The Lines preview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Lines preview

Post by Greatkudu »

theraven1979 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 12:23 Whilst this song as had a fair share of criticism it's also had gushing praise. I feel the criticism is no worse that the stick that was/is dished out to Miss You, Tonight or even Hugh songs like "So Sexual" and "Under Your Hat" they all got panned.

I guess the real measure of a great song is how many times you listen to it once it's been out. We'll see.

Jim
We all loved "So Sexual" :smt005 Lt Kudu.
ricam
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by ricam »

Ruby wrote:Hear, hear.Criticism is fine and we don't have to like whatever the band churns out just because it's the Stranglers.But a line has been crossed here, I feel.
I totally agree with this and the posts above. Criticism is expected and welcomed but its all turned a little toxic on here with some crossing the line from constructive criticism to abuse. It seems some are looking to slate the upcoming album before having a chance to listen to it in full. I get the feeling some members on here actually want the album to be a failure. It could well be but I will reserve judgement until I've heard the finished article.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

ricam wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 13:50
Ruby wrote:Hear, hear.Criticism is fine and we don't have to like whatever the band churns out just because it's the Stranglers.But a line has been crossed here, I feel.
I totally agree with this and the posts above. Criticism is expected and welcomed but its all turned a little toxic on here with some crossing the line from constructive criticism to abuse. It seems some are looking to slate the upcoming album before having a chance to listen to it in full. I get the feeling some members on here actually want the album to be a failure. It could well be but I will reserve judgement until I've heard the finished article.

Totally agree Sir, well said.Lt Kudu. :smt006
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

Agree. Think we all need to reserve judgement on the album until we've heard the full article.

I guess we're already doing that but good point well made

Jim

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

theraven1979 wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 15:20 Agree. Think we all need to reserve judgement on the album until we've heard the full article.
I guess we're already doing that but good point well made
Jim
Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
I'm not sure that hearing the whole album makes a single track of that album better (or worse). After the long gap of nearly 10 years since the last album release and after Dave's tragic death more or less high expectations have increased, also due to the fact it could be the final oeuvre of The Stranglers. Speculations and controversal discussions seem to be natural reactions. Everyone on this board wishes that Dark Matters will be a very fine or even an excellent album. Let's hope that at least one or two songs will fulfill the high expectations and we get some exceptional music pieces even in the context of the phenomenal work which this truly great band have created in their early years.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

BasiltheBrush wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 21:56 I just find it sad that at times these criticisms have been quite personal and not very nice.
100% agree with you. Not only have band members etc. been getting a tongue lashing, but also forum members who post in support of the band - which strikes me as a bit questionable as we're all supposed to be fans of The Stranglers on here.. :smt102
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

ricam wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 13:50

I agree 100% too,i reserve judgement until it has been released.From what i have heard so far i have been impressed with them, they've wrote a lovely tribute to Dave along with a tribute cd to the great man.They have gone on to finish the album under all whats gone on too, so like i have said many times on here before i have been impressed with Dark Matters and its overall production on the little i have heard so far.This album may or not be to many peoples likeing but i think credit to them all for what they have managed to do over this past year and may the stranglers continue on for some time to come yet.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Yanders wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 19:49 I think some decided ages ago that they weren't going to like the new album.
In my case, I didn't pre-order it because after Giants turned out to be such a steaming pile, I thought it safer to listen to it first before I bought it. While the album - obviously - hasn't been released yet, I've heard most of the material that's going to be on the album - either through live versions or what's come out so far in terms of recordings - and so far I ain't liking what I'm hearing. With that in mind, I'll still give the record a listen in full when it's released and lend an ear to any new tracks we haven't heard yet should they be revealed prior to the album release, but my expectations are very low, I'm expecting not to like it and I'm fairly confident I won't be buying it. However, if you like what you're hearing then fill your boots - as long as it's not MY time that's being wasted, it's all good.

As for people being critical of the new material in general, as Jim has said I've seen similar treatment doled out to various MKII tracks/albums and even Hugh's solo stuff. There's a guy on here that thinks "Mercury Rising" is one of the worst things to ever exist. Shit happens.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

sendwarrior wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 18:54 100% agree with you. Not only have band members etc. been getting a tongue lashing, but also forum members who post in support of the band - which strikes me as a bit questionable as we're all supposed to be fans of The Stranglers on here.. :smt102
Just because you're a fan of a band, it doesn't mean you have to automatically like everything that the band does. I'd find THAT far more questionable.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

100% agree with you. Not only have band members etc. been getting a tongue lashing, but also forum members who post in support of the band - which strikes me as a bit questionable as we're all supposed to be fans of The Stranglers on here.. :smt102
Just because you're a fan of a band, it doesn't mean you have to automatically like everything that the band does. I'd find THAT far more questionabl
Yes, I could be considered quite the enthusiastic Stranglers fan whilst I always made it clear that (for me) the work that really does it for me was made in 1977-1983. I enjoyed everything after that but also remained critical of them (found the later 80s records too slick, mk2 was fab live but the albums were a mix of fantastic tunes and boring filler, the lack of good material after the return to form Norfolk Coast etc. etc). Still cannot wait to see them live again and am looking forward to Dark Matters - I would love them to knock me off my feet with a fantastic album. And yes, I might skip "the Lines" 8)
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 21:28
sendwarrior wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 18:54 100% agree with you. Not only have band members etc. been getting a tongue lashing, but also forum members who post in support of the band - which strikes me as a bit questionable as we're all supposed to be fans of The Stranglers on here.. :smt102
Just because you're a fan of a band, it doesn't mean you have to automatically like everything that the band does. I'd find THAT far more questionable.
Same goes with Hugh but that seems to be forgotten in certain cases when desperate to slag the band off.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I don't think Hugh cares about current day Stranglers he's too busy making his own music.

You've also set off the "Hugh" alarm Bob :lol:

Jim
Bobinblack wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 09:05
StanInBlack wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 21:28
Same goes with Hugh but that seems to be forgotten in certain cases when desperate to slag the band off.
"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"