The Lines preview

JJ Burnel, ...., Baz Warne, Jim Macaulay.

Moderator: StanInBlack

Cells&Plasma
The Raven
The Raven

Re: The Lines preview

Post by Cells&Plasma »

jason wrote:Yeah I must admit I thought for a second it was JJ but no it's got to be Baz!
I thought JJ too...Hope Jim does some backing Vocal's on Matt's Song.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

I think The Lines is the band in very melancholic mood post the tragic loss of Dave, putting some of their raw feelings down in music, then leaving them as thus rather than diffusing through multiple rehashes, re-recordings, overdubs and production (which I think would have lost the raw delicacy of the performance)
It will be contrasted on the album by other totally different feel songs (as have been premiered live) and seems to me as a good side 1 closer (for those of us who still think of albums that way).
Everything I’ve heard so far feels me with confidence that Dark Matters will be at least as good as the bands last few albums (can’t say recent), and maybe better, which is no mean feat.
Last edited by Bear Cage on 11 Jul 2021, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
Mathew S
VERSATRAN SERIES F

Post by Mathew S »

It is Baz on vocals.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

Bear Cage wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 11:50 I think The Lines is the band in very melancholic mood post the tragic loss of Dave, putting some of their raw feelings down in music, then leaving them as thus rather than diffusing through multiple rehashes, re-recordings, overdubs and production (which I think would have lost the raw delicacy of the performance)
It will be contrasted on the album by other totally different feel songs (as have been premiered live) and seems to me as a good side 1 closer (for those of us who still think of albums that way).
Everything I’ve heard so far feels me with confidence that Dark Matters will be at least as good as the bands last few albums (can’t say recent), and maybe better, which is no mean feat.
Totally agree Sir, the best post for along time on this subject and album. Well said. Lt Kudu.
toilerinblack
BLUE SISTER
BLUE SISTER

Post by toilerinblack »

Greatkudu wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 12:43
Bear Cage wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 11:50 I think The Lines is the band in very melancholic mood post the tragic loss of Dave, putting some of their raw feelings down in music, then leaving them as thus rather than diffusing through multiple rehashes, re-recordings, overdubs and production (which I think would have lost the raw delicacy of the performance)
It will be contrasted on the album by other totally different feel songs (as have been premiered live) and seems to me as a good side 1 closer (for thoof us who still think of albums that way).
Totally agree Sir, the best post for along time on this subject and album. Well said. Lt Kudu.
here here not a truer word spoken..summed up very well by bear cage.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

parasiteinblack wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 10:16 Do we all agree that this is Baz singing?
I can't believe the whole discussion on facebook kicking off with people adamant that it's JJ, it sounds nothing like him!
Agreed. They obviously have very different voices, and it's bizarre that any confusion has arisen over this. To be fair, though, it does sound like a song that JJ wrote the lyrics and melody line for.
StanInBlack
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by StanInBlack »

Bear Cage wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 11:50 Everything I’ve heard so far feels me with confidence that Dark Matters will be at least as good as the bands last few albums (can’t say recent), and maybe better, which is no mean feat.
Interesting.

So far I've heard nothing as good as any track on Norfolk Coast or Suite XVI, certainly nothing in the same league as "In the End", and not even anything on the same level as "Heaven or Hell", "Face", "Valley of the Birds" or any MKII highlight you could care to name.

I really, really would have loved for this record to be great after the debacle of Giants, but at this stage I'm beginning to think Faecal Matters might be a more apt title for the upcoming record, although I suppose they've got a mere 4 further songs to change my mind. They'd have to be something quite spectacular too.
Greatkudu
Man Of The Earth
Man Of The Earth

Post by Greatkudu »

StanInBlack wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 15:58
Bear Cage wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 11:50 Everything I’ve heard so far feels me with confidence that Dark Matters will be at least as good as the bands last few albums (can’t say recent), and maybe better, which is no mean feat.
Interesting.

So far I've heard nothing as good as any track on Norfolk Coast or Suite XVI, certainly nothing in the same league as "In the End", and not even anything on the same level as "Heaven or Hell", "Face", "Valley of the Birds" or any MKII highlight you could care to name.

I really, really would have loved for this record to be great after the debacle of Giants, but at this stage I'm beginning to think Faecal Matters might be a more apt title for the upcoming record, although I suppose they've got a mere 4 further songs to change my mind. They'd have to be something quite spectacular too.
Very harsh comments. Lt Kudu.
Bear Cage
Ugly
Ugly

Post by Bear Cage »

StanInBlack wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 15:58
Interesting.

I disagree, but I like Giants, still regularly listen to and enjoy it (when I stated ‘can’t say recent’ in my last post I was referring to the time since last album, not that I didn’t rate it highly). But it’d be sad if we all liked the same stuff, each to their own and all that…
Then I got tired of counting all of these blessings, and then I just got tired.
sendwarrior
Rats Rally

Post by sendwarrior »

Bear Cage (forum member, not song!) is closest so far to the story behind The Lines 🙂

It was written by JJ last summer, while he was reflecting upon his life and his advancing age, following the tragic loss of Dave 💔

It's the song I've most been looking forward to hearing upon completion. Very personal to JJ obviously, both melodically and lyrically. My only criticism is that I'd have preferred them to release a recording with JJ singing it, but I understand the meaning of it completely and I can relate to it very much 🖤

Some people are seeing it as a sad song. I don't think it is - the last lines are very positive and uplifting, where he praises the lines made by love and happiness above all else 🥰

Yes they may have recorded it with Baz on vocals, but it's 100% a JJ song, hence JJ gets the plaudits 😊
🖤 UNBROKEN 🖤
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

It's rather twee, cheesy but well intentioned.

At least it's short!
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+
jetblacksdad
Ugly
Ugly

Post by jetblacksdad »

jason wrote: 11 Jul 2021, 11:25 Yeah I must admit I thought for a second it was JJ but no it's got to be Baz!

It's JJ. Doing a Geordie accent!! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+_+