Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Dark Matters - Initial Thoughts/Reviews

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:43 DM is not lagging yet, in spite of regular listening at the moment (even the family aren’t protesting too much, which is unusual) so I think it will hold up well in time It will be interesting (too me anyway) in a few years to see how much I listen to it (will it be like Heroes, AS and Dreamtime, which have slowly dropped in my pecking order).
Currently DM and S16 are definitely in my top 10, as is Norfolk Coast.
- B&W; Raven; MIB; Rattus.
- DM; S16; Heroes; Folie.
- Feline; Norfolk Coast.
- AS; Giants; CDG; Dreamtime.
- About Time, In The Night, 10.
- WIR.
intresting points of view from you.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

toilerinblack wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 18:48
Bear Cage wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 13:43 DM is not lagging yet, in spite of regular listening at the moment (even the family aren’t protesting too much, which is unusual) so I think it will hold up well in time It will be interesting (too me anyway) in a few years to see how much I listen to it (will it be like Heroes, AS and Dreamtime, which have slowly dropped in my pecking order).
- Feline; Norfolk Coast.
- WIR.
It’d be boring if we all liked the same,
I know a lot on here regard the first two albums as their best, and the first 10 as better than everything since, but I quite like things from across their history. Even their worst (WIR) has it’s redeeming qualities, and overall it’s ok (which is poor for the Stranglers).
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 18:57
- Feline; Norfolk Coast.
- WIR.
I know a lot on here regard the first two albums as their best, and the first 10 as better than everything since, but I quite like things from across their history. Even their worst (WIR) has it’s redeeming qualities, and overall it’s ok (which is poor for the Stranglers).
Exactly,if they wrote the same it would be boring agreed after all it is a buisness, it's their job and craft,they want as musicians to be creative and after 47 years how do you keep that buzz wanting to carry on? it cetainly in my opinion isn't more of the same,they've proved to be right with not the same formula and now within the charts others see it like that too and they are getting their right deserves.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 18:57
- Feline; Norfolk Coast.
- WIR.
Yes we all see and think differently which is a good thing i think overall.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 09:03
theraven1979 wrote: 17 Sep 2021, 08:31 Cos it's crap?

Jim
Greatkudu wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 21:22 I don't get this about Giants, being so bad
Well it's all opinion, I would say most of WIR is crap and most of Coup. Lt Kudu.
Well i think coup is crap but WIR does have some good tracks with Paul i have to say,even if i'm in the minority overall with WIR.But whatever both coup and WIR isn't in the same league of DM in the slightest for me.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

WiR is a good album. I'll be playing that more than DM in the future that's for sure

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Yukio!
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Yukio! »

theraven1979 wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 09:18 WiR is a good album. I'll be playing that more than DM in the future that's for sure

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
WIR starts off okay, peaks at Here then the rest is some of the worst stuff The Stranglers released IMO.
Josh
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Josh »

I like WIR too. Too early to rank the new album for me, though I'm still enjoying it.
Never say goodbye,
For we'll all be with you someday,
Fond adieus but never say goodbye
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yukio! wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 09:33 WIR starts off okay, peaks at Here then the rest is some of the worst stuff The Stranglers released IMO.
I kinda agree. Judging Written in Red solely in terms of post-Hugh output, it's a pretty decent record for the first 7 tracks and then it falls off a cliff.
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 10:46
Yukio! wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 09:33 WIR starts off okay, peaks at Here then the rest is some of the worst stuff The Stranglers released IMO.
I kinda agree. Judging Written in Red solely in terms of post-Hugh output, it's a pretty decent record for the first 7 tracks and then it falls off a cliff.
I would say Valley, In Heaven and In A While are all top tier,
I quite like Daddy's Riding The Range (everyone loves a 6/8 JJ bassline)
Here and Silver into Blue, possibly Wonderful Land are all fine and dandy but not favourites,
Blue Sky and Joy De Viva I'm pretty meh on.
Miss You and Summer in the City are poor.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

I like WiR more than About Time which is my least favourite.

Valley of the Birds, In a While and Wonderful Land are all fantastic. Shame the rest of the album isn't of the same standard but that seems to be the way the post-Hugh albums tend to go.
Let's Boogie
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

I may have said earlier that Baz's vocal stylings on No Man's Land reminded me of Christian Death. I've found examples of the vocal stylings I was thinking of if you're interested.

Malus Amor (strange sample based rant):
https://open.spotify.com/track/75wXiyTh ... 30fcf94c02

Kneel Down (this is one of the worst things they ever recorded, an absolutely abysmal track, but you can hear the vocal style at least)
https://open.spotify.com/track/2U13WFol ... c76d934367

Song of Songs (Sick Of Love) (here's a decent Christian Death track by way of apology for the last one)
https://open.spotify.com/track/4XuNb5yg ... dcb46c44c8
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"