Keys To The Future...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Re: Keys To The Future...

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:53
toilerinblack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:50 they are still producing good material
:smt005 :smt005
Some material over the years post Hugh i have liked maybe not alot true,there were a few good tracks from WIR and a great album with NC and especially relentless,cant comment on the new album until it comes out.But yes they are a million miles away from what they once were with Hugh, but i think some credits due to some of what they have done for sure,but everybody to their own and i do agree with you but i just feel its good to be behind them after Dave and getting this album finished like they have i'm just so pleased so i can get to hear Daves last work.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:57
StanInBlack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:53
toilerinblack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:50 they are still producing good material
:smt005 :smt005
Some material over the years post Hugh i have liked maybe not alot true,there were a few good tracks from WIR and a great album with NC and especially relentless,cant comment on the new album until it comes out.But yes they are a million miles away from what they once were with Hugh, but i think some credits due to some of what they have done for sure,but everybody to their own and i do agree with you but i just feel its good to be behind them after Dave and getting this album finished like they have i'm just so pleased so i can get to hear Daves last work.
To be honest IMHO the only really bad albums they have produced are WIR and Coup, and I still think Giants is a good album, alot of variation in styles and rhythm,and some great drumming from Jet, a very underrated album I think, but other disagree, we will have to see what we all think when Dark Matters comes through our door in September. Lt Kudu.
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

I like every Stranglers album. I just think the second half of Written in Red is the weakest part of their recording career. There's still some great stuff on the rest of the album though.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jason wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 22:25 I like every Stranglers album. I just think the second half of Written in Red is the weakest part of their recording career. There's still some great stuff on the rest of the album though.
Yes still some good songs in WIR.Lt kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 22:52
jason wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 22:25 I like every Stranglers album. I just think the second half of Written in Red is the weakest part of their recording career. There's still some great stuff on the rest of the album though.
Yes there is some good tracks on WIR agreed, it might get seriously slated which i think is over the top because WIR does have a few very good tracks on it and Pauls vocals with an overall very good production side of things too .I think NC has some fantastic songs and especially the lyrics to alot of the tracks on that album,so again i say the stranglers post Hugh have produced good material.Can they reproduce the old stranglers we fell in love with? No never why? No Hugh end of.Hugh was the stranglers sound and Hugh also brought out the best in JJ who together were dynamite.But this stranglers band without him are good in their own right at what they do and i'm for one is really looking forward to DM in September.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 17 Jul 2021, 21:04, edited 6 times in total.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 23:56
Yes there is it might get seriously slated which i think is over the top because WIR does have a few very good tracks on it and Pauls vocals and the
overall production side of things to it is very good .I think NC has some fantastic songs and especially the lyrics to alot of the tracks on that album,so again i say the stranglers post Hugh have produced good material.Can they reproduce the old stranglers we fell in love with? No never why? No Hugh end of.Hugh was the stranglers sound and Hugh also brought out the best in JJ who together were dynamite.Its gone forever now,except Hugh alone can and does still do it alone.But this stranglers band without him are good in their own right at what they do which is different obviously because theres no Hugh.
Sir agree with all you say, let's just see what we all think of Dark Matters, the song I'm really looking forward to hearing is "White Stallion" and ode to JJs love of horses of course? :smt005 Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 00:00
toilerinblack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 23:56

Yes there is it might get seriously slated which i think is over the top because WIR does have a few very good tracks on it and Pauls vocals and the
overall production side of things to it is very good .I think NC has some fantastic songs and especially the lyrics to alot of the tracks on that album,so again i say the stranglers post Hugh have produced good material.Can they reproduce the old stranglers we fell in love with? No never why? No Hugh end of.Hugh was the stranglers sound and Hugh also brought out the best in JJ who together were dynamite.Its gone forever now,except Hugh alone can and does still do it alone.But this stranglers band without him are good in their own right at what they do which is different obviously because theres no Hugh.
Sir agree with all you say, let's just see what we all think of Dark Matters, the song I'm really looking forward to hearing is "White Stallion" and ode to JJs love of horses of course? :smt005 Lt Kudu.
Yes it sounds a good track but i suppose you should never judge a book by its cover so to speak,but yes that is one i'm waiting to hear too,i think its going to be a good album,well i hope so.
droopsnoot
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by droopsnoot »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:20 but Jim and Baz have more than the right after years of hard slogging at gigs and with several albums under their belt
Has Jim got several albums under his belt? In The Stranglers?
http://www.firenza.net - my homage to a seventies Vauxhall
Jon the Impaler
The Raven
The Raven

Post by Jon the Impaler »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 17:54
Greatkudu wrote:Baz has been in the band for 21 years now and has earned the right to be called a Strangler, Jim has been banging the skins since about 2012 I believe? So he has earned the right to be called a Strangler to.
It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. It's not how long you've been a band member for, but what you've done in that time.
Must have been the last time I saw them live . Jet was still playing live . Didn't go for a few years mainly due to risk of them playing 'that' thing live .
All quiet ..........
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

On the Jim front its more i was thinking that he has been with the band since what 2012 when he first started sharing with Jet i think which is close to about 9 years now and has many live recordings along with the historic ruby tour than new material albums under his belt.It is how it is now after five decades with different members in and out,i just think however good this album is or not its still overall good for their fans to still see them keep going together with at some point still being be able see them live with all the old favourites.They will be missed when the day does come around that they are not here any more with any new recordings to like or not like which will be a sad day or not being able to see them live anymore.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 18 Jul 2021, 19:13, edited 6 times in total.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

Yep, fully on board with you there. Even at their worst (WIR, 10) the Stranglers are still a good listen, and at their best they are unbeatable, and their last albums have been good, which is a promising omen for Dark Matters
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

8088 wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 11:11 With The Stranglers including a cover on the next album and that cover being a song virtually unknown to most (and therefore, not serving the traditional purpose of a well known cover,) I interpret that as the band being open to external writing input.

With a new keyboard player this could be an opportunity to not only fulfil the needs of the tour but also allow the band to turn another corner without Dave if the keyboard player is also a songwriter and included as a full time member of the ongoing band.

I think this could be a great thing - someone who knows Stranglers material inside out who's also a songwriter could be a huge creative lift to the band and shift them up a gear - fresh ideas and another person writing will mean new material hot on the heels of Dark Matters.
Spot on with why a tribute player is right to join the band i agree with you 100% which is what i was saying a year ago now,i'm just glad they have and yes that is why a tribute player would be best 1) he knows their material inside out why wouldn't you not want someone like that in the real band 2) who not only knows their music but enjoys playing stranglers material too and who also appreciates Dave's music as a fan like we do,it's not rocket science to me why they have thought that too.Also like you say it would be a bonus if this person was a songwriter too that would be the iceing on the cake moving forwards,three songwriters where the future could look very rosey.