If something's going to kill me...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: If something's going to kill me...

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 13:46 From what I have seen I like all the films,I really admire the band for what they are doing, to continue without Dave is to be admired, was watching Paris 2014 Dvd, I was at that gig, great gig but saddened watching Dave and the reality that his smiling face and keyboard wizardry will never be seen again, but he will never be forgotten.Lt Kudu.
Yes i feel the same i was watching him in Australia 2020 where he was smiling and i thought i won't be seeing that from the one time genius ever again.But his music will always be there to listen to along with the vids to watch forever.In a way i think the band have got it right with their vids to DM with the band not appearing in any of them.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 18:04
evonx wrote: 02 Aug 2021, 17:42
Father Abraham was a bit odd though? And I think his beard was fake
The beard was real - Father Abraham (Piere Kartner) had dozens of chart hits here and wrote and produced dozens more. One of the big names in Dutch popular music. All very MOR or comedy.somgs though.
Yes thanks for that, he's written 1600 songs apparently? Could be warm up for the Stranglers? Or maybe not, i miss their novelty warm up acts.Lt Kudu.
blimey how many songs? lol.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

This is quite a long track for a single isn't it? Unless it's edited for radio play?
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

jason wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 22:21 This is quite a long track for a single isn't it? Unless it's edited for radio play?
A little over four minutes?
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

8088 wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 22:33
jason wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 22:21 This is quite a long track for a single isn't it? Unless it's edited for radio play?
A little over four minutes?
Ah not as long as I thought.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Thats fine for a single length time,look at Walk On By lol
I actually think if Baz was to write the songs and music it would be a more suited style for today's charts.Quite often he's adding bits with arrangements for the better i think to JJs written songs making them better.Look at the rectro he's added to this song and from the little i've heard so far but the added bits he's done again to White Stallion giving it the more disco touch for the better.The biggest proof for me of a right song that could of been a possible chart success again was a baz written one that i could never get my head around why it was never selected that i felt was a must single that never was is...........Relentless.But saying that we all love jj's songs that are good album tracks that are your typical stranglers songs the fans love,so do most really care about right songs for the singles charts anyway... i think not.The band today i think is still a very good album band and always will be.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 23:02 The biggest proof for me of a right song that could of been a possible chart success again was a baz written one that i could never get my head around why it was never selected that i felt was a must single that never was is...........Relentless.
Relentless is too long for a single, but didn't Baz say that they'd done a shortened version and turned up the bass with the intention of releasing it as a single? Much as I love the sound of it, I can't think that the bass needed turning up, but it would have been interesting to see how it went. It's another one, though, that sometimes doesn't come out well because of the vocal - I was watching the 2018 French TV gig the other night, and he's struggling to sing in that key, just as JJ struggles to do "Giants" live.
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

droopsnoot wrote:
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 23:02 The biggest proof for me of a right song that could of been a possible chart success again was a baz written one that i could never get my head around why it was never selected that i felt was a must single that never was is...........Relentless.
Relentless is too long for a single, but didn't Baz say that they'd done a shortened version and turned up the bass with the intention of releasing it as a single? Much as I love the sound of it, I can't think that the bass needed turning up, but it would have been interesting to see how it went. It's another one, though, that sometimes doesn't come out well because of the vocal - I was watching the 2018 French TV gig the other night, and he's struggling to sing in that key, just as JJ struggles to do "Giants" live.
Relentless is an album track through and through IMO. Not only too long but it's just a slow burn kind of song. It has a great longish intro and then builds from there.
A great album closer and wouldn't it be great if we got another one for this new album?
They nearly pulled it off on Giants too, but 15 Steps was spoiled because of weak lyrics and the fade out at the end...
I Hate You !
giants
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by giants »

superb song' but sadly I myself don't do downloads. if it was in the shops to buy at 99p I would go out and buy several copies.
I hope some radio stations really give it the airplay it deserves but again I doubt it.
I wonder if the radio stations and music mags have got promo copies of the album yet?

the charts are a thing of the past' No top of the pops' no British hit singles and albums chart positions book anymore.

if this is the final album' what a belter to go out with.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

toilerinblack wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 23:02 Thats fine for a single length time,look at Walk On By lol
I actually think if Baz was to write the songs and music it would be a more suited style for today's charts.Quite often he's adding bits with arrangements for the better i think to JJs written songs making them better.Look at the rectro he's added to this song and from the little i've heard so far but the added bits he's done again to White Stallion giving it the more disco touch for the better.The biggest proof for me of a right song that could of been a possible chart success again was a baz written one that i could never get my head around why it was never selected that i felt was a must single that never was is...........Relentless.But saying that we all love jj's songs that are good album tracks that are your typical stranglers songs the fans love,so do most really care about right songs for the singles charts anyway... i think not.The band today i think is still a very good album band and always will be.
There is a terrible danger when older bands (old men lets be ionest) try to "disco it up" for the kids. For a start, "the kids" don't talk about "disco" but the old men get together with a great idea to make it "groovy" and they run a risk of getting it wrong. And The Stranglers got it very badly wrong with Summer In The City didn't they?

To me, this single sounds quaint but very dated. The sound is very 80's B side Stranglers. Now, I don't mind that but I do not think that something akin to "In One Door" is gonna be 2021 smash hit style to take on Lizzo or Cardi B (yes, I know they're not trying to before some get hot under the collar but you get teh references I am sure)

Forget about chart success. If we all bought it on release date, it could go top 40 for one week. A chart success of sorts but, let's face it, it ain't!
Plus, if they wanted it to chart, why are they giving it away if you have bought the album?

Don't remember getting a free copy of Let me Down Easy cos I bought AS!

And yes, Relentless is a superb song Toiler!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jetblacksdad wrote:
toilerinblack wrote: 03 Aug 2021, 23:02 Thats fine for a single length time,look at Walk On By lol
There is a terrible danger when older bands (old men lets be ionest) try to "disco it up" for the kids. For a start, "the kids" don't talk about "disco" but the old men get together with a great idea to make it "groovy" and they run a risk of getting it wrong. And The Stranglers got it very badly wrong with Summer In The City didn't they?

To me, this single sounds quaint but very dated. The sound is very 80's B side Stranglers. Now, I don't mind that but I do not think that something akin to "In One Door" is gonna be 2021 smash hit style to take on Lizzo or Cardi B (yes, I know they're not trying to before some get hot under the collar but you get teh references I am sure)

Forget about chart success. If we all bought it on release date, it could go top 40 for one week. A chart success of sorts but, let's face it, it ain't!
Plus, if they wanted it to chart, why are they giving it away if you have bought the album?

Don't remember getting a free copy of Let me Down Easy cos I bought AS!

And yes, Relentless is a superb song Toiler!
I totally agree with everything you say here.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Me too apart from the hype on Relentless! :roll:

The purpose of the "single" is not to get a number 1 :lol: but to promote the album and I think it's a good choice. In fact it's the only choice IMO of the stuff I've heard so far.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"