Keys To The Future...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

The Man They Love To Hate

Keys To The Future...

Post by 8088 »

With The Stranglers including a cover on the next album and that cover being a song virtually unknown to most (and therefore, not serving the traditional purpose of a well known cover,) I interpret that as the band being open to external writing input.

With a new keyboard player this could be an opportunity to not only fulfil the needs of the tour but also allow the band to turn another corner without Dave if the keyboard player is also a songwriter and included as a full time member of the ongoing band.

I think this could be a great thing - someone who knows Stranglers material inside out who's also a songwriter could be a huge creative lift to the band and shift them up a gear - fresh ideas and another person writing will mean new material hot on the heels of Dark Matters.
Mart
Rats Rally

Re: Keys To The Future...

Post by Mart »

8088 wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 11:11 With The Stranglers including a cover on the next album and that cover being a song virtually unknown to most (and therefore, not serving the traditional purpose of a well known cover,) I interpret that as the band being open to external writing input.

With a new keyboard player this could be an opportunity to not only fulfil the needs of the tour but also allow the band to turn another corner without Dave if the keyboard player is also a songwriter and included as a full time member of the ongoing band.

I think this could be a great thing - someone who knows Stranglers material inside out who's also a songwriter could be a huge creative lift to the band and shift them up a gear - fresh ideas and another person writing will mean new material hot on the heels of Dark Matters.

Absolutely right, everything changes, something positive out of something so sad
When i rest my weary head after all my words are said
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I suspect the person in question will be from a known band and will have been involved in song writing. All assumptions of course.

Jim
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Post by aldinblack »

Well it would be remarkable if the band could evolve yet again into a "proper mark V", but let's see one step at a time I guess..
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

"evolve"
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

That's an interesting thought. I remember we once had a convo here about bands being like football teams where there would be no original member left eventually and it'd just be younger members coming in to carry the name forever. :grin:

Post by 8088 »

Cricklewood wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 13:43 That's an interesting thought. I remember we once had a convo here about bands being like football teams where there would be no original member left eventually and it'd just be younger members coming in to carry the name forever. :grin:
I'd never go as far as that - as long as JJ is there singing and with the right contribution from the other instruments it can conceivable still sound like classic Stranglers - no JJ and you've got something very different.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

As I understand it the keyboard player will be a touring member only? I would struggle beyond the farewell tour with another keyboard player, but it's the for the band to decide. Lt Kudu.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

The band have been "touring members only" for almost a decade now. I think if they put another album out after this with JJ, Baz etc then why not.

Jim

Greatkudu wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 14:31 As I understand it the keyboard player will be a touring member only? I would struggle beyond the farewell tour with another keyboard player, but it's the for the band to decide. Lt Kudu.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I still stand by my earlier thoughts that it ain't even The Stranglers anymore, only in name. It's JJ Burnel & Friends play the music of The Stranglers with the occasional new track so you can go for a piss.
airflamesred

Post by airflamesred »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 16:25 I still stand by my earlier thoughts that it ain't even The Stranglers anymore, only in name. It's JJ Burnel & Friends play the music of The Stranglers with the occasional new track so you can go for a piss.
Wait til Arthur gets wind of this.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 14:39 The band have been "touring members only" for almost a decade now. I think if they put another album out after this with JJ, Baz etc then why not.

Jim

Greatkudu wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 14:31 As I understand it the keyboard player will be a touring member only? I would struggle beyond the farewell tour with another keyboard player, but it's the for the band to decide. Lt Kudu.
Yes why not? But it will be very hard to accept another keyboard player on the album, the reason so many are looking forward to Dark Matters obvious it's been 9 years since last one, but also as its Dave's last recorded work, so it will mean something to fans, only time will tell of they record another album? Lt Kudu.