White Stallion

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: White Stallion

Post by evonx »

Can someone explain to a non-drummer why Jet was so brilliant/unique - I don't get it?
His timing, phrasing and always coming up with the perfect part to accommodate the song are unique imho.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

evonx wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 23:00
Can someone explain to a non-drummer why Jet was so brilliant/unique - I don't get it?
His timing, phrasing and always coming up with the perfect part to accommodate the song are unique imho.
Must be going over my head then - all I hear is solid, simple rhythms that fit but are no better or worse than many other drummers.

I value Jet's character and presence - which is huge - in the band rather than his technical abilities.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 23:13
Must be going over my head then - all I hear is solid, simple rhythms that fit but are no better or worse than many other drummers.

I value Jet's character and presence - which is huge - in the band rather than his technical abilities.
Hi a few examples are Peasant, the beat is an odd time signature, to keep the precision of that beat requires a skill and discipline thst few drummers have, another Peaches, sounds simple but when you break it down and realise what he does with the hi hats again such a creative pattern and takes skill to come up with such an odd hi hat pattern, those are two examples, and dont let me mention Genetix :smt005 It's really a combination of his precise time keeping and creative patterns that worked for the song, one more I will mention is Duchess doubling up on hi hat and rolls on snare every other bar but also Tom hits on left tom every other bar before the rolls. Lt Kudu.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 11:49 Hi a few examples are Peasant, the beat is an odd time signature, to keep the precision of that beat requires a skill and discipline thst few drummers have, another Peaches, sounds simple but when you break it down and realise what he does with the hi hats again such a creative pattern and takes skill to come up with such an odd hi hat pattern, those are two examples, and dont let me mention Genetix :smt005 It's really a combination of his precise time keeping and creative patterns that worked for the song, one more I will mention is Duchess doubling up on hi hat and rolls on snare every other bar but also Tom hits on left tom every other bar before the rolls. Lt Kudu.
Thanks for the examples. I guess it's because I'm not a drummer the finer complexities go over my head plus I rarely ever focus on what a drummer's doing unless it's showy in an obvious way.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

8088 wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 12:06
Greatkudu wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 11:49 Hi a few examples are Peasant, the beat is an odd time signature, to keep the precision of that beat requires a skill and discipline thst few drummers have, another Peaches, sounds simple but when you break it down and realise what he does with the hi hats again such a creative pattern and takes skill to come up with such an odd hi hat pattern, those are two examples, and dont let me mention Genetix :smt005 It's really a combination of his precise time keeping and creative patterns that worked for the song, one more I will mention is Duchess doubling up on hi hat and rolls on snare every other bar but also Tom hits on left tom every other bar before the rolls. Lt Kudu.
Thanks for the examples. I guess it's because I'm not a drummer the finer complexities go over my head plus I rarely ever focus on what a drummer's doing unless it's showy in an obvious way.
That's the whole point, Jet was very understated, for instance as an example if you look at keith Moon from the Who most songs he was using every drum and cymbal as he was a showman, the only time Jet really got to show off was Genetix, promise I wasn't going to mention it, but that is a hard beat to learn, as you can't figure it out unless you watch Jet, luckily Hammersmith Apollo dvd in 2010,has shots of Jet playing it close up, so I slowed it down and finally figured what he was doing and I was more amazed. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

exactly...spot on.You said it the perfect part to accommodate the song amoungst alot of other things as well but yes well said.Jet's experiance as a Jaz drummer too has been invaluable to some of the stranglers songs too along the way i.e...Golden Brown.
If you listen to alot of the songs that start with Jet with the likes of Genetix,Hallow and Toiler and so many more of the years the list is endless,i think what jet and JJ had was special too especially as the drums and bass have to work to together to make the whole song work.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 17:31
exactly...spot on.You said it the perfect part to accommodate the song amoungst alot of other things as well but yes well said.Jet's experiance as a Jaz drummer too has been invaluable to some of the stranglers songs too along the way i.e...Golden Brown.
If you listen to alot of the songs that start with Jet with the likes of Genetix,Hallow and Toiler and so many more of the years the list is endless,i think what jet and JJ had was special too especially as the drums and bass have to work to together to make the whole song work.
Yes they locked in together, amazing as well considering the age difference but Jet had a young attitude, and the band wouldn't have made it without his determination and tenacity and also being a fantastic drummer and strong character. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 20:56
toilerinblack wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 17:31

Yes they locked in together, amazing as well considering the age difference but Jet had a young attitude, and the band wouldn't have made it without his determination and tenacity and also being a fantastic drummer and strong character. Lt Kudu.
yep right again lol without the determination and his wisdom along the way with having his ice cream van to get to gigs and his off licence for digs and somwhete to rehearse they would of been up s**t street without him in their band end off and we might never of heard of the stranglers.Jet not only was a bloody good drummer he had the wisdom and the know how in just how to sell this band and get them publicity,i think he was the clever one in the band, so the entity owes Jet big time for still being here in 2021.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

Can't compare Jet to Scabies. Impossible.
Both are the perfect drummers for their respective bands.

Pinch, who ultimately replaced Scabies for a longtime, did a grand job but did not have the chaos of Scabies. Even on record, Scabies manages to put drum fills in where there is just no room. He's a genius.

And Jet. Solid as a rock. His jazz background shouts our loud on Peasant for example, those rhythms, lord knows what time sugnature, but teh way teh whole band paly with that beat is a great example of why he works so well.

And less of the "Jet WAS great"

HE still fucking IS! :wink:
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 19:50 Can't compare Jet to Scabies. Impossible.
Both are the perfect drummers for their respective bands.

Pinch, who ultimately replaced Scabies for a longtime, did a grand job but did not have the chaos of Scabies. Even on record, Scabies manages to put drum fills in where there is just no room. He's a genius.

And Jet. Solid as a rock. His jazz background shouts our loud on Peasant for example, those rhythms, lord knows what time sugnature, but teh way teh whole band paly with that beat is a great example of why he works so well.

And less of the "Jet WAS great"

HE still fucking IS! :wink:
Yes Jet still is great and he has an amazing legacy of work.Lt Kudu.
gizzard
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by gizzard »

8088 wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 21:42 Can someone explain to a non-drummer why Jet was so brilliant/unique - I don't get it?
Because he started the band😎
''I THINK THE STRANGLERS ARE CRIMINALLY VULGAR, VIOLENT AND VORACIOUS, AND I OFTEN WONDER HOW THEY GET AWAY WITH IT.''
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

gizzard wrote:
8088 wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 21:42 Can someone explain to a non-drummer why Jet was so brilliant/unique - I don't get it?
Because he started the bandImage
Well Jet housed,fed and watered the band that would eventually become the Stranglers with him in it

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"