Baz Poem...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Baz Poem...

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 22:42 Immense contribution? 4 albums in 21 years? I mean, he helped keep The Stranglers' brand going - albeit mostly as a live/nostalgia act - but outside of a couple of years where the band looked as if they may have had a fruitful second act, it's been pretty grim on the creative front.
Correct 4 new albums in 21 years agreed, but contribution suerly isn't just abut how many new albums you have under your belt,suerly contribution is judged on your all round effort and input into a band? On the creative front i think he's created and contributed bucket loads to this new album and of previous ones too.The band are more creative now with Baz especially in acoustic sessions as we have just seen where he plays harmonica too which is a very creative sound and vibe as no previous band member has done that before,without Baz's contribution they would all be very much still a JJ sounding band which there's nothing wrong with that but i feel baz's creativeness and input has been the difference post Paul for sure in my opinion many may disagree with that, Baz also i feel since taking over the vocals has brought the band back more to what they once were.On the whole i think the band are more creative now with him in it than without him in it,but that's just my one fans take on it ,each to their own as usual.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 23:42 baz's creativeness and input has been the difference post Paul for sure in my opinion many may disagree with that, Baz also i feel since taking over the vocals has brought the band back more to what they once were.On the whole i think the band are more creative now with him in it than without him in it
I pretty much disagree with all of the above, as the band particularly seemed to dry up AFTER Paul left and also Baz is the worst vocalist the band have ever had. I'd also disagree with this notion that he's brought the band "back more to what they once were", particularly in terms of creativity and relevance. I mean, sure, it was back to the four piece line-up, but it was still barely comparable to MKI in any other sense. With MKV, they don't resemble "what they once were" at all.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 23:42
StanInBlack wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 22:42 Immense contribution? 4 albums in 21 years? I mean, he helped keep The Stranglers' brand going - albeit mostly as a live/nostalgia act - but outside of a couple of years where the band looked as if they may have had a fruitful second act, it's been pretty grim on the creative front.
Correct 4 new albums in 21 years agreed, but contribution suerly isn't just abut how many new albums you have under your belt,suerly contribution is judged on your all round effort and input into a band? On the creative front i think he's created and contributed bucket loads to this new album and of previous ones too.The band are more creative now with Baz especially in acoustic sessions as we have just seen where he plays harmonica too which is a very creative sound and vibe as no previous band member has done that before,without Baz's contribution they would all be very much still a JJ sounding band which there's nothing wrong with that but i feel baz's creativeness and input has been the difference post Paul for sure in my opinion many may disagree with that, Baz also i feel since taking over the vocals has brought the band back more to what they once were.On the whole i think the band are more creative now with him in it than without him in it,but that's just my one fans take on it ,each to their own as usual.
I totally agree with you, Baz has been the difference to the band,to base his output on the number of Albums is pointless, they chose to tour at the expense of albums, they may have regrets about that? But its in past, the fact is Baz more or less brought the band back especially when he took over the vocals to a form that fans preferred, he wasn't trying to be Hugh but the four piece just worked better and I prefer his voice on the old songs as he sings them with respect and aggression, so Toiler in Blacks poem is a great tribute to Baz, as for his voice, his vocals are the best ever on the new album, Paul may have been a better technical singer but as I have said before, you could he the best singer but if your the wrong person or if your voice has the wrong tone for the music it won't work, old hat Pauls voice was just to deep for most of the Stranglers old material, I much prefer the tone of Mr Warnes voice to Paul and he bonds with JJ and has developed the songs with JJs lyrics, so respect and thanks to Baz is over due. Lt Kudu. :smt006
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 10:34 if your voice has the wrong tone for the music it won't work
I agree, and a great example of this was when Baz murdered "Tramp", but even when doing the very MKI stuff he often over-exaggerates the vocals to comedic levels. When Hugh sings "what when your face falls apart?" on the studio version of "Enough Time" it sounds perfectly desperate, whereas Baz sounds like a death metal vocalist which is totally inappropriate, and of course ruining "Always the Sun" night after night by insisiting on singing "who gets the job/of sucking my knob?", which is hardly "treating the song with respect" or whatever bollocks gets trotted out time and again about that (and besides, his voice doesn't even suit the song in the first place) ...
porkymeat
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by porkymeat »

I wonder if Baz will have the poem done as a tattoo.
I'll even let you drive my motorbike . . .
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

porkymeat wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 13:26 I wonder if Baz will have the poem done as a tattoo.
[/quot

He would deff love the Poem by the forums resident Poet Laureate, sorry Arthur :smt005 Lt Kudu.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 17:26
porkymeat wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 13:26 I wonder if Baz will have the poem done as a tattoo.
[/quot

He would deff love the Poem by the forums resident Poet Laureate, sorry Arthur :smt005 Lt Kudu.
Oooooooh do behave!
:wink:
gjinblack
Ugly
Ugly

Post by gjinblack »

There once was a blerk called Baz
Who decided a singer he was
He went down to the smoke
And this is no joke
He landed a job with The Stranglers

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

euromanc-ometh
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

gjinblack wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 21:46 There once was a blerk called Baz
Who decided a singer he was
He went down to the smoke
And this is no joke
He landed a job with The Stranglers

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
You aint no Coleridge bro innit. Lt Kudu :smt005
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 10:34
toilerinblack wrote: 04 Sep 2021, 23:42
I totally agree with you, Baz has been the difference to the band,to base his output on the number of Albums is pointless, they chose to tour at the expense of albums, they may have regrets about that? But its in past, the fact is Baz more or less brought the band back especially when he took over the vocals to a form that fans preferred, he wasn't trying to be Hugh but the four piece just worked better and I prefer his voice on the old songs as he sings them with respect and aggression, so Toiler in Blacks poem is a great tribute to Baz, as for his voice, his vocals are the best ever on the new album, Paul may have been a better technical singer but as I have said before, you could he the best singer but if your the wrong person or if your voice has the wrong tone for the music it won't work, old hat Pauls voice was just to deep for most of the Stranglers old material, I much prefer the tone of Mr Warnes voice to Paul and he bonds with JJ and has developed the songs with JJs lyrics, so respect and thanks to Baz is over due. Lt Kudu. :smt006
Thank you ,i agree the vocals we are hearing from Baz nowdays is some of his best along with JJ too and the two of them certainly are on the same wavelength and bring the out the best of each other that i haven't seen since JJ and Hugh no question about that in my opinion i never saw it like that when Paul was in the band quite the opposite i forgot that jj was in the band.Also on thinking Baz is their worst singer i couldn't disagree more on that front because i think especially right here right now on DM his vocals is the best it's ever been sounding bloody great to me and another important factor on his vocal front is that Baz's harmonising with JJ is very good and that never sounded that good or in tune together as it is now compared to when it was Paul and JJ.Baz will never be a Hugh nobody ever could but he does Hugh songs better than Paul did,now i'm not saying pauls a bad singer because he's not he's a really good singer whose a better one too,but for me it's Baz's vocals that suit the stranglers style better and he has in my view taken them back more to how they once were especially taking it back to a four piece again as it was with Hugh in it, the gigs are proof of that for me anyway.Baz has brought the rawness back who could see from the outside what was missing and where they were going wrong i feel who got JJ playing with the volume turned up again and the return of JJs bass sound again...no question about that.The band right now i think is the best post Hugh on the quality of the vocals,the quality of the music and the quality of their videos what more can this present line up do or give,but again it's just my opinion we all with respect think different and probably always will lol
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 10:59
Greatkudu wrote: 05 Sep 2021, 10:34 if your voice has the wrong tone for the music it won't work
I agree, and a great example of this was when Baz murdered "Tramp", but even when doing the very MKI stuff he often over-exaggerates the vocals to comedic levels. When Hugh sings "what when your face falls apart?" on the studio version of "Enough Time" it sounds perfectly desperate, whereas Baz sounds like a death metal vocalist which is totally inappropriate, and of course ruining "Always the Sun" night after night by insisiting on singing "who gets the job/of sucking my knob?", which is hardly "treating the song with respect" or whatever bollocks gets trotted out time and again about that (and besides, his voice doesn't even suit the song in the first place) ...
Yes your right nobody will ever be Hugh..nobody! But Baz does sing The Hugh songs better and his guitaring is just like Hughs that made it sound live more to how mk1 was where as John played it more different who improvised the songs to how they once sounded.So all round Baz has been a srtrangler whose been a good and a right addition to the band in my mind.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 18:54 But Baz does sing The Hugh songs better
Baz is at his "best" on the early MKI stuff that doesn't actually rely on actual singing. Anything he actually has to SING on... "Always the Sun", "Golden Brown", "Skin Deep" etc. falls flat on its arse a lot of the time. At least Paul could actually sing 'em - and sound pleasant while singing 'em too.