Keys To The Future...

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: Keys To The Future...

Post by evonx »

I still stand by my earlier thoughts that it ain't even The Stranglers anymore, only in name. It's JJ Burnel & Friends play the music of The Stranglers with the occasional new track so you can go for a piss.
I was thinking they should name it "The Strangler". Love Baz, Jim and Arthurs mate but it is what it is isn't it?
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 16:25 I still stand by my earlier thoughts that it ain't even The Stranglers anymore, only in name. It's JJ Burnel & Friends play the music of The Stranglers with the occasional new track so you can go for a piss.
It's become a bit like the touring version of Boney M

Just hope it's a good album and that it finishes off nicely
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

jetblacksdad wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:08
StanInBlack wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 16:25 I still stand by my earlier thoughts that it ain't even The Stranglers anymore, only in name. It's JJ Burnel & Friends play the music of The Stranglers with the occasional new track so you can go for a piss.

I liked Boney M, I confess.There are some that consider the Stranglers as just the original four? Hugh chose to leave etc, so the others carried on, personally they have the right to still be called The Stranglers, Baz has been in the band for 21 years now and has earned the right to be called a Strangler, Jim has been banging the skins since about 2012 I believe? So he has earned the right to be called a Strangler to.Of course if JJ wasn't in the band then the credibility would be stretched, but as long as they are still good live and album is good, they are keeping the Stranglers going, fans have a choice to go or not to go.Its called freedom of choice. Personally if I can got to see them on farewell tour I will, but due to personal circumstances, I may not be able to,but will if I can, girlfriends come and go but the Stranglers have been part of my life since 1979,i will end the journey when they finally decide to hang up the custom DMs. Lt Kudu just back from Yamaha R1 safety check.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Greatkudu wrote:Baz has been in the band for 21 years now and has earned the right to be called a Strangler, Jim has been banging the skins since about 2012 I believe? So he has earned the right to be called a Strangler to.
It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. It's not how long you've been a band member for, but what you've done in that time.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 17:54
Greatkudu wrote:Baz has been in the band for 21 years now and has earned the right to be called a Strangler, Jim has been banging the skins since about 2012 I believe? So he has earned the right to be called a Strangler to.
It doesn't work that way, unfortunately. It's not how long you've been a band member for, but what you've done in that time.
OK well Baz has worked hard with the Band, of course we all know the best work was with Hugh, but Baz has written some good songs, what he lacks in one way he makes up for with his respect for the Stranglers and how Hughs guitar parts should be played and also he's a very nice bloke. Lt Kudu.
Ruby
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Ruby »

To me the Cure are the Cure with Robert Smith,UK Subs are the UK Subs with Charlie Harper.The Fall were always the Fall with Mark Smith despite God knows how many line up changes.it's in the eye of the beholder I suppose.Apart from the staunch fans people in general don't know who is in the Stranglers or was previously.I still think going without Dave is one change too far for this band but others may see it differently.There are no 'rules' as such.
Last edited by Ruby on 16 Jul 2021, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 16:39
jetblacksdad wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 10:08

I liked Boney M, I confess.There are some that consider the Stranglers as just the original four? Hugh chose to leave etc, so the others carried on, personally they have the right to still be called The Stranglers, Baz has been in the band for 21 years now and has earned the right to be called a Strangler, Jim has been banging the skins since about 2012 I believe? So he has earned the right to be called a Strangler to.Of course if JJ wasn't in the band then the credibility would be stretched, but as long as they are still good live and album is good, they are keeping the Stranglers going, fans have a choice to go or not to go.Its called freedom of choice. Personally if I can got to see them on farewell tour I will, but due to personal circumstances, I may not be able to,but will if I can, girlfriends come and go but the Stranglers have been part of my life since 1979,i will end the journey when they finally decide to hang up the custom DMs. Lt Kudu just back from Yamaha R1 safety check.
Well i think you've said it very well and as baz has now been in the band longer than Hugh i agree too that he has more than the right to be called a strangler and without him having been in the band all these years now i doubt their would still be a band going to be honest.We all know its about JJ and without him there's no stranglers for sure we all know that, but Jim and Baz have more than the right after years of hard slogging at gigs and with several albums under their belt are more than good strangler members for sure i think.Its up to individuals how they feel but i think they have both done well since being in the band, yes they will never be a MK1 but never the less baz has written some great material and has been a great stranglers guitarist,we all know that they can never be what they once were but i think its still very good news that so many are still behind them and support them still.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 16 Jul 2021, 19:43, edited 5 times in total.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

It’s the Stranglers, may not be the same line up and some may pine for earlier incantations, but it is The Stranglers.
Looking forward to the new album and tour, if disappointing I may decide not to see them any more, but that doesn’t stop it being the Stranglers, it’s just a different beast to what it used to be.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Bear Cage wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:30 It’s the Stranglers, may not be the same line up and some may pine for earlier incantations, but it is The Stranglers.
Looking forward to the new album and tour, if disappointing I may decide not to see them any more, but that doesn’t stop it being the Stranglers, it’s just a different beast to what it used to be.
exactly.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

I disagree.

The thing that gave The Stranglers such a distinct identity, musically and image-wise, was the end product of the particular combination of individuals that made the music they made their name with. The more you remove those individuals from the equation, the less "Stranglers" it becomes.

They got away with it when one member left (if "getting away with it" means getting dropped from your major label deal and shedding a large portion of their fanbase who didn't recognise it as The Stranglers anymore and making a series of records that only the hardcore bothered with), they were seriously pushing it when another member was forced to retire. When a third one sadly left us, well... it's just not The Stranglers anymore.

The likes of The Cure and The Fall operated in a way that doesn't relate at all to the way The Stranglers operated.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:43 I disagree.

The thing that gave The Stranglers such a distinct identity, musically and image-wise, was the end product of the particular combination of individuals that made the music they made their name with. The more you remove those individuals from the equation, the less "Stranglers" it becomes.

The likes of The Cure and The Fall operated in a way that doesn't relate at all to the way The Stranglers operated.
yes your right but those days are gone now so you either remember the band as they were which like you say is their music, style and personalities we fell in love with which can never be repeated again or matched.But even though they are now so different like you say from those days fans do still get the chance to still see them live with all the old favourites that everyone likes and go home again having had a great night out. For me those days are now gone after Dave but tha'ts just me as one fan, but they are still producing good material still which in itself is incredible after 5 decades to still be here playing to fans still in 2021.So its up to those to stay with them still or not.But yes i think you are right and can see where your coming from.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 16 Jul 2021, 20:06, edited 2 times in total.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

toilerinblack wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 19:50 they are still producing good material
:smt005 :smt005