be accoustic or jazz.....must go wash my mouth out for uttering those two words .
There are a few songs that sound like the stranglers of old, certain elements but I'm glad they have just done what they wanted to, it's a brave move, but I still think it's a class album that will stand the test of time. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Put the album on again today and I think I've exhausted it as I pretty much skipped through every track - some of the songs are "fast burners" IMO. I'll give it time before I pick it up again.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yanders
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by Yanders »

I'm over this song. It will sound good live, but the bits the stranglers added aren't good, and bazs vocals grate after a few plays.

I don't know why they felt the need to tart about with it the way they did.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Yanders wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 09:55 I'm over this song. It will sound good live, but the bits the stranglers added aren't good, and bazs vocals grate after a few plays.

Because, compared to the original Disciples version, they’ve made it better and more Stranglers sounding. It’s not the best track on DM, but still very good.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Yanders wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 09:55 I'm over this song. It will sound good live, but the bits the stranglers added aren't good, and bazs vocals grate after a few plays.

Agreed.It should've been left as it was.I suppose it becomes a joint effort between the Stranglers and Seamarks this way instead of an out and out cover, which it still is.Full writing credit should've gone to Mathew and I would be a bit peeved if I were him.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Bear Cage wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 11:48

Because, compared to the original Disciples version, they’ve made it better and more Stranglers sounding. It’s not the best track on DM, but still very good.
I love the song but possibly my least favourite track on the new album, I must have mellowed as I prefer the softer tracks like Breathe, Baz showing his softer side, he usually Bisted and Twitter, joking. Lt Kudu :smt005
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:07

Agreed.It should've been left as it was.I suppose it becomes a joint effort between the Stranglers and Seamarks this way instead of an out and out cover, which it still is.Full writing credit should've gone to Mathew and I would be a bit peeved if I were him.
I can't speak for Matthew but I'm sure he's happy with the situation and it will get more people listening to the original, so it's a win win all round. Lt Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Greatkudu wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:10
Ruby wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:07

I can't speak for Matthew but I'm sure he's happy with the situation and it will get more people listening to the original, so it's a win win all round. Lt Kudu.
He did post on Facebook that he was happy with the agreement for the credits.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Not sure about some of the vocal effects now on DM tbh, almost entering Do You Believe by Cher territory.
Last edited by Arthur Streeb-Greebling on 17 Sep 2021, 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

droopsnoot wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:40
Greatkudu wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:10
Ruby wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 12:07 Agreed.It should've been left as it was.I suppose it becomes a joint effort between the Stranglers and Seamarks this way instead of an out and out cover, which it still is.Full writing credit should've gone to Mathew and I would be a bit peeved if I were him.
He did post on Facebook that he was happy with the agreement for the credits.
Well I don't do Facebook but thats what I thought, more people will listen to the original now, I know I did, and one of his fave bands used his song, so what's not to like. Lt Kudu.