White Stallion

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Re: White Stallion

Post by Jon the Impaler »

I like what I have heard of this song so far . Sounds very very promising.
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Agreed... Hugh's gonna have to bring out a blinder too now which he always does.Some say the production of 10 was over the top then there was White Stallion so again is over production really a bad thing? just all sounds bloody good to me.
White Stallion really would be a great swan song if this was to be their last album,a perfect last piece of work from Dave's last demo.
It would be a great and fitting end if it was to me, but obviously there are many who hope the continuation of the band will go on and on.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 10:35 Agreed... Hugh's gonna have to bring out a blinder too now which he always does.Some say the production of 10 was over the top then there was White Stallion so again is over production really a bad thing? just all sounds bloody good to me.
White Stallion really would be a great swan song if this was to be their last album,a perfect last piece of work from Dave's last demo.
It would be a great and fitting end if it was to me, but obviously there are many who hope the continuation of the band will go on and on.
Nothing wrong with big production if it enhances the song, 10 failed as RTB was not on the same page as most of the band, but with Louie they totally trust him, he even got a name check on Lowlands from the Dire Giants :smt005 joking of course, I really like Giants, it has a small appreciation society on here. Lt Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 11:19
Nothing wrong with big production if it enhances the song, 10 failed as RTB was not on the same page as most of the band, but with Louie they totally trust him, he even got a name check on Lowlands from the Dire Giants
Good point.The so called big production sound wasn't what the band really had in mind for 10 but in this instance they have requested it.Sounds ace to me.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Ruby wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 12:18
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 11:19
Nothing wrong with big production if it enhances the song, 10 failed as RTB was not on the same page as most of the band, but with Louie they totally trust him, he even got a name check on Lowlands from the Dire Giants
Good point.The so called big production sound wasn't what the band really had in mind for 10 but in this instance they have requested it.Sounds ace to me.
Yes it really does sound a classic, could be a defining song of late era Stranglers? But as SLF said, wait and see. :smt005 Lt Kudu.
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

I'm hoping for a Doktor Avalanche 12" remix :grin:
flintackles
SHAKESPEARO

Post by flintackles »

theraven1979 wrote:Encouraging although those operatic vocal stabs will probably get on me tits. Sounds like a recent Damned song but I can't put my finger on it.

Jim
Procrastination from Evil Spirits?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

flintackles wrote:
theraven1979 wrote:Encouraging although those operatic vocal stabs will probably get on me tits. Sounds like a recent Damned song but I can't put my finger on it.

Jim

Yeah posted the links earlier. Definitely similar

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 14:47
flintackles wrote:

Jim

Yeah posted the links earlier. Definitely similar

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Well their is a bit of an overlap with the Stranglers and The Damned, I think some Damned songs sound like the Stranglers especially since they bought in Keyboards as a permanent feature, the two bands are quite friendly and we're deff both odd ones out in the Punk movement, even though the Stranglers never say they were Punk, but they obviously had the aggression but were better musicians than most, of course the Damned are now great musicians,should be after so many years. Lt Kudu
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

Greatkudu wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 15:46of course the Damned are now great musicians,should be after so many years. Lt Kudu
To be fair they were always good musicians, more so from 1979 and especially 1980. I remember having a 'discussion' with a friend once about who was the best drummer between Rat Scabies & Jet Black... haha. I was rooting for Jet at the time but they are both fantastic and different from each other.
Let's Boogie
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

I remember Scabies once saying the only flare Jet Black has is on his trousers leg.Made me laugh.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

markorbit wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 22:23
Greatkudu wrote: 24 Jul 2021, 15:46of course the Damned are now great musicians,should be after so many years. Lt Kudu
To be fair they were always good musicians, more so from 1979 and especially 1980. I remember having a 'discussion' with a friend once about who was the best drummer between Rat Scabies & Jet Black... haha. I was rooting for Jet at the time but they are both fantastic and different from each other.
Yes but the Damned were very shambolic live years ago and not a tight well oiled machine like the Stranglers at their peak, but that was the appeal, there performance on whistle test in 1979 Is just fantastic,and of course yes both drummers great but different styles, I wish someone had a recording when Rat stepped in for Jet in 1992 or 1993 in Germany when Jet was taken ill with lung problems, apparently jj wasn't happy with his drumming and had to apologise to the audience? Rat had no time to practice,so maybe JJ was a bit harsh? But would love to hear that recording. Lt Kudu.