White Stallion

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: White Stallion

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 21:08 they are going out on a high going by this track alone.
Oh god, steady on here. I think you have a VERY different definition to "going out on a high" than I do. For me, "going out on a high" means something like "Down in the Sewer" closing Rattus Norvegicus, or "Too Precious" closing Dreamtime, or "Strange Little Girl" being the classic line-up's final single for EMI. This... would be the complete opposite of that.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I think if they had a proper opera singer on it it might add a bit of life to it rather than some very obvious keyboard stabs. such a shame

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Cells&Plasma »

theraven1979 wrote:I think if they had a proper opera singer on it it might add a bit of life to it rather than some very obvious keyboard stabs. such a shame

Jim

They could have asked that Welsh Bloke off the "Go Compare" Ads.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Cells&Plasma wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 22:02 They could have asked that Welsh Bloke off the "Go Compare" Ads.
Actually that would be a very Stranglers thing to do, given the people they've had guesting in the past! :lol:
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 21:50 Oh god, steady on here. I think you have a VERY different definition to "going out on a high" than I do. For me, "going out on a high" means something like "Down in the Sewer" closing Rattus Norvegicus, or "Too Precious" closing Dreamtime, or "Strange Little Girl" being the classic line-up's final single for EMI. This... would be the complete opposite of that.
I thought you were going to reserve judgement until you hear the whole track? And yet you now know this will constitute as going out on a low point for the band...
Frederik
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Frederik »

8088 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 14:20
theraven1979 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 13:38 "Louis put the operatic vocal in there" - Did he sing it?! :shock: :shock:

Jim
I'm betting it's a Kontakt sample pack.
Lifted from here :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-IlJMQMIU

Post by 8088 »

Frederik wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 22:39
8088 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 14:20
theraven1979 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 13:38 "Louis put the operatic vocal in there" - Did he sing it?! :shock: :shock:

Jim
I'm betting it's a Kontakt sample pack.
Lifted from here :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg-IlJMQMIU
Was Old Spice worn by The Anti-Christ in The Omen films?

Post by 8088 »

theraven1979 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 22:01 I think if they had a proper opera singer on it it might add a bit of life to it rather than some very obvious keyboard stabs. such a shame

Jim

Not obvious to "punters."
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 22:32 I thought you were going to reserve judgement until you hear the whole track? And yet you now know this will constitute as going out on a low point for the band...
In terms of this track and in and of itself, then yes, that's correct - as I've said before, I'm keen to hear the actual song behind the bombastic production first before writing it off entirely, but I'm still setting my expectations low. Toilerinblack was referring to the album as a whole - I quote: "if this is their last album they are going out on a high going by this track alone", and I disagree. This track may very well turn out to be decent, albeit nowhere near the quality of a "Down in the Sewer" or a "Too Precious" or even (insert the name of any track from Norfolk Coast or Suite XVI here), but my expectations for Dark Matters - if indeed it is their final album, and perhaps it should be - are anything but the band "going out on a high" ... there may well be a decent (if unspectacular) EP in there somewhere, but I suppose that would hinge on the remaining 3 songs being any cop.

Post by 8088 »

StanInBlack wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 22:48
8088 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 22:32 I thought you were going to reserve judgement until you hear the whole track? And yet you now know this will constitute as going out on a low point for the band...
In terms of this track and in and of itself, then yes, that's correct - as I've said before, I'm keen to hear the actual song behind the bombastic production first before writing it off entirely, but I'm still setting my expectations low. Toilerinblack was referring to the album as a whole - I quote: "if this is their last album they are going out on a high going by this track alone", and I disagree. This track may very well turn out to be decent, albeit nowhere near the quality of a "Down in the Sewer" or a "Too Precious" or even (insert the name of any track from Norfolk Coast or Suite XVI here), but my expectations for Dark Matters - if indeed it is their final album, and perhaps it should be - are anything but the band "going out on a high" ... there may well be a decent (if unspectacular) EP in there somewhere, but I suppose that would hinge on the remaining 3 songs being any cop.
You specifically quoted Toilerinblack's words, "they are going out on a high going by this track alone" and then compared it to Down In The Sewer etc so you weren't taking the whole album into account just White Stallion.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

8088 wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 22:55 you weren't taking the whole album into account just White Stallion.
:lol:

I think I would know the intention and meaning behind a post that I personally made and what I was and wasn't taking into account.

Of course, I was taking into account what I've heard of the material that will feature on Dark Matters (which is the majority of the material on the album at this point), plus my expectations - not my final judgement - of this track. As evidenced by the fact that I've said as much already.

Don't worry, I'm sure you'll get to know my ultimate thoughts on the matter once the album hits Spotify.
Mathew S
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Mathew S »

😀