If something's going to kill me...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

If something's going to kill me...

Post by droopsnoot »

Track chat now up: https://www.facebook.com/thestranglers/ ... 0259340236

I haven't listened to the preview that was on the Liz Kershaw show since it first appears, but this sounds a bit more "complete" to me. Presumably the brass is done on keyboards, though they might have mentioned it.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
The Man They Love To Hate

Re: If something's going to kill me...

Post by 8088 »

Just brilliant!

Love the song's genesis and development and the seed planted by JJ.

I did say at the time I interpreted it as a tribute to Dave...to much silence :lol:
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

This is easily the best of the tracks that I've heard from the new album so far, although listening to it again it's made me realise that - outside of Suite XVI - I'm just not into Baz's voice at all.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Louie on keys... channelling Dave. Not really getting the Kraftwerk nod... more like their own album Feline.
Let's Boogie
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Louie must be the 'new' keyboard player, right under our nose. JJ is throwing a red herring saying it is someone from a past tribute band.
Mathew S
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Mathew S »

It’s a real trumpet on the track. Nice touch with all the appropriate synth sounds too
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

Mathew S wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 12:53 It’s a real trumpet on the track.
Now that would have been an interesting thing for them to say in the video, and tell us who played it, or perhaps have a bit of footage of them recording it. I've been watching "Classic Albums" on Sky Arts, and I'd really like to see proper films of them recording stuff.

Not sure I like the way Baz sings "and I miss yer" instead of saying it properly for the song. Like all the rest of the preview stuff, I can't really tell whether that will annoy me until I've heard the full song.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
STEVEh

Post by STEVEh »

Noticed on You Tube amongst the video information it says this track is being released as a single next Friday 6th August

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

This one did get stuck in my head after listening to the Kershaw airing a few times. Likely will be one of the standouts of the album I reckon.

Hope they'll have a nice video to go with the single too
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I like and I am joining the criteque club now, my only slight concern about the album is that it will sound a bit disjointed, ie the tracks recorded in bits in bobs and long break between completing drum parts etc, obviously not the bands fault as they were in bits with the loss of Dave and they always will be as we all will, but with such a diverse range of styles and what we have heard so far, doesn't seem much cohesion, I guess we will only find out if it works, when we hear the album, sorry to be negative, I'm just expressing a view, but I do like all the tracks I have heard so far, and at least we know now the reason this song has drum machine or electronic pads, they wanted a kratwerk feel, and very touching Louie using keyboards that Dave would have used, but I like to think my slightly negative views are constructive? Lt Kudu :smt006

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 15:21 I like and I am joining the criteque club now, my only slight concern about the album is that it will sound a bit disjointed, ie the tracks recorded in bits in bobs and long break between completing drum parts etc, obviously not the bands fault as they were in bits with the loss of Dave and they always will be as we all will, but with such a diverse range of styles and what we have heard so far, doesn't seem much cohesion, I guess we will only find out if it works, when we hear the album, sorry to be negative, I'm just expressing a view, but I do like all the tracks I have heard so far, and at least we know now the reason this song has drum machine or electronic pads, they wanted a kratwerk feel, and very touching Louie using keyboards that Dave would have used, but I like to think my slightly negative views are constructive? Lt Kudu :smt006
I don't mind it being disjointed because the tracks that are straying from the usual template are the ones that I like :grin:

Post by 8088 »

Oh and I can almost guarantee the using Dave's keyboards reference means using emulators not the real thing.

It matters not because you can get all of those sounds out of freeware apps nowadays (possible exception being the PPG Wave.)