The Lines preview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Re: The Lines preview

Post by evonx »

this "Anger" track which they definately recorded
Burnel and Nicastro recorded it already 16 or so years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgmO4U47xSg
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by 8088 »

evonx wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 09:47

Not really "heavy" though is it - only in the cartoon sense?
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

It's heavy for stranglers. I can't think of anything else they've done that's heavier.

Post by 8088 »

Yanders wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 15:15 It's heavy for stranglers. I can't think of anything else they've done that's heavier.
5 minutes and Shut Up are heavier in my definition.
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

8088 wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 15:42
Yanders wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 15:15 It's heavy for stranglers. I can't think of anything else they've done that's heavier.
5 minutes and Shut Up are heavier in my definition.
Ah, my definition of heavy is more 'Iron Maiden support act around 1986'.

Post by 8088 »

Yanders wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 16:06 Ah, my definition of heavy is more 'Iron Maiden support act around 1986'.
Oh, it's definitely Metal flavoured but all the noiser Metal genres never pushed any "heavy" buttons for me - I'd call Velvet Underground at full tilt, Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music or MBV heavy.
Lafleur
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Lafleur »

8088 wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 11:55
evonx wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 09:47

Not really "heavy" though is it - only in the cartoon sense?
This is the original JJ version, not the 2018 or 2019 re-recorded and likely improved version with Baz, Dave, Jim and JJ. Of course I didn't hear the latter.
evonx
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by evonx »

This is the original JJ version, not the 2018 or 2019 re-recorded and likely improved version with Baz, Dave, Jim and JJ. Of course I didn't hear the latter.

You have 500 ideas and you rerecord an old track you wrote for a soundtrack? It's not Peaches 2002 but still ..

Having said that, I'd love to hear it in its new Stranglers version. It did not work for See Me Coming where there wasn't much difference between the Suite recording and the soundtrack recording. But who knows... Apparently they decided not to use it for Dark Matters but might see the light of day some other way. B sides don't exist much though haha.
--eric--
i was attracted by a night torchlight parade
and there i came
BasiltheBrush
Rats Rally

Post by BasiltheBrush »

Everyone seems to think that 500 or so ideas means who have 500 or song actual songs.

Very few ideas ever get to a full song or demo stage.....if recorded properly at all.

I wouldn’t be surprised if some of the planned songs had to scrapped as Dave was unable to complete....
I HATE YOU MORE THAN RADIOACTIVITYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

BasiltheBrush wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 17:54 Everyone seems to think that 500 or so ideas means who have 500 or song actual songs.
Not at all, I think people think that 500 ideas means 500 ideas or whatever overinflated number they came up with. The main point is that they've been giving off the impression that they're overflowing with creativity and the rapidly mounting evidence is suggesting otherwise.

Of course, there's always the point that if you're a creative person with that many ideas, it doesn't take you almost a decade to get your shit together.
BasiltheBrush
Rats Rally

Post by BasiltheBrush »

Fair do’s, but I’d hardly call it rapidly mounting evidence just because a handful of people don’t like what they’ve heard so far...

It’s all a matter of personal taste at the end of the day. Some will love, some will hate.

Not having a dig at you Stan, far from it, but I am shocked by the amount of negativity on here recently... it’s almost like some want to write the album off regardless of how good or bad it is.

It feels like many are deliberately looking for things that are wrong just so that they can have a go at the band. It was disappointing to see Louie get roasted on here. He’s been a key member of the crew and back room staff for over 20 years. I thought some of the comments were quite uncalled for.

Let’s face it, the music has moved on, aged and changed....it’s never going to be like it was pre 1990. Some people seem not to be able to get over that fact...

Given everything that the band has had to go through these past two years I would have thought everyone should get behind them regardless of what they’ve been able to put out.

Must have been so hard without Dave
I HATE YOU MORE THAN RADIOACTIVITYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
Yanders

Post by Yanders »

I think some decided ages ago that they weren't going to like the new album.

But the idea that everybody has to be supportive/get behind tracks they don't like is madness when no one is saying that of anything else they've produced. Why is this album so delicate?

If we're arent here to pontificate about their music, what else are we going to talk about?