The Lines preview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

aldinblack
The Raven
The Raven

Re: The Lines preview

Post by aldinblack »

theraven1979 wrote:I think this is a problem with the band at the moment. There's no quality control. I know I've banged on about this before but I really think a similar situation should've occurred like Dreamtime and Aural Sculpture where the producer told them to go away and get better songs.

I'd have liked them to have worked with a new producer. Let's freshen things up a bit.

Jim
8088 wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 16:56
STEVEh wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 16:51 I could well imagine a great piano backing track and solo that would turn this into a Strange Little Girl type track.
This where a good producer is needed to say "nice start but you need to work on it some more" or veto/bonus track it if it's delivered as a fait accompli.
"go away and get better songs"

JJ comes back 10 years later..
"I've got about 150 ideas.."
I Hate You !
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

aldinblack wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 20:07 "go away and get better songs"

JJ comes back 10 years later..
"I've got about 150 ideas.."
Producer: "I've got just the one idea, how about we don't use any of 'em!" :lol:
STEVEh
The Man They Love To Hate

Post by STEVEh »

jason wrote:A lot people seem to really like this in the comments on other sites. Maybe we are just the grumpy hard to please hardcore fans!
I’m not saying I dislike it but it just doesn’t do enough- if that makes sense. I think the fact people think it’s only a clip we have heard so far says it all. There is a better song waiting to get out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
markorbit
Ugly
Ugly

Post by markorbit »

It's short by design and works that way. However, I was hoping for more meat on all of the 11 album tracks.
Let's Boogie
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

StanInBlack wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 20:07
I thought the production on Suite XVI was even better than that on Norfolk Coast and that was done by Louie, but on those records they seemed to have plenty of decent material to bring to the table. Of course, all the best production in the world won't cover for poor songs - you can't polish a turd, as they say - but it can make a good song incredible. I've not heard any good songs come out of The Stranglers' camp for a while, though. The songwriting naturally took a HUGE knock when Hugh left and took his voice and songwriting nous with him, but in terms of The Stranglers post-Hugh history the songwriting once more took a knock when Paul left.
When you say " a while" what do you really mean? It's all been a while yet we have had little in the way of new to hear. If you look at the last three albums there has been some good stuff, not so much Giants, but you still have to give credit to Freedom for example. That and Relentless, NC and maybe one or two more that stand up against the Mk1 stuff. Personally I think the last two MK1 albums were patchy.

The snippet of PayDay sounds promising, Dave is great (even if nostalgia drives me a bit).
The Lines might work in the contect of the album

Lets see
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

jetblacksdad wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 09:42 When you say " a while" what do you really mean?
15 years. That's longer than the time it took from the release of Rattus Norvegicus up to the release of 10.
Cricklewood

Post by Cricklewood »

markorbit wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 23:54 It's short by design and works that way. However, I was hoping for more meat on all of the 11 album tracks.

Yep by design it's meant to be a short, little "whimsical" number. Whether it was a good choice to make a video for a quasi-Youtube promotional single, that prob baffles me the most. I'm inclined to believe in an album context however it would be okay as that cute little acoustic number.
adeinblack
Rats Rally

Post by adeinblack »

It is not really very good is it. Would be alright if they had released about 20 tracks. What happened to the song Sisterhood? that must have been worse I suppose.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

toilerinblack wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 18:28
STEVEh wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 16:51 The track has good intentions with it acoustic strum and lyrics that many will identify with and in its way is a nice little song. However, it is too short and doesn't go anywhere. It ended just when I thought it would carry on and go off in another direction.

Maybe another line would be "this line is for where Dave's solo would go.". This track I think captures what the band will be like without Dave. I could well imagine a great piano backing track and solo that would turn this into a Strange Little Girl type track.

It's dissapointing that this is one of eleven tracks on an album nine years in the making.
To be fair we have only heard a one minute odd preview and not the full songs worth yet,so we all don't know in what direction it goes maybe for the better or not.Does this capture the band how it will sound without dave? we don't know the answer to that either yet.For sure hes irreplaceable for nearly everyone but this is just one track like this i'm guessing about and without Dave they will still be a full sounding band with the keys filler but just not the same without the Hammond Hero for sure,a band that will never sound quite the same again,but never the less will still play well live.

Post by 8088 »

toilerinblack wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 20:35 To be fair we have only heard a one minute odd preview and not the full songs worth yet
For the 3rd time, it's the full track.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

The direction the band are now going in their more mature years now with whatever type of songs they want to sing about and release is up to them at the end of the day,you either go with the flow or you don't, that's it in a nutshell really.I think they are still quality musicians who can still write a nice song.For me on the live front now its all about just seeing Hugh,but everybody to their own.
Last edited by toilerinblack on 14 Jul 2021, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

8088 wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 20:50
toilerinblack wrote: 14 Jul 2021, 20:35 To be fair we have only heard a one minute odd preview and not the full songs worth yet
For the 3rd time, it's the full track.
I know that it got posted by mistake.