Keys To The Future...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Keys To The Future...

Post by toilerinblack »

Well blow me down...If Something's Gonna kill me acoustic was a 10 out of 10.This version was brilliant better in my view than the album,far better.Bazes vocals was amazing and Louie played and fitted in well for me.The three of them was brilliant,i've always loved this bands acoustic versions.Some say Paul would of done better, well for me Baz was bang on the money he was perfect and so in tune to the song as well,very impressive to me all round.Well done to the three of them,i really enjoyed it.I so would love another full acoustic album from this band i much more prefer it.This is their way forwards afte after they hang up their dms i feel Baz and JJ doing shows like this one....
Yes baz on harmonica great touch to see and hear, who needs trumpets! This was their best version of any song for years for me.This version should of been the single version without a doubt and even possible chart success with it too.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Aug 2021, 18:57, edited 2 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 11:33 I do think that this is a good time to finish up The Stranglers but for new stuff to be released under a different name whilst still allowing them the right to play Stranglers songs at whatever shows might be done.
I completely agree. I'd have no problem with JJ & Baz performing as a duo and NOT calling it The Stranglers. It would free them up to play with a variety of new musicians and keep things fresh, and they could still play Stranglers songs.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:09
jetblacksdad wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 11:33 I do think that this is a good time to finish up The Stranglers but for new stuff to be released under a different name whilst still allowing them the right to play Stranglers songs at whatever shows might be done.
I completely agree. I'd have no problem with JJ & Baz performing as a duo and NOT calling it The Stranglers. It would free them up to play with a variety of new musicians and keep things fresh, and they could still play Stranglers songs.
Or, as they are The Stranglers, they continue to release and play under that moniker, instead of changing their name to satisfy those who constantly pine for a line-up that ceased to exist over 30 years ago, and struggle to say anything positive about The Stranglers of the last decade or so.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Arthur Streeb-Greebling
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Arthur Streeb-Greebling »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:09 I'd have no problem with JJ & Baz performing as a duo and NOT calling it The Stranglers
Cheers Stan, I’ve emailed JJ & Baz, I’m sure they’ll now be happy chappies hearing this news.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Arthur Streeb-Greebling wrote:
StanInBlack wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:09 I'd have no problem with JJ & Baz performing as a duo and NOT calling it The Stranglers
Cheers Stan, I’ve emailed JJ & Baz, I’m sure they’ll now be happy chappies hearing this news.
Did you tell the new keyboard player. The one with the "funny hair" Image

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:54 Or, as they are The Stranglers, they continue to release and play under that moniker, instead of changing their name to satisfy those who constantly pine for a line-up that ceased to exist over 30 years ago, and struggle to say anything positive about The Stranglers of the last decade or so.
The assumption you're making is that I "constantly pine" for a MKI reunion when it's not the case at all and it would quite literally be impossible anyway. It's true that I prefer Hugh's solo work to post-Hugh Stranglers (if only because I feel he's put out a larger quantity of higher quality albums), so I would have been against the idea of him rejoining the band to begin with. However, with Jet retiring and Dave sadly no longer with us it's not really an option is it?

Now, while The Stranglers may not have been AS GOOD after Hugh left, The Stranglers actually ceased to be - in my mind, anyway - after Dave died. One original member isn't The Stranglers, it's JJ Burnel & Friends and it doesn't matter how long Baz has been in the band either.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 19:48
Bear Cage wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:54 Or, as they are The Stranglers, they continue to release and play under that moniker, instead of changing their name to satisfy those who constantly pine for a line-up that ceased to exist over 30 years ago, and struggle to say anything positive about The Stranglers of the last decade or so.
The assumption you're making is that I "constantly pine" for a MKI reunion when it's not the case at all and it would quite literally be impossible anyway. It's true that I prefer Hugh's solo work to post-Hugh Stranglers (if only because I feel he's put out a larger quantity of higher quality albums), so I would have been against the idea of him rejoining the band to begin with. However, with Jet retiring and Dave sadly no longer with us it's not really an option is it?

Now, while The Stranglers may not have been AS GOOD after Hugh left, The Stranglers actually ceased to be - in my mind, anyway - after Dave died. One original member isn't The Stranglers, it's JJ Burnel & Friends and it doesn't matter how long Baz has been in the band either.
Yep again i agree with what you say,which sadly is why i won't be seeing them live again for me with jet gone and the sad Dave situation with just JJ left i won't be seeing them live in the future,but that's not to say i don't like what they are doing because i still do especially the beautiful if something's gonna kill me acoustic that they very nicely covered.I just think it's time to call it a day with the brand name and continue on if they wish to as musicians now in the own right and why not,but not as The Stranglers with just JJ left how can you call themselves that now?
Last edited by toilerinblack on 12 Aug 2021, 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

StanInBlack wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 18:09 I'd have no problem with JJ & Baz performing as a duo and NOT calling it The Stranglers. It would free them up to play with a variety of new musicians and keep things fresh, and they could still play Stranglers songs.
Baz already does this (as himself, not as The Stranglers), and will continue to do so 😊
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Is this why JJ and Baz set up their own company recently? Maybe that's the plan?

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

theraven1979 wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 20:43 Is this why JJ and Baz set up their own company recently? Maybe that's the plan?
Intriguingly this has disappeared from the records.. they are both still running Coursegood with Jet however :smile: If they have a separate company now it's unlisted - but I suspect there has been a change of plan..
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

I must admit after Dave passed, I thought It would be best to call it a day, but I have changed my view after hearing bits from the album, and my view is now, it's still the Stranglers but obviously with just one original member,Baz has been in the band since 2000 he is a Strangler through and through, a very talented man and he has the no bullshit Stranglers attitude which helps, what's the point in changing the name now? None, its still the Stranglers IMHO but obviously with a different lineup, as i said before Hugh may have written most of the songs after say the The Raven but JJ did alot of arranging of the song even if Hugh wrote most of the lyrics, what I loved when Baz took over the vocals was the return of JJ doing vocals to, and his voice has matured and is in good shape. Lt Kudu. :smt006
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 12 Aug 2021, 21:35 I must admit after Dave passed, I thought It would be best to call it a day, but I have changed my view after hearing bits from the album, and my view is now, it's still the Stranglers but obviously with just one original member,Baz has been in the band since 2000 he is a Strangler through and through, a very talented man and he has the no bullshit Stranglers attitude which helps, what's the point in changing the name now? None, its still the Stranglers IMHO but obviously with a different lineup, as i said before Hugh may have written most of the songs after say the The Raven but JJ did alot of arranging of the song even if Hugh wrote most of the lyrics, what I loved when Baz took over the vocals was the return of JJ doing vocals to, and his voice has matured and is in good shape. Lt Kudu. :smt006
yes true enough most of what you say here,Baz has had a good effect and a band kick up the arse which is what was needed and yes the return of JJ with his turned up bass was a good return too.For me up until the end of hugh it was the Hugh songs that stood out as far the better ones.Especially on 10 you could easily guess who wrote what and for me it was only the Hugh written and sung ones that stood out.That's why now this band cannot be what they once were ever again,but saying that JJ and his band have been good and different in their own right and fair play to them,but you have to ask why this band never be an mk1 again with all they once had.I too thought there was know way forwards now without dave but now think they can carry on even though we all know he can never be replaced.But for me the gigs have now gone and will just listen to their material only,because after dave that's it for me now on the live front.