The Lines preview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Re: The Lines preview

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 18:05
BasiltheBrush wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 17:54 Everyone seems to think that 500 or so ideas means who have 500 or song actual songs.
Of course, there's always the point that if you're a creative person with that many ideas, it doesn't take you almost a decade to get your shit together.
Actually can take an age. The muse comes and goes.
I've written and recorded maybe 150 songs. But the last full song I could write was more than 5 years ago.
Personal circumstances mean that I couldn't get my shit together as you put it.

And sometimes, when you force it, shit songs come out! And you can also fool yourself that your songs are great! (see half of Giants........)
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

jetblacksdad wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 09:31 Actually can take an age. The muse comes and goes.
I've written and recorded maybe 150 songs. But the last full song I could write was more than 5 years ago.

And sometimes, when you force it, shit songs come out! And you can also fool yourself that your songs are great! (see half of Giants........)
Nearly same story here - do you have anything online? Always interested in what Stranglers fans make themselves.
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

8088 wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 10:43
jetblacksdad wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 09:31 Actually can take an age. The muse comes and goes.

Nearly same story here - do you have anything online? Always interested in what Stranglers fans make themselves.
https://open.spotify.com/artist/3YKtdqK ... l_branch=1

Band is Headcount
We were on Malicious Damage records. Ancestral home of KJ

https://soundcloud.com/headcount-1

And you?
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

jetblacksdad wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 11:11
https://open.spotify.com/artist/3YKtdqK ... l_branch=1

Band is Headcount
We were on Malicious Damage records. Ancestral home of KJ

https://soundcloud.com/headcount-1

And you?
Good stuff! Not really my cuppa but does appeal to my Therapy? liking side (which it did remind me of in parts) :grin:

Fave was Bleed - I liked the melodic counterpoints - also Red Mist with it's added synth pads.

Definitely hearing Killing Joke in there - even New Model Army and a bit of JJ singing attitude.

As such, don't think you'll like my stuff - my band demos were pre-internet and long gone - this is all instrumental although the Soundcloud demos were going to have vocals but never got round to it.

https://8088.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/waynesadler

https://www.youtube.com/user/retrotechnical/videos
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Indeed it does. So either they were exaggerating the amount of material they had on the go, or they'd actually started 500 songs (or thereabouts) and were unable to finish 'em. If you're really brimming with ideas and confidence, then it shouldn't take that long and nor - and I completely agree with this - should it be forced. Perhaps they didn't want to give off the impression that they were drying up, which is understandable.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

StanInBlack wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 21:28
sendwarrior wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 18:54 100% agree with you. Not only have band members etc. been getting a tongue lashing, but also forum members who post in support of the band - which strikes me as a bit questionable as we're all supposed to be fans of The Stranglers on here.. :smt102
Just because you're a fan of a band, it doesn't mean you have to automatically like everything that the band does. I'd find THAT far more questionable.
Nobody does. So your point is pointless! It's very questionable that when discussing The Stranglers from MKII to MKV, the usual 'not proper Stranglers' stuff comes out, over and over again, which is irrelevent. If you don't like the songs that's within your right, but if all you have to say is 'Everything's shit since Hugh left' (31 years ago!!) it gets somewhat tedious..
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

sendwarrior wrote: 19 Jul 2021, 14:13 if all you have to say is 'Everything's shit since Hugh left' (31 years ago!!) it gets somewhat tedious..
It's just as well that literally nobody has said that, then :smile: Everything? Nah. Most of it, perhaps.
Bobinblack
ManinBlack
ManinBlack

Post by Bobinblack »

ricam wrote: 18 Jul 2021, 13:50
Ruby wrote:Hear, hear.Criticism is fine and we don't have to like whatever the band churns out just because it's the Stranglers.But a line has been crossed here, I feel.
I totally agree with this and the posts above. Criticism is expected and welcomed but its all turned a little toxic on here with some crossing the line from constructive criticism to abuse. It seems some are looking to slate the upcoming album before having a chance to listen to it in full. I get the feeling some members on here actually want the album to be a failure. It could well be but I will reserve judgement until I've heard the finished article.

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk
8)

Really looking forward to the album, anything new by the band has a plus point already for me, I just hope I like it. Personally hope it doesn't 'fail', I assume you mean sales-wise, Ricam, but if JJ and Baz are happy with it then that's a good start. I'm happy they are still around, my world would be a lot duller without The Stranglers - and after all JJ and Baz have been through with the loss of Dave as well as the continuing health troubles Jet suffers - they deserve praise from my POV.
Think I'll go for a stroll in the trees.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Bobinblack wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 09:22
Ruby wrote:Hear, hear.Criticism is fine and we don't have to like whatever the band churns out just because it's the Stranglers.But a line has been crossed here, I feel.
I totally agree with this and the posts above. Criticism is expected and welcomed but its all turned a little toxic on here with some crossing the line from constructive criticism to abuse. It seems some are looking to slate the upcoming album before having a chance to listen to it in full. I get the feeling some members on here actually want the album to be a failure. It could well be but I will reserve judgement until I've heard the finished article.

8)

Really looking forward to the album, anything new by the band has a plus point already for me, I just hope I like it. Personally hope it doesn't 'fail', I assume you mean sales-wise, Ricam, but if JJ and Baz are happy with it then that's a good start. I'm happy they are still around, my world would be a lot duller without The Stranglers - and after all JJ and Baz have been through with the loss of Dave as well as the continuing health troubles Jet suffers - they deserve praise from my POV.
I agree Sir, we will have to wait and see, but if people don't like album, they should be constructive in their critique, not just say its shit, the band really care about this album, I hope it will be an album we can be proud of? I'm feeling positive. Lt Kudu. :smt006
theraven1979
Maninwhite
Maninwhite

Post by theraven1979 »

I'm in a similar headspace really. Possibly their last album and sadly their actual last album with Dave. Hope it's a good un

Jim
Bobinblack wrote: 20 Jul 2021, 09:22

8)

"I bathed in sun and walked in rain
It taught me how to laugh again"
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

I was a big fan of Norfolk Coast - loving almost all songs (which had not happened in a long long time as a stranglers follower) but was not that impressed by the for me disappointing mix of songs that became Suite and Giants I think I have only played half a dozen times. I liked Mercury Rising (controversial, I know) and Lowlands and Freedom but overall... mwah.

As said by others, this being the last album with involvement from Dave I am really looking forward to sitting down in a few months time, headphones on, a pint of bitter etc. And hopefully they blow me away with an amazing album. Having said that, The Lines is a poor mans In the End imho... they can do much better I am sure.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
jason
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by jason »

evonx wrote: 21 Jul 2021, 09:13 I was a big fan of Norfolk Coast - loving almost all songs (which had not happened in a long long time as a stranglers follower) but was not that impressed by the for me disappointing mix of songs that became Suite and Giants I think I have only played half a dozen times. I liked Mercury Rising (controversial, I know) and Lowlands and Freedom but overall... mwah.

As said by others, this being the last album with involvement from Dave I am really looking forward to sitting down in a few months time, headphones on, a pint of bitter etc. And hopefully they blow me away with an amazing album. Having said that, The Lines is a poor mans In the End imho... they can do much better I am sure.
I thought some of Norfolk Coast was a bit average. I wasn't overly impressed with Big Thing, Lost Control, Tucker, Sante and Mine all mine.