White Stallion

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: White Stallion

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 22:32 I remember Scabies once saying the only flare Jet Black has is on his trousers leg.Made me laugh.
Yes was funny, but two different styles, Jet would have been the wrong drummer for the Damned and vice Versa, Clem Burke was sacked by the Ramones after a few gigs when he filled in after they sacked Marky for his drinking, again different style and very few drummers would be able to keep up with the speed of the Ramones, they got faster and faster. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I rate Jet higher than Rat as a drummer. Also, Clem Burke in the Ramones? That'd be like getting Keith Moon to drum for '70s Fleetwood Mac. A total mismatch in my mind.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 22:54 I rate Jet higher than Rat as a drummer. Also, Clem Burke in the Ramones? That'd be like getting Keith Moon to drum for '70s Fleetwood Mac. A total mismatch in my mind.
Yes but its two different styles,the Punk new wave movement had so many good drummers. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think out of all the differing of opinions we have Jet will never be one of those. The guy was fucking on it from day one to the day he stepped down. Total respect to Jet

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 23:10 I think out of all the differing of opinions we have Jet will never be one of those. The guy was fucking on it from day one to the day he stepped down. Total respect to Jet

Jim

Totally agree, Jet was fantastic. Lt Kudu.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

theraven1979 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 23:10 I think out of all the differing of opinions we have Jet will never be one of those. The guy was fucking on it from day one to the day he stepped down. Total respect to Jet
Yeah, I fully agree with this. I think Jet had a unique/identifiable touch as a drummer that was part of The Stranglers unique sound, which is why I find it such a shame that he ended up using drum machines in the studio for a while. Although the parts he programmed are parts he would have played anyway, that crucial Jet feel is lost - although, this doesn't prevent me from enjoying the fuck out of Dreamtime etc. About Time and Giants aren't great records (About Time is better, IMO), but you can hear that it's Jet on the kit. It's his playing, his rhythm/fill choices, his feel and that's something they're going to lose going forward.

Of course, you gradually replace the elements that make a band unique and what do you have left? Just another band.
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 22:39 Yes but the Damned were very shambolic live years ago and not a tight well oiled machine like the Stranglers at their peak, but that was the appeal, there performance on whistle test in 1979 Is just fantastic
Yes I agree that they were shambolic live even when they were recording great albums like The Black Album or Strawberries. The Stranglers always maintained their ability to play well.
Let's Boogie
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 22:54 I rate Jet higher than Rat as a drummer. Also, Clem Burke in the Ramones? That'd be like getting Keith Moon to drum for '70s Fleetwood Mac. A total mismatch in my mind.
Agreed i rate Jet higher too,as for Clem i higher rate him above most drummers having seen him loads of times in the past.He was also great with Hugh too,I think Clem would be good enough in most bands and fast enough for sure too no question of that in my view.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Listen to Jet on the intro to Toiler on The Sea on all live. Amusing cos Hugh is in full twang, Dave is absolutely fantastic and JJ is giving it that wonderful bass. Yet above all that Jet is the one that shines, the solid fucking pounding drums and those rolls on the Toms. Seriously, go listen

Jim

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 19:57 Listen to Jet on the intro to Toiler on The Sea on all live. Amusing cos Hugh is in full twang, Dave is absolutely fantastic and JJ is giving it that wonderful bass. Yet above all that Jet is the one that shines, the solid fucking pounding drums and those rolls on the Toms. Seriously, go listen

Jim

Yes fantastic work on that song live, he's so tight like a human metrenome.Ive been playing alot of Jets beats recently or trying to as I set most of my kit up, when you try and play Jets beats you realise how good he was, some beats are quite simple but it's the feel he had, such a light touch for a big bloke, I just don't know how he still did full gigs in his seventies, an inspiration and very gifted drummer. Lt Kudu
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

theraven1979 wrote: 25 Jul 2021, 19:57 Listen to Jet on the intro to Toiler on The Sea on all live. Amusing cos Hugh is in full twang, Dave is absolutely fantastic and JJ is giving it that wonderful bass. Yet above all that Jet is the one that shines, the solid fucking pounding drums and those rolls on the Toms. Seriously, go listen

Jim

yep...i no what you what your saying because i've thought exactly that too over the years and i too would use toiler as the example.Jet in the '70s was amazing his pace his energy and keeping the band together and in time.. he was pure magical and electric!
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

Can someone explain to a non-drummer why Jet was so brilliant/unique - I don't get it?