JJ on Rockonteurs Podcast

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Re: JJ on Rockonteurs Podcast

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 21:32
8088 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 21:17 Alternatively, you could say with only one original member remaining they're now on a par with Hugh and few begrudge him playing Stranglers material.
You could, but the problem with that line of thinking is that Hugh Cornwell is not going out under the name of The Stranglers, because he recognises that what he does ISN'T The Stranglers (even though he's generally more recognisable as the voice of The Stranglers than anyone in the current line-up) - that's the point.
It's not a problem if you've long accepted that The Stranglers finished in all but name when Hugh left - so on that principle, I can easily accommodate there only being JJ left from the line up as there have been caveats to supporting them since 1990.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 21:42 It's not a problem if you've long accepted that The Stranglers finished in all but name when Hugh left - so on that principle, I can easily accommodate there only being JJ left from the line up as there have been caveats to supporting them since 1990.
The problem with that line of thinking is that up until recently those "caveats" have involved there being more than one original member in the band.

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 21:54
8088 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 21:42 It's not a problem if you've long accepted that The Stranglers finished in all but name when Hugh left - so on that principle, I can easily accommodate there only being JJ left from the line up as there have been caveats to supporting them since 1990.
The problem with that line of thinking is that up until recently those "caveats" have involved there being more than one original member in the band.
Not for me they haven't - and I'm only speaking for me.
STEVEh

Post by STEVEh »

StanInBlack wrote:
Stan if the Stranglers no longer float your boat then walk away. Keep your treasured memories of what you like and enjoy them instead of working your self up over the current line up etc

I have done the same with Hugh. I liked his solo stuff upto and including Beyond Elysian Fields but Hooverdam onwards does nothing for me. I find his music and live shows leaden and devoid of melody.

I take great pleasure in still listening to his work with the Stranglers and those early solo albums and listen to them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

STEVEh wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 23:25 Stan if the Stranglers no longer float your boat then walk away. Keep your treasured memories of what you like and enjoy them instead of working your self up over the current line up etc
While I won't be continuing to "follow" The Stranglers from this point onwards, I'm allowed to have an opinion on them in the same way as those that didn't like Paul Roberts did for 16 years, or those that relentlessly make a point of slagging off Hugh's solo work on here. I still feel there's plenty to talk about regarding the back catalogue.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 08:07 [

… I still feel there's plenty to talk about regarding the back catalogue.
There definitely is, as your excellent recent posts on old tracks in ‘The Songs’ sub forum show.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
cassini
Ugly
Ugly

Post by cassini »

I'd be very happy for them to continue as the stranglers and tour and put out new material if they feel like it. Jim is a terrific drummer, and I am sure the new keyboard player will honour Dave's legacy. Lets not beat ourselves up about this - we are still so fortunate to have this band in our lives!
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

cassini wrote: 13 Sep 2021, 13:45 I'd be very happy for them to continue as the stranglers and tour and put out new material if they feel like it. Jim is a terrific drummer, and I am sure the new keyboard player will honour Dave's legacy. Lets not beat ourselves up about this - we are still so fortunate to have this band in our lives!
This ⬆️
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

theraven1979 wrote: 12 Sep 2021, 16:24 Good interview. Sounds like JJ intends to continue the stranglers

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
I picked that up too. When he mentions Baz is 22 years a Strangler, I think that we must admit the lad has done his porridge. It is obvious that those two work extremely well together and, if they can keep up the quality, they should carry on and call it what the hell they like!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think even your most critical "fan" would agree it makes sense for JJ to continue to work with Baz. They could maybe do a JJ solo album and bring in other guest musicians or something. Possibilities are endless I guess

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 09:44 I think even your most critical "fan" would agree it makes sense for JJ to continue to work with Baz. They could maybe do a JJ solo album and bring in other guest musicians or something. Possibilities are endless I guess
I think it'd be great if - moving forwards - they continued as a duo and worked with a variety of other musicians under the name of JJ Burnel & Baz Warne or something. I'd have no problem with that - just don't call it The Stranglers because it's not.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 09:55
theraven1979 wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 09:44 I think even your most critical "fan" would agree it makes sense for JJ to continue to work with Baz. They could maybe do a JJ solo album and bring in other guest musicians or something. Possibilities are endless I guess
I think it'd be great if - moving forwards - they continued as a duo and worked with a variety of other musicians under the name of JJ Burnel & Baz Warne or something. I'd have no problem with that - just don't call it The Stranglers because it's not.
In your mind they’re not the Stranglers, but most seem to disagree. And as you seem to detest with a vengeance everything JJ and Baz have done for over a decade I think your “it'd be great if - moving forwards - they continued as a duo” is disingenuous.
JJ, Baz and Jim are The Stranglers, tragically Dave has passed, but they’ve just made a cracking album with him and are now going to tour. After this they can decide to continue as The Stranglers (which they are) or do something else, it is their prerogative. On the evidence of DM, many (including me) will hope they continue as The Stranglers.