This Song

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: This Song

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

Surprised anyone hasn’t mentioned Dave’s church organ sounding bit in this song.
I absolutely love that bit and hope there’s more of this sound on the album and none of those plinky plonky & xylophone type sounds.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 17:03 Surprised anyone hasn’t mentioned Dave’s church organ sounding bit in this song.
I absolutely love that bit and hope there’s more of this sound on the album and none of those plinky plonky & xylophone type sounds.
Sir is it Dave playing that part or Louie? As they put a new verse in? So I'm wondering if it's Dave playing that Church Organ bit? Lt Kudu.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 17:24
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 17:03 Surprised anyone hasn’t mentioned Dave’s church organ sounding bit in this song.
Sir is it Dave playing that part or Louie? As they put a new verse in? So I'm wondering if it's Dave playing that Church Organ bit? Lt Kudu.

Good point, don’t know tbh but hope it is Dave but if not, Fidel Nicastro’s input is jolly good indeed.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 17:36

Good point, don’t know tbh but hope it is Dave but if not, Fidel Nicastro’s input is jolly good indeed.
To be honest Sir I think its Louie as the new verse was put in after Dave passed away I think? I may be wrong, like White Stallion, it has a basic Dave bit but Louie put extra keys on it and the Operatic bit. Lt Kudu.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Well, apart from me last week:
droopsnoot wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 18:11 I like it, I'm not sure about the change in the vocal style, and I think they shouldn't have left such a gap before the last word. But I really like the keyboard work in the talky bit in the middle.
Or did you miss it because I'm on your "foe" list? :)
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 16:37
I loved Boney M and the male in the band the late Bobby Ferrel didn't sing on the records it was the producer but Bobby sang live he was a dancer, as for ABBA a great pop band but a pointless waste of time making another album but it will sell shitloads, thing is Benny and Bjorn look the same now, the years have not been kind to them, I see Iron Maiden have a new album out soon or now? So a bit of competition? But I don't know how many on here like Iron Maiden, not my thing but a very talented Band obviously, like some of their stuff.Lt Kudu.
The Iron Maiden album was released last Friday, don’t have it and have no interest in hearing it, although the Samurai concept is pretty interesting, gave up listening to metal some time ago, but yes talented musicianship there. Would have thought it will chart quite well, they’ve really gone for special physical releases too. It’s anybody’s guess how well Dark Matters will do on the album charts. My guess is it will easily make the top 40, maybe even top 20 but won’t stick around for more than a week
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I think the promotion has been far better so far and it hasn't got an unpleasant cover so it should do better hopefully.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 17:51 To be honest Sir I think its Louie as the new verse was put in after Dave passed away I think? I may be wrong, like White Stallion, it has a basic Dave bit but Louie put extra keys on it and the Operatic bit. Lt Kudu.
It could well be a Dave keyboard snippet that was recorded for something and then transposed to fit into This Song?

Although I suspect it's 100% Louie Castrol GTX
parasiteinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by parasiteinblack »

Jake wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 18:40
Greatkudu wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 16:37
I loved Boney M and the male in the band the late Bobby Ferrel didn't sing on the records it was the producer but Bobby sang live he was a dancer, as for ABBA a great pop band but a pointless waste of time making another album but it will sell shitloads, thing is Benny and Bjorn look the same now, the years have not been kind to them, I see Iron Maiden have a new album out soon or now? So a bit of competition? But I don't know how many on here like Iron Maiden, not my thing but a very talented Band obviously, like some of their stuff.Lt Kudu.
The Iron Maiden album was released last Friday, don’t have it and have no interest in hearing it, although the Samurai concept is pretty interesting, gave up listening to metal some time ago, but yes talented musicianship there. Would have thought it will chart quite well, they’ve really gone for special physical releases too. It’s anybody’s guess how well Dark Matters will do on the album charts. My guess is it will easily make the top 40, maybe even top 20 but won’t stick around for more than a week
It's number one on the mid week chart, ahead of the massively hyped Drake album. I'd imagine that's mainly on the strength of pre-sales and that Drake will overtake by the time of the proper chart on Friday due to streams etc.
"I woke up on a good day, and the world was wonderful"
Jake
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Jake »

parasiteinblack wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 19:57

It's number one on the mid week chart, ahead of the massively hyped Drake album. I'd imagine that's mainly on the strength of pre-sales and that Drake will overtake by the time of the proper chart on Friday due to streams etc.

Iron Maiden seem to have had a fair few studio albums reach number one in the UK if memory serves. Sadly, I don’t think a Stranglers studio album has been in the top ten since Feline, off the top of my head.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 17:51
Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 17:36

To be honest Sir I think its Louie as the new verse was put in after Dave passed away I think? I may be wrong, like White Stallion, it has a basic Dave bit but Louie put extra keys on it and the Operatic bit. Lt Kudu.
Agreed i think you could be right here,like Louie has openly said about White Stallion that Dave put the basic keys down for it then Louie made it the full production that this song is,how much of just Daves key work we will get to hear from this track is unknown yet as we haven't heard the full track.So i wonder just how many tracks we will hear clearly just Daves work on.I understand that on certain track they probably have to add to it to get that final full and right version and Dave did do some just early basic demos to them.I'm hoping that we do get to hear alot of just Daves key work on many tracks,even though i think Louie has been a genius in his production work.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

droopsnoot wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 18:16
Well, apart from me last week:
droopsnoot wrote: 01 Sep 2021, 18:11 I like it, I'm not sure about the change in the vocal style, and I think they shouldn't have left such a gap before the last word. But I really like the keyboard work in the talky bit in the middle.
Or did you miss it because I'm on your "foe" list? :)
Soz missed your post but to be fair you did say keyboard work in talky bit and not the churchy organy bit in the talky bit.
Foe? Ignoring posts? :grin: Nah I’m not that sensitive but the rumour is that the ‘sensitive 6’ are still hanging around on the forum so there’ll always be some sensitive types to offend.
:grin: